Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: How to Achieve Glare
Dieselstation Car Forums > Multimedia > Photography > Technique & Tutorials
Dougboy
I noticed that creating a glare has been a popular PP technique these days. How do i achieve the glare or the spill light from a corner? Is it done by post processing? I tried to actually angle my camera to get the glare from the sun but just ends up washing out the pictures.

Any tips would be appreciated. Thanks
Mr.D
Do you have an example?
I dont understand what you mean.
Are you talking about lens flare, sunbeam, washed out light look or "search/floodlight"-kind of light?
Dougboy
Sorry for being vague. Here are some examples of what I mean

http://img299.imageshack.us/img299/909/15606065.jpg

http://fc04.deviantart.net/fs70/i/2010/265...ord-d2z9rmz.jpg

DonJuanMair
i think that both of those are done in pp you can usually tell from the shadows of everything.
It is possible to do for real though, just compose your shot and focus then move your camera to get the sun in the shot a bit.
Seethegrim
QUOTE(Dougboy @ Sep 26 2010, 06:39 AM) *
I noticed that creating a glare has been a popular PP technique these days. How do i achieve the glare or the spill light from a corner? Is it done by post processing? I tried to actually angle my camera to get the glare from the sun but just ends up washing out the pictures.

Any tips would be appreciated. Thanks

Getting washed out pictures using this method is just part & parcel of that effect. You just pump blacks back into everything & it will regain its contast, but still have that great 'feel' to it.

QUOTE(DonJuanMair @ Sep 27 2010, 06:49 AM) *
i think that both of those are done in pp you can usually tell from the shadows of everything.
It is possible to do for real though, just compose your shot and focus then move your camera to get the sun in the shot a bit.

Yeah, what he said ^^
brasher
Gradients and blending modes smile.gif
Mr.D
new layer
soft light blending mode
white gradient
HenrikssonMedia
As for my Porsche photo you used as an example i only used the Lensflare effect in PS. Might be a bit noobish but then again I'm quite a rookie and I think it worked ok in this photo so I went for it smile.gif
Dougboy
haha, never thought it was just a lens flare. Will try that one as well as soft light overlay.

Thanks for the input
Mr.D
I wouldn't recommend anyone using it frequently. It just looks fake and messes up contrast.
Do a couple of overexposed shots instead and make a comp.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2018 Invision Power Services, Inc.