Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What do you think of this workflow?
Dieselstation Car Forums > Multimedia > Photography > Technique & Tutorials
mcdronkz
Since I've been editing and organizing photos, I've been struggling with my workflow. I'm looking for a way to standardize it, so I can repeat the same process every time I make photos.

What do you think of the workflow I came up with?

It's pretty detailed, and not all aspects are described such as folder structures and backups. Of course, I'm taking care of these last two issues.

I know it's a matter of personal preference, but I'm always open for smarter and faster ways of doing things.
Seethegrim
Its pretty much my workflow too. Just add backing up somewhere in there (onto an external drive (or 2)).
The only thing which seems 'odd' is the step after "Save the PSD file". You then re-import it into LR, only to export it as a JPG? Why not just save straight from the final PSD?
mcdronkz
QUOTE(Seethegrim @ Oct 4 2010, 11:06 PM) *
Its pretty much my workflow too. Just add backing up somewhere in there (onto an external drive (or 2)).
The only thing which seems 'odd' is the step after "Save the PSD file". You then re-import it into LR, only to export it as a JPG? Why not just save straight from the final PSD?

Backing up happens with Time Machine, no need to describe it in my workflow I guess smile.gif.

After I'm done with all the photos, I export the whole set at once. Seems pretty logical to me smile.gif. Also, I can publish a whole set at once to Flickr, something PS can't do.
Daz
Seems like a good workflow to me. Similar to mine but a bit better.

Out of interest, when you export from lightroom to Photoshop how do you save it back into Lightroom as a PSD as mine saves back as a TIFF file so I then can't go back into photoshop to make any tweaks.
mcdronkz
QUOTE(Daz @ Oct 5 2010, 03:13 AM) *
Seems like a good workflow to me. Similar to mine but a bit better.

Out of interest, when you export from lightroom to Photoshop how do you save it back into Lightroom as a PSD as mine saves back as a TIFF file so I then can't go back into photoshop to make any tweaks.

This is just a setting in Lightroom. You can find it under Preferences > External editing.
Daz
QUOTE(mcdronkz @ Oct 5 2010, 12:53 PM) *
This is just a setting in Lightroom. You can find it under Preferences > External editing.

Ah right sweet. I shall change that later then.

Thanks biggrin.gif
mcdronkz
QUOTE(Daz @ Oct 5 2010, 04:02 AM) *
Ah right sweet. I shall change that later then.

Thanks biggrin.gif

You're welcome! smile.gif
TW0R
I just rate and sort in Bridge and then edit in photoshop. With that said I am fairly unorganized :/
Dejan Sokolovski
Am I the only one not using Lightroom and directly just previews the shots in viewfinder and starts editing straight up in PS? tongue.gif
n1smo
Guess you are not the only one, but lightroom really helps to organize all your photos.
And it just the best way to edit huge stacks of photos, e.g. weddings, holidays, etc.
You can basicly make any adjustment you like.

Blue Devil
QUOTE(Dejan Sokolovski @ Oct 5 2010, 08:52 PM) *
Am I the only one not using Lightroom and directly just previews the shots in viewfinder and starts editing straight up in PS? tongue.gif

yes....
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2018 Invision Power Services, Inc.