Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Triggers Triggers Triggers
Dieselstation Car Forums > Multimedia > Photography > Gear & Equipment
Seethegrim
So.

I'm no millionaire just yet. This means I can't afford to spill mega bucks on a new set of PocketWizards for all my lights (I would need about 5).

My current setup is the Cactus v4's which are pretty good, but after several months, are starting to annoy me by their selective working -especially outdoors.

Now I've been doing a lot of reading on other alternatives: RadioPoppers, etc etc.

I've come across these bad boys, which I'm hoping someone has used/experience with. They look very very promising & at an affordable price too:

http://www.phottix.com/phottix-atlas-profe...sh-trigger.html

Any thoughts/opinions?
AndrewJennings
I can't speak to those, but I have a set of radio popper JrX and have been pretty pleased with them. Works well with Alienbees, or with a PW Pre-trigger cable over long distances - I've tested at least 200 ft with no issue.

I got the studio version of the receivers, but in retrospect I probably didn't need to. I think this is really for "studio" only when using a modeling light to know just how bright the adjustment is. In the field where you don't have the modeling light on, you really don't need it.
maccan
I recently bought 4 x atlas transievers. i love em endlessly.
the flashes fires every single time and it doesnt matter how far away you are,
or how many objects there is in the line of fire.
really, i did the 100m experiment and it worked!

apparently, these dudes have more reach than pws.

the quality feels really good, (as good as a plastic can be)

/maccan

Mrlinky
QUOTE(maccan @ Oct 26 2010, 11:16 PM) *

/maccan

can you buy these online?
Nike SB'd
Seagram trust me, buy pocket wizards. You will only buy them once. It's worth the investment. As your lights change your PWs will not. You don't have to keep buying new slightly better triggers and selling the old ones and in the long run you'll have a better product for little more investment. Not to mention they're the industry standard and many other products (light meters, packs etc) have PW stuff built right in. Not to mention depending on your light setup I might have a solution that would require 3 PWs - PM me and let me know what you're using.
Dragos
very true man....don't buy cheap when it comes to triggers...you will regret it ! I have the enlinchrome triggers which are great for studio work but on the field you can easily brake them.
Seethegrim
QUOTE(maccan @ Oct 27 2010, 07:16 AM) *

/maccan

Thats pretty much what every review I've read about them says! Glad to know you also find them work well.

QUOTE(Mrlinky @ Oct 29 2010, 02:21 AM) *
can you buy these online?

Yep: http://www.phottixstore.com/studio-accesso...sh-trigger.html

QUOTE(Nike SB'd @ Oct 29 2010, 05:42 AM) *
Seagram trust me, buy pocket wizards. You will only buy them once. It's worth the investment. As your lights change your PWs will not. You don't have to keep buying new slightly better triggers and selling the old ones and in the long run you'll have a better product for little more investment. Not to mention they're the industry standard and many other products (light meters, packs etc) have PW stuff built right in. Not to mention depending on your light setup I might have a solution that would require 3 PWs - PM me and let me know what you're using.

I'm totally on the same page on buying the proper thing once. I'm normally like that. But these Phottix Atlas triggers are getting BETTER reviews than the PW's. On distance, reliability... almost everything. Seeing as these 2 brands are now competing directly, almost all of the tests I've read up about are pitching PW's against the Altas'. And in everyone's reviews, the Atlas' outperform the PW's.

The added bonus is that I can also put my current collection of speedlights & vivtars directly into the Atlas', where I can't on the PW without an extra device.

TBH, I've pretty much already made up my mind about these Atlas triggers. I just wanted to check if anyone I know personally has had any major ups/downs using them.
TheMidgetFlinger
Have a look at YongNuo RF-602's. I've had mine for a while now and so long as you use fresh batteries they've been 100% reliable up to about 30m.
They're cheap as chips too! smile.gif
Toofast
Just got my 3 x atlas transievers and like Maccan said LOVE EM 2 wink.gif works really good looks good smile.gif.

// Patrik
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2018 Invision Power Services, Inc.