Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: So the way I edit is very very very wrong.
Dieselstation Car Forums > Multimedia > Photography > Technique & Tutorials
Carter N
So after lurking this site and reading up on what different people do I think I have come to a conclusion that my form of editing is, wrong, bad, etc etc.

basically I am shooting in JPG. loading into photoshop, opening up ACR (adobe camera raw) and changing the blacks, brightness, fill light, and contrast. those are usually the only 4 things i ever change... however I feel like this is a bad habbit that I need to break if I ever want to take my photography beyond the skill level I am at now...

So I guess my real question is, what is the correct way to go about editting? or am I just crazy... I feel like lots of photogs on this site have this ability to create surreal looking cars and I just can't put my finger on where to go/start, etc.

I am just looking for tips... I feel like I need to scrap everything I think I know and start over.

Thanks!
Mr.D
There are no rights and wrongs.
Read books, magazines, look at tutorials, experiment and practice.
It takes time to learn things, you dont start painting Mona Lisa material day 1.
Its maybe not what you want to hear, but there are no short cuts.
Seethegrim
QUOTE(Mr.D @ Oct 21 2010, 10:31 AM) *
There are no rights and wrongs.
Read books, magazines, look at tutorials, experiment and practice.
It takes time to learn things, you dont start painting Mona Lisa material day 1.
Its maybe not what you want to hear, but there are no short cuts.

This.

+

Shoot in RAW. You have a lot more flexibility as far as image data goes if you do.

Thats about the only rule I can think of. tongue.gif

Google photoshop tutorial sites. There are millions of tutorials on how to do different effects in PS!
Carter N
Thanks guys... I'm reading reading reading...

Quicksilver
Google photoshop tutorial sites. There are millions of tutorials on how to do different effects in PS!

the only problem with that is there are too many site out there offering tutorials, most of which are useless it would be nice to be able to find a forum like this where people would give tutorials on editing but a lot of people here are professionals and don't want to give away there secrets or don't have time to make tutorials
marki
Exactly... have maybe anyone really good site with tutorials?
TW0R
Youtube "Lynda photoshop top 40" for some good tutorials.

And Carter, I sometimes ONLY edit in RAW 8)
HenrikssonMedia
I can share a bit of my workflow, it can vary depending on the desired effect i want to have for the session but usually its something quite similar.

I start off with PS Camera Raw, adjust all sliders to 0 or minimum, thats removing all extra brightness, black, contrast, sharpness etc etc. I usually go with "As shot" on whitebalance. I dont want photoshop to make any changes to my image at this stage. I usually edit in 16bit enviroment aswell so changing from standard 8bit to 16bit doesnt hurt.
With all sliders at 0 i press ok and go on to photoshop.
In short therms, this is where the magic happens, curves to adjust brightness, contrast and whitebalance. For sharpness i usually go with unsharpenmask, i also like to apply this in the "Lab color mode" which gives me the ability to apply USM on only the black and white part of the image, this to prevent colornoise and colors to get messy.

Thats my usual workflow. But as Mr D said, there is no right and wrong. Just practice and find your own style!
Martin
I'd say do what you do, maybe add something that controls colors like hue/saturation or selective color. I think the biggest secret is working with these tools piece by piece. Separate background from car and so on.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2018 Invision Power Services, Inc.