Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: My rides
Dieselstation Car Forums > Parking Lot > User's Rides
misnblu
I thought I'd introduce myself here with a display of my rides.
They're diverse but all mine and I do all the work on them.
I was led to this site through GTPlanet.net which I'm an original member and liked what I'd seen so I'm here.

Enjoy.

My Cavalier. Yeah I know, most hate these but this one is special.

My Porsche which is my new project.

My daily driver and money maker.

Thanks for looking. biggrin.gif
Altostratus
err
MustangAficionado
Not too diverse, all coups
misnblu
Awesome welcome. Raspberry.gif

The Cavalier has been built from the ground up with the exception of the engine and tranny.
I've got a Steigmeier built M45 supercharger sitting at the house waiting for injectors, fuel pump, and smaller starter vefore it's installed.
I've never had a bad comment on the car whether in person or online. thumbs_up.gif

The Porsches already had the suspension changed out with Bilsteins in the back and Sachs in the front with custom pillow ball mounts for the front. S2 front and rear swaybars already grace the car with the stockers removed.
I plan on a restoration/ performance build on it with some form of eventual boost for the 944.

I'm proud of my work. blush.gif
I thought it may be appreciated since I'd seen that most of you are car geeks. biggrin.gif
It's cool though as I enjoy them immensely. angel.gif

QUOTE(MustangAficionado)
Not too diverse, all coups

True but my definition of diverse would say they're all different. One a sports car, one a car everybody hates, and the other most don't look at or forgot about.

So far I've enjoyed browsing through the forums.
I've seen alot of sarcasm but that's no different than the forums I have or others I venture.
I think I'll stick around if that's alright with everyone here. angel.gif
fiber optic
QUOTE(misnblu @ Oct 7 2010, 07:18 PM) *
So far I've enjoyed browsing through the forums.
I've seen alot of sarcasm but that's no different than the forums I have or others I venture.
I think I'll stick around if that's alright with everyone here. angel.gif

Usually if you can stick it out through the initial hazing of posting your cars you can make it here just fine. Unless you just go mental or fall off of the internet (PBB cry.gif)
dukenukem
Be happy this is the kinder gentler DS. Just ask some of the lief/ Bjorn.
misnblu
It's all good.
This is not my first rodeo and I'm a big car buff.
I've been so for over 40 years so I've been around cars most of my life enjoying the sounds, smells, and constant change in our love for the automobile.
So far I've spent hours on the forums going through thread after thread.
Not many forums do that for me so I'm hooked.
Thanks all. cool.gif
clarkma5
I think it's a pretty cool collection. You've got the trackable Cavalier Z24, which doesn't get any credit compared to its contemporaries, a beater DD (and beaters are so often the most educational and cost-efficient way to drive around), and an old Porsche project. That is...pretty damn sweet. I also applaud the pride in the off-kilter choices. You gotta do what you wanna do (for how much you can afford) and you're doing it in spades.
misnblu
You hit the nail on the head.
The daily driver is so much fun to drive, weighs only 2000 pounds, has some weight reduction, and chassis stiffening while also teaching me how to finally heel/ toe shift for the first time in my life.
It's so much fun once you know this process and now I do the same with the Porsche, which I do, and eventually with the Cavy once the 5 speed swap is implemented.
I've discovered this late in life but in a world of automatics it was time for a change to standard.

Thank you sir. thumbs_up.gif
b0mb3r
nice car collection thumbs_up.gif i take it that the cavalier does not have much parts stock :-)
how much power are you expecting with the supercharger?
misnblu
I'm hoping for about 200-225 to the wheels. That's all I want for a good all around street car, drag car, and autocross car.
I've got all three pulley's for the M45 and plan on a water/ meth setup from Devils Own once that comes along.
I even want to track the car on a road course which is how I built the car.

And yeah, most everything is either modified, replaced, or strengthened on the car.
150+ pounds of weight reduction while still keeping the interior nice looking and not gutted.
2 years on jack stands and over 5 grand into the car or more.
I finally got to cruise the car last week during our yearly event Cruising the Coast which was awesome.
Finally a Cavalier gets praise during my cruise amongst all the rice that is usually associated with the car it represents. thumbs_up.gif

I've already got a fully built head for the car w/ 1mm oversized s.s. valves, ported, polished, chambers cc'd, and a set of Crane Cam blanks waiting to get ground down to my specs once I enter that part of the build.
I've got so much more to do with the car before I can call it complete.

