Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 04 cobra auto drivetrain build
Dieselstation Car Forums > Parking Lot > User's Rides
Pages: 1, 2
MustangAficionado
Last 3 months I've been looking at cars on CR and ebay on the west coast hardcore to find a nice paint/no collision history 99-04 mustang that blew up its drivetrain or the like for 1.5-2.5K (GT) 2-3.5K (Cobra) with no luck. (let me know otherwise). Dont even need a rear end, interior, suspension ect.
Anywho, I found myself slipping out of mustang forums and losing some of my verbiage, so I've been buying some parts.
This is what will be a 04 Cobra longblock attached to my old built auto. I'll prolly Hex the set-up, use some of the cash on a 6-speed replacement.

I excited about these, found a 04 pair locally which means 9 thread SP holes which is more rare. New valves, too. Just need to be surfaced to OE ra.
dukenukem
Shoe horn that thing into a EVO body and profit?

Good luck with the build.
MustangAficionado
QUOTE(dukenukem @ Oct 24 2010, 02:52 PM) *
Shoe horn that thing into a EVO body and profit?

Good luck with the build.

Whats funny is if you just put an intake on the engine with these and full exhaust/intake/tune it's only 310/315 to the ground. Wouldnt even help an EVO. They just love boost.
shandyman5
QUOTE(MustangAficionado @ Oct 24 2010, 06:48 PM) *
Whats funny is if you just put an intake on the engine with these and full exhaust/intake/tune it's only 310/315 to the ground. Wouldnt even help an EVO. They just love boost.

Where is the blower?? lol.

What happened to your red SN-95 body?
MustangAficionado
QUOTE(shandyman5 @ Oct 24 2010, 04:17 PM) *
Where is the blower?? lol.

What happened to your red SN-95 body?

There is no blower, it's just a longblock. I didn't take these out of a cobra, they are just a mix match of parts that when put together make one.

I drove the stang off a mountain sad.gif
shandyman5
QUOTE(MustangAficionado @ Oct 24 2010, 07:26 PM) *
There is no blower, it's just a longblock. I didn't take these out of a cobra, they are just a mix match of parts that when put together make one.

I drove the stang off a mountain sad.gif

Looks like the block is painted... Iron or aluminum?
Aircooled
Those heads look tasty
MustangAficionado
QUOTE(shandyman5 @ Oct 24 2010, 05:13 PM) *
Looks like the block is painted... Iron or aluminum?

03/04 cobra blocks are iron. My 850hp built shortblock is also iron, painted black.

Death to NPI

shandyman5
Oh sorry I didn't see where you had said it was a Cobra long block. I knew they were iron just missed the picture caption Raspberry.gif
MustangAficionado
Not a cobra longblock yet, will be when im done
fiber optic
So let me see if I've got this correct.

1.) Your other built motor is sitting on an engine stand
2.) You're building this on the side due to boredom
3.) You don't have a car for either.

If all of the above is correct then you have earned my "E-Hero of the Year Award 2010"
Halflifehavock13
Drop it in an old volvo asap.
MustangAficionado
Update: Heads are at the machine shop to make em flat and correct RA just in case.

QUOTE(fiber optic @ Oct 25 2010, 08:50 AM) *
So let me see if I've got this correct.

1.) Your other built motor is sitting on an engine stand
2.) You're building this on the side due to boredom
3.) You don't have a car for either.

If all of the above is correct then you have earned my "E-Hero of the Year Award 2010"

Actually:
Engine A: my built 4.7 shortblock, ported PI heads, custom cams, TVS blower blah blah
Engine B: Whats left heads down from my 96 after crash. Separated and dissected chilling on the floor.
Engine C: What I'm building now.

Looking for a car to put A in, tho.

QUOTE(Halflifehavock13 @ Oct 25 2010, 11:26 AM) *
Drop it in an old volvo asap.

Zomg, my roomie's wagon is sitting in my driveway idle cuz of his love for his new miata.
Win?
fiber optic
QUOTE(MustangAficionado @ Oct 25 2010, 07:24 PM) *
Actually:
Engine A: my built 4.7 shortblock, ported PI heads, custom cams, TVS blower blah blah
Engine B: Whats left heads down from my 96 after crash. Separated and dissected chilling on the floor.
Engine C: What I'm building now.

