Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: DS F1 2011
Dieselstation Car Forums > Parking Lot > Motorsport
tune
Again, it may seem a bit early to talk about this, but to make sure I'm organised for next year I should make a start on updating the scoresheet for next year whenever I remember to.

Just wanted to discuss the points system we used this year and any new suggestions for next year.

Overall I was pleased with how the new system worked (thanks Clark) and felt it does reward you in the right places, so I'm not suggesting that we change that at all.

I had thought about adding the lower point scores to the Fastest Lap (i.e. if your driver had the 2nd fastest lap, you'd get 3 points) but then thought that this part of the prediction can make or break your points haul for the weekend and should be left alone.

One thing I was thinking of adding, which we did in the last round this year, is getting everyone to predict who they think the World Champion will be before the season starts. Perhaps worth 25 points if you get it right?
I'm not sure about it now - so let me know your thoughts.

There's the Joker Play idea, which I think was ruled out last year - You get 1 joker play during the season, you choose which race to play it at and it doubles your score for that weekend.

Please feel free to put forward any new suggestions or ideas. Don't be shy if you're new to the forum or would like to be involved next year, the more players the better.

tune
Right guys, it's less than a week until the first round. Have a read of the above and shout out any opinions or new ideas. I'm pretty happy with the way things are, but this isn't a dictatorship, so chip in if you like.

Looking forward to it.
skr
I like how last season's system went. I'm also for the WDC prediction pre-season too, mostly because we don't know if we will have a nail biter at the last race of the season.
shandyman5
I may have missed it but can I get some info, so I can get in on this.
Lancer007
I'm fine with that, not so hot on the joker card idea but I don't really oppose it. I just appreciate that Clark and yourself take the time and effort to allow us all to enjoy this game every year.
skr
QUOTE(shandyman5 @ Mar 21 2011, 10:43 AM) *

The object of this competition is that we predict the top 10 finishes before the grand prix starts. 3 points if you're right on the dot, 2 points if you're 1 place off, 1 point if you're 2 places off. There are other elements of the contest like fastest lap, world drivers championship predictions in the last GP, etc.. Tally the points up, and the forum member with the most points wins at the end of the season.

The beauty about this is if you get into F1, you will realize different elements with the drivers and the teams that directly affect their result. For example, one race the McLarens can be the fastest car on the grid, but the next race they are completely slow. And sometimes despite having poor qualifying, race trim of the vehicle can be fast and they can score podium finishes still. That usually is down to the driver as well. It really gets you into the sport and you can make more logical predictions based off facts and certain conditions rather than just closing your eyes and hoping for the best.
shandyman5
QUOTE(skr @ Mar 22 2011, 11:57 AM) *
The object of this competition is that we predict the top 10 finishes before the grand prix starts. 3 points if you're right on the dot, 2 points if you're 1 place off, 1 point if you're 2 places off. There are other elements of the contest like fastest lap, world drivers championship predictions in the last GP, etc.. Tally the points up, and the forum member with the most points wins at the end of the season.

The beauty about this is if you get into F1, you will realize different elements with the drivers and the teams that directly affect their result. For example, one race the McLarens can be the fastest car on the grid, but the next race they are completely slow. And sometimes despite having poor qualifying, race trim of the vehicle can be fast and they can score podium finishes still. That usually is down to the driver as well. It really gets you into the sport and you can make more logical predictions based off facts and certain conditions rather than just closing your eyes and hoping for the best.

Thanks a lot skr... I am in for this season.
bobo27
im in as usual. really liking the joker play...
tune
QUOTE(shandyman5 @ Mar 21 2011, 05:43 PM) *

Here are the provisional rules for this season. Rules 6 and 12 are currently provisional, but I suggest that by Friday a decision is made.

I figured if we're predicting Driver World Champion we might as well do Constructors too. Let me know what you all think about this and the points allocation too.

1. Predictions must be in before the race start time, anything after will not be accepted.
2. You must predict the top 10 finishing positions.
3. You must also predict the driver who will get the fastest lap during the race.
4. Before the first race of the season (Australia) you must predict who you think will be Drivers World Champion and Constructors World Champions. Your first choices will stand until the end of the season. Anyone who does not predict a Driver or Constructor World Champions before the first race, will not be eligible to earn points for these predictions.
5. 10 points will be awarded for predicting the correct Drivers World Champion.
6. 10 points will be awarded for predicting the correct Constructors World Champions.
7. 5 points will be awarded for predicting a driver in the right place or the driver with the fastest lap.
8. 3 points will be awarded for predicting a driver in the wrong place, but within 1 position of your guess.
9. 2 points will be awarded for predicting a driver in the wrong place, but within 2 positions of your guess.
10. 1 point will be awarded for predicting a driver in the wrong place, but within 3 positions of your guess.
11. You will be allowed 1 consecutive carry over if you miss a race, but will score half points for that round.
12. You will be allowed 1 "Joker" play throughout the season. At any race of your choosing, you can play your Joker and this will gain you Double Points for this prediction only.
13. Race disqualifications/altered finishing positions only count in our competition if they happen on the same day as a race.

I will keep the scores in a spreadsheet; which can be requested from me at any time.
bobo27
I vote yes for both 6 and 12. Would 6 be put in at the last race like last time or maybe halfway or beginning? Last race works for me..
Lancer007
Sounds like a plan! MarioRock-small.gif
skr
I'm in. 6 and 12 look good. Let's do this.
tune
No I think we have to do our World Championship Predictions after Australia qualifying. Otherwise how do we decide when to do these? Last year it was okay, because there were a number of drivers still in the hunt at the last race, but that might not be the case this year and the Constructors Championship could be wrapped up even sooner.

So as there have been no strong objections to these new rules, I'll consider them all approved.

The final thing I'd want feedback on is the number of points for the Championship predictions, which will be made before the start of the Aussie GP. Is 10 points for each enough? I think it's more difficult to predict, so should be worth at least double the norm for getting it spot on (5).

tune
All please note the new pinned thread for predictions here.
tune
I think we'll settle on 10 points a piece for the Championship predictions, unless anyone has any objections?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.