Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Grand National or Turbocoupe?
Dieselstation Car Forums > Parking Lot > Compare & Contrast
Mr b00st
this is an article I did for CarThrottle, it was sort of a random idea. We just installed a poll plugin for WordPress so this is one of the first posts I've done using it, and so far the Grand National is ahead of the Fox-body Thunderbird (intercooled) TurboCoupe by a lot. What's DS's collective opinion on these two 80's American turbocharged personal coupes?

link to article: CarThrottle Asks: Grand National or TurboCoupe?\

-James
fiber optic
The Ford guy in me likes the T-bird but the Grand National is the better car.
clarkma5
The Grand National has the GNX legend to carry it, but I think I would pick the Thunderbird for the manual transmission and european-ish manners. But I have to admit I know next to nothing about either of these cars...
Mr b00st
also, the money shot from the article:

oh man, do want
fiber optic
QUOTE(clarkma5 @ Nov 20 2010, 07:03 PM) *
The Grand National has the GNX legend to carry it, but I think I would pick the Thunderbird for the manual transmission and european-ish manners. But I have to admit I know next to nothing about either of these cars...

Thread tangent:
My parents had an '84 with the 3.8L it was the "Elan" trim. While the article makes it sound like this motor was gutless it wasn't. I suspect the TC to be properly quick while ours was just what I'd call "peppy". I think it only weighed around 3200 pounds so it's not like you're hustling 2-tons of fun around town. It had a completely digital dashboard. I remember the day my dad brought it home, it is amongst my earliest memories. I was 3 or 4 at the time. My brother and I both took our driving tests in it.
MustangAficionado
Uhm, yeah, GN
moe
I admit I know next to nothing about the Turbocoupe. Pretty it ain't...
Mr b00st
QUOTE(moe @ Nov 21 2010, 01:01 AM) *
I admit I know next to nothing about the Turbocoupe. Pretty it ain't...

yeah it's pretty heinous, the early versions with the sealed-beam headlights were ugly in an transitional period sort of way, stuck between LTD and Taurus, while the later ones with the flush headlights looked better but the ventilated hood was awful. I kind of like them in a kitschy retro way, but they're not pretty. How about the FoxBird's uglier cousin, the Cougar XR7 Turbo? Yikes.

moe
A family friend used to have one waaaay back in the day. Never thought much of it. Back then, I thought my dad's early 90s Protege was so much cooler because it was new.
Halflifehavock13
GNX.

Cooler, faster, better looking. I don't really know much about the turbo coupe. But even if it is more european and has a manual, it's still huge and built in the 80s.
clarkma5
QUOTE(Halflifehavock13 @ Nov 22 2010, 03:24 PM) *
GNX.

Cooler, faster, better looking. I don't really know much about the turbo coupe. But even if it is more european and has a manual, it's still huge and built in the 80s.

But GNX != Grand National...read the article.
Altostratus
turbocoupe.

because its easier to find one for $500.
moe
Is it wrong that I want a Cougar XR7 Turbo now? *starts searching classifieds*
nismo
T-Type plz
Mr b00st
QUOTE(clarkma5 @ Nov 22 2010, 06:56 PM) *
But GNX != Grand National...read the article.

thank you, so many people call them GNX's, they're not

There were a lot of differences underneath the car
Halflifehavock13
QUOTE(Mr b00st @ Nov 24 2010, 11:27 AM) *
thank you, so many people call them GNX's, they're not

There were a lot of differences underneath the car

Derp.

My bad. I always end up calling the Grand National the GNX just out of habit.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.