Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Epic Aussie Racing
Dieselstation Car Forums > Parking Lot > Motorsport
moe

This is just phenomenal.
SwissWhiskey
Watched it 3-4 times in 24 hours. Its this kind of stuff that makes you forget F1. DTM and this really deserves more attention.
bankE46
This is what nascar should be! They already have the cars with very equal specs, they already have the attitude to put on an emotional, fender-bumping show, they already have the driving skill, all they lack is the tracks. People would love this stuff. They need to get off the damn ovals and start racing!
clarkma5
DTM's kinda boring, honestly...the cars have too much downforce and don't overtake too often, and also don't move around much, most of the action happens due to the required 2-stop pit rules. V8 Supercars has a lot more car movement and the ability to follow extremely closely, like proper touring car racing except with twice the power.
shandyman5
QUOTE(bankE46 @ Oct 27 2010, 03:57 PM) *
This is what nascar should be! They already have the cars with very equal specs, they already have the attitude to put on an emotional, fender-bumping show, they already have the driving skill, all they lack is the tracks. People would love this stuff. They need to get off the damn ovals and start racing!

You ever watch the Nascar road course races? They are awesome races! They show that the drivers like Marcus Ambrose and Juan Pablo Montoya can truly drive while the circle humpers, suck on anything but an oval.... However, I must say a Nascar race should be watched live by at least everyone once in their lives. I thought Nascar was dumb as shit, until a friend invited me to go to the Charlotte race two weeks ago. I was very impressed, it was a cool experience that gave me an appreciation for the sport, and I thought it was a lot of fun.
Nike SB'd
QUOTE(clarkma5 @ Oct 27 2010, 01:40 PM) *
DTM's kinda boring, honestly...the cars have too much downforce and don't overtake too often, and also don't move around much, most of the action happens due to the required 2-stop pit rules. V8 Supercars has a lot more car movement and the ability to follow extremely closely, like proper touring car racing except with twice the power.

I agree about DTM, but there are other touring car series like BTCC and WTCC that have lots of car-slamming extremely close races.

QUOTE(shandyman5 @ Oct 27 2010, 03:01 PM) *
You ever watch the Nascar road course races? They are awesome races! They show that the drivers like Marcus Ambrose and Juan Pablo Montoya can truly drive while the circle humpers, suck on anything but an oval.... However, I must say a Nascar race should be watched live by at least everyone once in their lives. I thought Nascar was dumb as shit, until a friend invited me to go to the Charlotte race two weeks ago. I was very impressed, it was a cool experience that gave me an appreciation for the sport, and I thought it was a lot of fun.

Ya Nascar's road races are definitely interesting... still waiting to go to a race myself - I allllmost went to the Pepsi Max 400 but I applied for credentials too late. As much as I dislike circle track compared to other forms of racing it's still racing and I think I should experience it at least once before blindly writing it off like most people do.
clarkma5
BTCC is exceptionally exciting, WTCC less so but also good. I watch them both.
Razor
Gah... why do you guys seem to continuously overlook the Le Mans and American Le Mans Series? Some of the best and most exciting driving in all motorsport! The GT class in the sub-three hour races is unbelievable to watch, and LMP is epic for both the cars and the rivalry (yet without the ridiculous F1-style drama).
clarkma5
The races are too damned long and their rules are far too inconsistent from season to season...

I read summaries of the races in my Porsche magazine and read the autosport articles and that's about it.
Nike SB'd
QUOTE(Razor @ Oct 27 2010, 04:57 PM) *
Gah... why do you guys seem to continuously overlook the Le Mans and American Le Mans Series? Some of the best and most exciting driving in all motorsport! The GT class in the sub-three hour races is unbelievable to watch, and LMP is epic for both the cars and the rivalry (yet without the ridiculous F1-style drama).

I actually prefer sports car/endurance racing to Touring cars... but the topic of discussion was touring cars. I am trying to on attend every ALMS race next season and you're right the racing is extremely well balanced, especially given the diversity of the cars in the series when compared to touring races. I am also hoping to attend the 24h of Nürburging again next year along with 24h of Le Mans and 24h of Spa.

I can understand how some people would get bored of longer distance races if they are watching them online or on TV but if you're @ the race they're amazing.
MustangAficionado
Interviewing them while they are driving into pits: bad ass
No Budwiezer hat they have to put on while getting interviewed stepping out of the car: bad ass
No speech about how they couldn't have done it w/out their sponsors: thank god
Razor
QUOTE(Nike SB'd @ Oct 27 2010, 11:16 PM) *
I actually prefer sports car/endurance racing to Touring cars... but the topic of discussion was touring cars. I am trying to on attend every ALMS race next season and you're right the racing is extremely well balanced, especially given the diversity of the cars in the series when compared to touring races. I am also hoping to attend the 24h of Nürburging again next year along with 24h of Le Mans and 24h of Spa.

I can understand how some people would get bored of longer distance races if they are watching them online or on TV but if you're @ the race they're amazing.