Looking for a car to put A in, tho.

You're trying to win 2 in a row aren't you?
MustangAficionado
fiber optic
How much did they have to take off?
MustangAficionado
QUOTE(fiber optic @ Oct 26 2010, 05:28 PM) *
How much did they have to take off?

1.5-2 thousandths
Bjorn
Volvo wagon with a Mustang Cobra engine?

I feel kinda funny, like when they made me climb the pole in gym class.
fiber optic
QUOTE(Bjorn @ Oct 27 2010, 08:42 AM) *
Volvo wagon with a Mustang Cobra engine?

I feel kinda funny, like when they made me climb the pole in gym class.

I'm following a build on turbomustangs of a project affectionately called "The Lolvo". It's a 740 wagon with the drivetrain from an explorer...plus a holset hx40.
moe
QUOTE(MustangAficionado @ Oct 26 2010, 04:24 AM) *
Zomg, my roomie's wagon is sitting in my driveway idle cuz of his love for his new miata.
Win?

So much win. Do it. Please.

QUOTE(fiber optic @ Oct 27 2010, 09:00 PM) *
I'm following a build on turbomustangs of a project affectionately called "The Lolvo". It's a 740 wagon with the drivetrain from an explorer...plus a holset hx40.

Haha, I love the Lolvo, he better get custom plates which say that.
MustangAficionado
OMG, so much work on that 5.0. And a 4.6 would be even more work. Yikes.
dukenukem
Use this as a body for one of your engines ...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/LAST-YEAR-F...=item3f04435caf

Ice Ice Baby!
Halflifehavock13
QUOTE(dukenukem @ Oct 28 2010, 01:06 AM) *

Ice Ice Baby!

Its DISIBRIBLE.
fiber optic
QUOTE(dukenukem @ Oct 28 2010, 12:06 AM) *

Ice Ice Baby!

Way too much work and butter required to get the 4.6L OHC motors to fit and not worth it IMO.

And the infamous comparison pic:

dukenukem
QUOTE(fiber optic @ Oct 29 2010, 10:36 AM) *
Way too much work and butter required to get the 4.6L OHC motors to fit and not worth it IMO.

And the infamous comparison pic:

No pain no gain.
MustangAficionado
fiber optic
Stock forged piece? I'm assuming it's an 8-bolt.

I think my truck may have a 6 but I've never seen it. I think I'll need to pull the motor or trans to be sure, all the information on the web is inconclusive.
MustangAficionado
QUOTE(fiber optic @ Oct 30 2010, 05:39 AM) *
Stock forged piece? I'm assuming it's an 8-bolt.

I think my truck may have a 6 but I've never seen it. I think I'll need to pull the motor or trans to be sure, all the information on the web is inconclusive.

8-bolt and forged mean/are the same thing. You can also count the counterweights, a 6-bolt has the two center one's missing.
What year and model is your truck, I can tell ya.
Altostratus
i want a project engine more than i wan't(more)sex.
fiber optic
QUOTE(MustangAficionado @ Oct 30 2010, 12:57 PM) *
8-bolt and forged mean/are the same thing. You can also count the counterweights, a 6-bolt has the two center one's missing.
What year and model is your truck, I can tell ya.

1997 F-150 I'm certain it's a Windsor motor and not a Romeo, VIN code 6
MustangAficionado
That would be a 6 bolt cast crank, or actually 8 bolt cast crank if it really is the post Romeo plant burning down Windsor. But that happened in 98 or so which means 99-00 were those Windsor 4.6's.
Thats how I got my 8 bolt flex plate, because no cobra's come with auto's so you'd think there isnt a 8 bolt flex plate, but for two years there are 8 bolt cast cranks on the windsor platforms.
MustangAficionado

Razor
<badPun>Manley is right.</badPun>
fiber optic
Have you heard of/do you have any opinion on the Baumann OptiShift (previously the TCS) transmission controller? It would simplify a lot of the things I mentioned in our PM exchange, at a cost of course. I downloaded and played with the software a bit and it looks promising.
MustangAficionado
I dont remember discussing transmissions w/ ya for some reason. Im satisfied to a point with the tunability of the auto trans with standard SCT software, line pressures, shift points, shift times/firmness. Im not sure I'd require a lot more unless it was a complete drag strip monster.
fiber optic
QUOTE(MustangAficionado @ Nov 3 2010, 06:27 PM) *
I dont remember discussing transmissions w/ ya for some reason. Im satisfied to a point with the tunability of the auto trans with standard SCT software, line pressures, shift points, shift times/firmness. Im not sure I'd require a lot more unless it was a complete drag strip monster.