Sorry, I tend to get excited about this and can go on rambling. blush.gif

UserDrew
I like the work you've done on the Cavalier. It's different because people tend to mostly think of Japanese cars when it comes to "ricing out".
moe
I'm oddly attracted to your Cavalier
misnblu
Thanks all. cool.gif
Halflifehavock13
You should feel pretty good about yourself. This has to be the most polite welcome to a cavalier owner on DS.
Altostratus
im always skeptical of cavy that get posted.
but you really seem to have thought it out, unlike....CHAAAAAAAAZZZ!!!!

misnblu
QUOTE(Halflifehavock13 @ Oct 8 2010, 12:30 PM) *
You should feel pretty good about yourself. This has to be the most polite welcome to a cavalier owner on DS.
thumbs_up.gif
I enjoy hearing this and get this all of the time when people actually see the car.
It's been hard work but it's paying off and turning something that everyone hates and letting them see that it can be done right.
There are only a handful of us out there that care to do it right though.

QUOTE(Altostratus @ Oct 8 2010, 01:12 PM) *
im always skeptical of cavy that get posted.
but you really seem to have thought it out, unlike....CHAAAAAAAAZZZ!!!!

Thank you sir.
I've had decades of experience with cars.
My first car I completely restored at the tender age of 20 which took 4 years to do so.
I've gone through my rice stages I'll admit but we learn and improve our passion for doing it right. thumbs_up.gif
Aircooled
Cavalier, a front engined porsche, and a paseo mellow.gif
bankE46
QUOTE(misnblu @ Oct 7 2010, 10:28 PM) *
I've been so for over 40 years

Oh good, more old people. You and gonz and green73 can reminisce about the good old days and trade mustache grooming tips. tongue.gif Good to have you though, I'll be interested to see where that porsche takes you.. I was lucky enough to drive a nearly identical one on a regular basis and that thing is a blast!
misnblu
QUOTE(Aircooled @ Oct 8 2010, 02:20 PM) *
Cavalier, a front engined porsche, and a paseo mellow.gif
Did I say diverse? whistle.gif

QUOTE(bankE46 @ Oct 8 2010, 02:58 PM) *
Oh good, more old people. You and gonz and green73 can reminisce about the good old days and trade mustache grooming tips. tongue.gif Good to have you though, I'll be interested to see where that porsche takes you.. I was lucky enough to drive a nearly identical one on a regular basis and that thing is a blast!
I'm 51 but have loved cars since I was 10 or about the time of the muscle car era about 1969. Having visited a Navy base for a month in Va all I'd seen were muscle cars that are so sought after today. Being a boy of 10 it really took hold of me and I've been a car nut ever since. thumbs_up.gif
Carnut
cool collection. wow a paseo havent seen those in a long time smile.gif how many miles does yours have?

and sweet an old guy that likes Supras biggrin.gif lol smile.gif.

any dyno numbers of the cavalier? and beautiful porsche!
misnblu
The Paseo has had the engine rebuilt and tranny with about 75k on the odometer.
The actual miles on the car are about 175K. I bought the car for 1000 bucks when it had 136K on the mileage meter and it's been a great car.

The Porsche has 103K on it but the previous owner has kept it well maintained over the years.
It's been tracked at Bristol, Atlanta, and Birmingham. Unfortunately I wasn't driving. dry.gif

And the Cavies never been dyno'd because there's too many miles on the odometer. Raspberry.gif
It's not fast but it's quick by n/a 4 cylinder standards with a guess of 145whp at the moment. Yeah I know.
But with this on top of the engine it should increase it to about 225whp. DS_Naughty2.gif

The cavalier is being built for the twisties and not for the drag strip so I'm not so worried about huge hp numbers.
I do want the car to be a good overall street car that can do just about anything well which is how it's turning out to be so far.

And don't let old people fool you. whistle.gif
We can be quite devilish if we want to. firedevil.gif
green73ta
Were you driving the Porsche at CTC? I'm pretty sure I was behind you at some point. I definitely remember seeing a black 924 in front of me. I might have even passed you... DS_Naughty2.gif
misnblu
QUOTE(green73ta @ Oct 11 2010, 09:48 PM) *
Were you driving the Porsche at CTC? I'm pretty sure I was behind you at some point. I definitely remember seeing a black 924 in front of me. I might have even passed you... DS_Naughty2.gif

No, I was cruising in the Cavalier.
I've got more work in the Cavalier and wanted it to be seen more so than the Porsche.
I will be entering the Porsche into the Cruising event next year since it'll be 25 years old by then and qualify. thumbs_up.gif

QUOTE(Cyclone @ Oct 11 2010, 10:30 PM) *
I feel so bad for whatever you plan on doing to the poor Porsche. Please sell it before you fuck it up.

Most bad cars are better than a good Cavalier.

Hmmm, must've deleted the post but I'll answer anyway. blush.gif
I won't be fucking up what Porsche intended for it's purpose. I'll be making it better.
It's more of a restoration project as I've still got alot to do with the little things.
I would like it to be quicker though since it's not fast in a straight line but it sure holds it's own in the twisties which is what I want in the overall picture for the car.

