Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: PRINT IT...ARRRRRRGH IT'S DARK!
Dieselstation Car Forums > Multimedia > Photography > Technique & Tutorials
daniele fontanin
Guys, maybe it is a stupid question...but I would like to understand how to work on the pics in order to have a great result in printing.
Yes...I do not have anything for calibrate the monitor and so on...and I tryed to print the pic of the two lotus that you can see under my name: the result is dark, the white exige is "yellow" and all the pic is strange...what do you think about? Where I made errors?

I would like to print some pics for some friends, but I'm afraid about the result!

PS: please...let me know how to take cool automotive pics and cool rig shots!
:-(((
Seethegrim
When it comes to color proofing, you HAVE to be working off a calibrated screen at the very least.

Several solutions:

1. Get a printing color profile from the place that is doing your printing. They should have a color profile for their printers. Load that up into PS as your color working space & see if it makes a huge difference.

2. When you're at the printing place, ask them nicely if you can double check your color tones on one of their system machines that has a calibrated screen to the printer. They generally have 1 pc/mac that runs next to the printer which is the 'workhorse' system that que's the print jobs, etc etc.

3. Go buy a color calibrator!

4. ....

5. PROFIT!
Blue Devil
Or....

http://www.mpix.com/
daniele fontanin
I'm ok for the prints: I mean: I use a world wide leader in prints (weddings) that is situated 5 km far from my house.
I think that the problem is...first of all the profile, secondo my post prod (maybe) and also the calibration...so...I'm going to die!
laugh.gif
I will try to ask to use the mac that they are going to use for prints...before to print the pic...And I will ask for the calibrator...It's the only way I think!
DonJuanMair
Just as simple as making sure the color space is the same. Just ask the printing company what color space they print in should be a good start.
I love mpix like bluedevil suggested they request srgb and my pics look amazing from there!

Oh on a side note I ordered from ezprints and the pics came out tad underexposed.
When ordering the same file from mpix it came out perfect so it also depends on the printing company
daniele fontanin
Guys, bad bad bad.
Black black black.
Blue - cyan - super white and black black black.

Can you help me?
I think that my problem is camera raw / photoshop colours profile, Working Space, Color Management Policies and so on.

I'm going to give you the info that I use (I never changed settings...I think that all settings are wrong...): I have PS4 italian version, but you can easly undestand the info!
Tell me please what's wrong...I'm going crazy!!!!!!!!!!!

1 - open file .CR2 double click

2 - CAMERA RAW settings:

3 - CLICK open

4 - photoshop settings:

5 - another info

6 - after PP, this is the way that I use to save images in jpeg

Ok: I know that something is wrong. I hope that something is wrong. But i don't know what.
I need you help guys...I need you!

Oh, anther strange situation:
If I save the jpeg file with ICC ADOBE RGB 1998

this is the result (picture on the left): saturation and colours are changed...why???????????

I'm going CRAZY!!!!
And printing the images the result is SHIT!
Lights are too much white.
Black is too much black.
Yellow is not present.
Blu/cyan is oversaturated.
And the image is...it's a SHIT!
:-(

Can you help me???

Thankk you in advance guys!
DonJuanMair
i always change it to srgb dude for everything. Thats always the last thing i do
MaTBoY
... steal underpants.
Nike SB'd
QUOTE(daniele fontanin @ Mar 31 2011, 01:32 PM) *
Guys, bad bad bad.
Black black black.
Blue - cyan - super white and black black black.

I'm going CRAZY!!!!
And printing the images the result is SHIT!
Lights are too much white.
Black is too much black.
Yellow is not present.
Blu/cyan is oversaturated.
And the image is...it's a SHIT!
:-(

Can you help me???

Thankk you in advance guys!

Adobe RGB is a wide-gamut color space (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adobe_RGB_color_space) that is proprietary to Adobe applications and very few other apps will read it properly (as you noticed in Windows picture/fax viewer) because they assume the numerical values they are reading correspond to sRGB which they don't. It's great for editing but terrible for output. As Anthony suggested convert the image to sRGB then try printing it again. Technically you'll get the best results by converting completely away from RGB into a CMYK colorspace since that's what printers use anyway.
hansvonaxion
Sometimes the best thing to do is to ask the printer how they want the files, they can usually advise you in the process and possibly even lend you a calibrator if you need it. They want repeat business and they want to provide good results so it's in their best interest to help the client. I used to use Adobe RGB but the printer actually used sRGB. Of course I could always convert for print but sRGB simplifies other things too.

Looking at your settings above it seems you have your working space set to "monitor". Change that to "Adobe RGB" if that's what you want to use.

Also below that, do you have colour management turned off for RGB? (I don't know the Italian). Change that to "preserve embedded profiles" (and convert later if necessary) or "convert to working space".

And you showed a screenshot for "apply profile", you shouldn't use that option, always "covert to profile". (I once applied sRGB instead of converting by accident and the print was terrible)

Always tick the "embed profile" box when saving for print even if the colours change when opened in a different program, as mentioned already, images with Adobe RGB profile won't display properly on screen in some applications - using sRGB will solve that but it depends what your printer prefers.

I've never used a calibrated monitor at home and I've never had problems with printing, I don't think it's as critical as getting the basic settings correct in the first place.
AmuseGT1
QUOTE(Nike SB'd @ Apr 7 2011, 04:55 PM) *
Adobe RGB is a wide-gamut color space (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adobe_RGB_color_space) that is proprietary to Adobe applications and very few other apps will read it properly (as you noticed in Windows picture/fax viewer) because they assume the numerical values they are reading correspond to sRGB which they don't. It's great for editing but terrible for output. As Anthony suggested convert the image to sRGB then try printing it again. Technically you'll get the best results by converting completely away from RGB into a CMYK colorspace since that's what printers use anyway.

i will agree with this, the few times i have print my images were converted to cmyk just before printing, don't know why but for some reason doing this always gave me a more accurate finished product.
hansvonaxion
It depends on the type of print. If you're printing on photographic paper (Lambda for example) then obviously you won't convert to CMYK. When printing full colour process there are many other variables that can affect the final print so first I suggest looking at the points I mentioned then talk to your printer (especially if printing full colour process) to find out whether they prefer RGB files for colour management or CMYK, and if they want you to convert to CMYK which settings would yield the best results.
daniele fontanin
guys, is it possibile that the problem of different colours is cause of the monitor?
Maybe the profile or ICC?
daniele fontanin
Guys, here I am!
I'm trying to understand if the problem is PS or my monitor or something else.
I tryed to open some of your files (pics) to understand if the problem is mine (with my pics) or it is a "360" problem...I think that the problem is a 360 problem sad.gif

Take a look here: if I try to open the files in PS all the colours are different! Black, red, cyan...all is different!

What do you think?
I'm feeling like a sh***T!
hansvonaxion
I just noticed you have your monitor set to Adobe RGB?!
Now your monitor is set to colour space, not a profile.

Set your monitor to default factory (you can calibrate with the built-in software at this stage).

Set the working colour space in PS to Adobe RGB (or sRGB).

Make sure you convert to profile when necessary, not apply profile.

Embed profile when saving.

Even doing this may not change the way a photo with Adobe RGB embedded as the colour space displays differently in Windows photo viewer(?) and PS. If the photo viewer can only display sRGB and the photo has Adobe RGB embedded as the colour space it will display differently no matter what.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2018 Invision Power Services, Inc.