THANK you... you clearly get it. And damn, I'm jealous of that race attendance schedule. I'll be watching them all so I expect a post from each one. tongue.gif
dukenukem
On the topic of epic battles ..

BORKED
shandyman5
^ That was an AWESOME conclusion
Nike SB'd
QUOTE(shandyman5 @ Oct 27 2010, 10:15 PM) *

And that is after SIX HOURS of racing (not twenty something laps like sprint races), just to give an idea of exactly how close ALMS GT2 is. And finishes like this aren't rare, it's actually very often that the battle for the GT2 lead spans the entire length of the race - just look at the results from this year's Petit Le Mans - amazing. IMO the best racing right now is ALMS GT2 and FIA GT3, just so close. Another Bergmeister epic...

BORKED
Razor
QUOTE(shandyman5 @ Oct 28 2010, 01:15 AM) *

Laguna Seca this year was unbelievable too... but BMW instead of Corvette against the Flying Lizard car... but Patrick Long held it until the end... it was amazing.
dukenukem
QUOTE(Razor @ Oct 28 2010, 10:10 AM) *
Laguna Seca this year was unbelievable too... but BMW instead of Corvette against the Flying Lizard car... but Patrick Long held it until the end... it was amazing.

What the hell happened to the Corvettes in 2010?
Razor
QUOTE(dukenukem @ Oct 28 2010, 12:45 PM) *
What the hell happened to the Corvettes in 2010?

misnblu
dukenukem, thank you for posting that video because I watched that live (on tv of course) when it happened and it's one of the most exciting races I've seen in some time.
I love the ALMS series and all motorsports with the exception of Nascar.
I wish Speed would provide more of the coverage of true motorsports which they do on occasion having the Australian super cars series showing from time to time.

I never miss a F1 race when I can and have been keeping up with it since 2008.
The ALMS series is another I actually make time for because as stated the GT2 and GT3 racing is phenomenal.
Since the Corvettes have now moved to the higher GT division, they've got alot of work to do to become more competitive but the last race they finally had a win with one of the leaders running out of gas (I can't remember all the details of it) giving the win to the Corvette team.

On another form of motorsport is the MotoGP series, SBK, and AMA series which I've been keeping up with.
Honestly, I've seen more lead changes and close finishes watching motor bike racing than I have with 4 wheel motorsports.
I'm not biased here but the racing is more extreme with equal speed and way more ballsy players in the two wheel world.

Great topic here and another reason I so adore this place.
Btw, who do I thank for creating this forum anyway?

fiber optic
QUOTE(bankE46 @ Oct 27 2010, 02:57 PM) *

These are closer to "stock cars" too. Very exciting to watch IMO.
shandyman5
QUOTE(misnblu @ Oct 29 2010, 12:45 AM) *
dukenukem, thank you for posting that video because I watched that live (on tv of course) when it happened and it's one of the most exciting races I've seen in some time.
I love the ALMS series and all motorsports with the exception of Nascar.
I wish Speed would provide more of the coverage of true motorsports which they do on occasion having the Australian super cars series showing from time to time.

I never miss a F1 race when I can and have been keeping up with it since 2008.
The ALMS series is another I actually make time for because as stated the GT2 and GT3 racing is phenomenal.
Since the Corvettes have now moved to the higher GT division, they've got alot of work to do to become more competitive but the last race they finally had a win with one of the leaders running out of gas (I can't remember all the details of it) giving the win to the Corvette team.

On another form of motorsport is the MotoGP series, SBK, and AMA series which I've been keeping up with.
Honestly, I've seen more lead changes and close finishes watching motor bike racing than I have with 4 wheel motorsports.
I'm not biased here but the racing is more extreme with equal speed and way more ballsy players in the two wheel world.

Great topic here and another reason I so adore this place.
Btw, who do I thank for creating this forum anyway?

Diesel.... Thank Ketan for destryoing it. Raspberry.gif
moe
My boss is Aussie, and a hardcore race fan. He saw me tweet the first video from this thread on my Twitter (he follows me on Twitter, we're working on some social media stuff), and dragged me into the office to talk about it. He convinced me to start watching V8 Supercars, and also said he never misses an F1 race. Watches them at a bar near the office. Said for the next few races, if I don't have too much on my plate we're going to have to head down there. Reason #2 why I love my job.
tune
I've picked up Aussie V8s this year and it's been great. Shame the coverage on Motors is delayed by a week usually and doesn't series link on my Sky+ so I'm forever looking for repeats.

BTCC was great this year, as it was the season before, it really is back to the racing of old after the "Vauxhall-era".
WTCC is less exciting, but can provide great racing now and again, still a decent title fight going on this season.

I agree with Nike SB'd, I find endurance racing a lot more interesting when you're there. One of the best things about going to Le Mans every year is Radio Le Mans, being able to follow the action without actually seeing it all. When I'm at home, I don't have the time to sit and watch a full endurance race unfortunately, but can be great.

The clip below doesn't show the absolute mission McNish went on to win the 2008 Petit Le Mans, just where he eventually passed the Peugeot, but it was absolutely awesome to watch at the time.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.