The Cavalier needed every bit of work I put into it to make it what it is. thumbs_up.gif
Cyclone
QUOTE(misnblu @ Oct 11 2010, 11:55 PM) *
No, I was cruising in the Cavalier.
I've got more work in the Cavalier and wanted it to be seen more so than the Porsche.
I will be entering the Porsche into the Cruising event next year since it'll be 25 years old by then and qualify. thumbs_up.gif

Hmmm, must've deleted the post but I'll answer anyway. blush.gif
I won't be fucking up what Porsche intended for it's purpose. I'll be making it better.
It's more of a restoration project as I've still got alot to do with the little things.
I would like it to be quicker though since it's not fast in a straight line but it sure holds it's own in the twisties which is what I want in the overall picture for the car.

The Cavalier needed every bit of work I put into it to make it what it is. thumbs_up.gif

944's are a dying breed and I'm seeing less and less of them. Seeing one in great shape makes me happy and they're a blast to drive.
green73ta
I've always had a hardon for the 928.
misnblu
Then you missed the only 928S that I'd seen at Cruising the Coast.
But it wasn't the car that was awesome but the story behind it's build that made my day.
Here's a pic and sorry if this is a bit off topic. Raspberry.gif

The kid in the first picture is only 14 but he's the one that basically restored this pristine 928s.
With the help of his Mom and Dad, he did all the wrenching, tearing apart, and putting it all back together in a two year project to restore the entire vehicle.
The cars immaculate as you can see in the pictures and there's the album on the engine that chronicles every detail of the build.

I thought it amazing that such a young person would be so obsessed with cars but he truly was. He knew everything about the car, it's specs, etc.
I talked with him about my 944 and how I had half the engine in my bay as what was in the 928 and we laughed because he caught what I was saying.

Awesome kid and awesome car and a story I'll always remember.
Again, sorry for the off topic. whistle.gif
green73ta
I think I need a tissue.

And a cigarette.
BlackJack
That kid is gonna grow up to be a Porsche Engineer for sure thumbs_up.gif
MustangAficionado
QUOTE(misnblu @ Oct 11 2010, 07:20 PM) *
:

M90? With a steggy port?

PD blowers arent the best for twisties, tho. Heat soak FTL. Not that I'm hating, I'm reppin too
http://i219.photobucket.com/albums/cc118/C...icture11176.jpg
misnblu
Actually that's the baby of the bunch the M45.
It'll add about 50whp to the car which would bring it to about 200whp once it's done.
I've got all three pulleys for the blower in a quick release setup so I can change them out as needed for more or less power.

It also looks like I'll be putting the car on the DynoJet dyno on the 27th of November where a bunch of us are going to Mobile to a dyno day. No tuning allowed but we get three pulls for 50 bucks which isn't bad at all.
I'll have to break out the HPTuners to lock up third gear for the pulls since it's an auto slush box but at least I'll have some numbers for a good baseline for before and after the blower install.
It's my first dyno day so I'm extremely excited and going with a bunch of high hp gearheads. I'll be the slowpoke of the bunch and the only other fwd of the bunch. Raspberry.gif

You've got a nice blower btw and should send it to Steigmeier for some massaging to extract another 20-30whp out of it.
It should cost you about 500 bucks to do so and well worth the money to have done.

Oh and I also plan on an eventual 'Devils Own' water/ meth injection kit to help with the heat soak. If done properly it should help out quite a bit with the IAT's and power. DS_Naughty2.gif
MustangAficionado
Yeah, I know all about Steigmeier. Recognized the logo on the blower. But Steigmeier doesn't know too much or even deal with the 1900/2300 TVS series. Too new.
And making the intake side port larger wouldn't actually gain any power on this unit.
Aircooled
QUOTE(misnblu @ Oct 15 2010, 06:38 PM) *
slush box

WHYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY
misnblu
QUOTE(MustangAficionado @ Oct 15 2010, 06:05 PM) *
Yeah, I know all about Steigmeier. Recognized the logo on the blower. But Steigmeier doesn't know too much or even deal with the 1900/2300 TVS series. Too new.
And making the intake side port larger wouldn't actually gain any power on this unit.

They could even make more money if they'd invest in the time to work with the TVS series.
Many of the Cobalt/ Delta platform people are converting over to the TVS series blowers so there's a market there for some beneficial cleaning up of the blower and improving it.

Either way, your blower is going to be sweet for your ride.
I'm sure it'll put a hell of a smile on your face. thumbs_up.gif
misnblu
QUOTE(Aircooled @ Oct 15 2010, 07:48 PM) *
WHYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY

I didn't have a choice buying the car.
Not a problem though as I've got new weld in mounts for the 5 speed and everything I need for a manual swap. whistle.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.