Doh! I forgot to mention the trans.

I'm not even a little bit familiar with the SCT software.
Assuming I do anything at all, I'm leaning toward the Megasquirt. All the VW guys that have gone to FI and/or distributorless ignition swear by it. Several have shown up in builds on TurboMustangs.com as well. But, as you know, doing that with the 4R70W means it needs to run in parallel with the stock PCM or I need something like the OptiShift. I'll try the parallel at first to save the green while on a stock setup then go from there.

All still very long term plans though. I suspect you'll have a shell for this motor and will have built 4 more by the time I do anything. Trying to finish up the VW before indulging in more garage based festivities.
Altostratus
Potential ?
shandyman5
QUOTE(Altostratus @ Nov 4 2010, 11:21 AM) *

Jesus what a piece of shit, and it has a salvage title.... Run away from that white heap.
Altostratus
if he plans on tearing the engine out, and has a majoraty of components compiled....it would be project car potential at the price point.
fiber optic
It's also in Texas and I think MA is in San Diego area.
MustangAficionado
94's come with a 5.0 (and the cobra version isnt much more special) so none of it is swappable over. Well, a lot of suspension parts, but that's it.

Im actually looking for 99-04's (mach 1, bullit, and cobra's i'd pay more for). Preferably something with a blown up engine, rod knock, blown trans ect. With great paint. Just happens to be around here (500 mile) all the great deals have running engines and piss poor bodies.

Also no salvage, crash histories scare me on a frame/body thats going to be welded on and see 700+hp.

I definitely appreciate anyone looking, tho.
MustangAficionado
Sold the iron block and going a different route.

Maybe i can get my friend's camera that is easily set up on time elapse and show a sped up me building the shortblock like a TV show.
fiber optic
QUOTE(MustangAficionado @ Nov 5 2010, 03:53 PM) *
Sold the iron block and going a different route.

Maybe i can get my friend's camera that is easily set up on time elapse and show a sped up me building the shortblock like a TV show.

Going for an aluminum block? I'm in for the pics!
MustangAficionado
QUOTE(fiber optic @ Nov 5 2010, 01:18 PM) *
Going for an aluminum block? I'm in for the pics!

Shh! Don't spoil it!

WAP or Teksid
fiber optic
QUOTE(MustangAficionado @ Nov 5 2010, 04:29 PM) *
WAP or Teksid

Are you asking me or telling me? I've seen some sweet Teksids pass on ebay.

If it's not iron what else could it be?
MustangAficionado
Im saying it will be one of the two, haven't decided yet. Can't get too expensive, but also has to have some good parts reputation.

Most people selling a Teksid think they are Picasso's, I mean yes I know the company that made Lamborghini's blocks made them, but Christ. I'm not having a V8 engine block shipped.
fiber optic
QUOTE(MustangAficionado @ Nov 5 2010, 05:05 PM) *
Im saying it will be one of the two, haven't decided yet. Can't get too expensive, but also has to have some good parts reputation.

Most people selling a Teksid think they are Picasso's, I mean yes I know the company that made Lamborghini's blocks made them, but Christ. I'm not having a V8 engine block shipped.

The word got out on 'em and you're right. I still need to find some local yards to scrounge.
MustangAficionado
Looking for something like this near me (for the other built engine)
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1999-Ford-M...c#ht_500wt_1182
shandyman5
Manual this time around??

Just go the aluminator route with a whipple... oh wait you said not to expensive. damn that would be sweet. head.gif
MustangAficionado
QUOTE(shandyman5 @ Nov 5 2010, 03:51 PM) *
Manual this time around??

Just go the aluminator route with a whipple... oh wait you said not to expensive. damn that would be sweet. head.gif

Yeah, im not building this one for me. I built my last shortblock so cheap I figured I do it again in my spare time and hock it.
My built 1900 TVS blown car can be manual or auto, I have no preference.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.