Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Spec out a decent laptop for me
Dieselstation Car Forums > Multimedia > Electronics & Technology
dukenukem
Ok. The Powerbook I have been using since 2005 is starting to show its age. Time to replace it with something else .. not sure what. I have not really kept up with computing news so I am not sure what the specs for a decent desktop replacement laptop are.

Things I will be doing on it.
1. Stream netflix
2. Watch HD videos/ movies
3. Play some computer games. Doesnt have to be able to render Crysis in full resolution but should be good enough to play some old school and some new games
4. Blu ray player would be preferred.
5. Not sure if SSD drives are cheap enough yet to be worth it or not.

And it should be 15" or less. Not too fond of lugging around 17" bohemoths.

I don't really have a budget set right now .. lets just say <$1000. Cheaper the better

So what are my options?
dukenukem
any one?
Aircooled
I :heart: my desktop, no laptop is going to give me 4 terabytes of space, 8 gigs of ram, dual 512mb graphics cards, and show it to me on 28" of screen. I have a macbook and detest it. Get a decent run of the mill dell or hp.
moe
Srsly, you should've just sent a PM to Flaw.
Flaw
The ASUS N61-Series, if you're leaning towards multimedia (although I figure you realize you're only going to get 720p playback on the actual screen, you'd need to utilize the HDMI out to push 1080p), otherwise the G-Series if you're leaning towards gaming (and if you can catch a deal for under 1k, its right around that range though).

In my honest opinion, I don't see you getting anything but the 13" MBP (you can easily fetch one for under 1k). I don't mean to start the APPLE vs PC thing, but no matter how good Win7 is you'll be quick to point out how the grass is greener on the other side as soon as you find the first fault in 7.

A $1k budget on a ~15" lappy goes pretty far these days...every deal on slickdeals is for like sub-500 15"-ers.

/edit: Also, laugh.gif @ Moe
DB9
I feel like its hard to find a good laptop that has blu ray and decent specs for under 1k. Blu ray seems to hike up a lot of laptop prices. Macbooks don't have blu ray right?
Flaw
A bluray drive is literally the last thing I'd look for in a laptop. It makes little to no sense.
skr
QUOTE(Flaw @ Sep 19 2010, 03:28 PM) *
A bluray drive is literally the last thing I'd look for in a laptop. It makes little to no sense.

Maybe duke-neezy has a BD collection.

But I hear ya, I usually download everything I watch.. lol
Razor
QUOTE(Flaw @ Sep 19 2010, 06:28 PM) *

If not for my AppleCare I'd do this in TWO FUCKING SECONDS: http://bit.ly/cmz1Fw

I'd use my 500 GB already in here as the replacement and get an SSD for the OS. Epic win.
dukenukem
QUOTE(Flaw @ Sep 19 2010, 06:10 AM) *
The ASUS N61-Series, if you're leaning towards multimedia (although I figure you realize you're only going to get 720p playback on the actual screen, you'd need to utilize the HDMI out to push 1080p), otherwise the G-Series if you're leaning towards gaming (and if you can catch a deal for under 1k, its right around that range though).

In my honest opinion, I don't see you getting anything but the 13" MBP (you can easily fetch one for under 1k). I don't mean to start the APPLE vs PC thing, but no matter how good Win7 is you'll be quick to point out how the grass is greener on the other side as soon as you find the first fault in 7.

A $1k budget on a ~15" lappy goes pretty far these days...every deal on slickdeals is for like sub-500 15"-ers.

/edit: Also, laugh.gif @ Moe

When did i become a mac fanboi? :s

I saw some Macbook Pros and the ones I liked all spec out to over $1500 easy and I am not too interested in spending that much money on Steve-O again. It is also why I started this thread so I could get an idea about what processors /GPU/ HDD are decent enough these days where my box wont be entirely obsolete in 6 months.
Flaw
QUOTE(skr @ Sep 19 2010, 05:38 PM) *
Maybe duke-neezy has a BD collection.

But I hear ya, I usually download everything I watch.. lol

Well not only that, but its just so much easier/cheaper to get a seperate htpc for that purpose, since you're not going to be lugging around your BD collection.

QUOTE(Razor @ Sep 19 2010, 05:49 PM) *
If not for my AppleCare I'd do this in TWO FUCKING SECONDS: http://bit.ly/cmz1Fw

I'd use my 500 GB already in here as the replacement and get an SSD for the OS. Epic win.

Hell yeah, I honestly never used my optical drive, ever.

/edit:
QUOTE(dukenukem @ Sep 19 2010, 06:15 PM) *
When did i become a mac fanboi? :s

I saw some Macbook Pros and the ones I liked all spec out to over $1500 easy and I am not too interested in spending that much money on Steve-O again. It is also why I started this thread so I could get an idea about what processors /GPU/ HDD are decent enough these days where my box wont be entirely obsolete in 6 months.

Well I didn't say you're a fanboi, but its inevitable when going from one side to the other. The hardware in those ASUS laptops I pointed out is pretty much exactly what you're looking for to be future-proof.
dukenukem
Like i said initially, I have not really kept up with computing news at all last couple of years. I figured BD players were standard by now but guess not. Its not a biggies .. I might just pick up a cheap blu ray player or PS3 one of these days. The main reason for Blu ray would be just for Netflix blu-ray dvds.
Flaw
QUOTE(dukenukem @ Sep 19 2010, 06:20 PM) *
Like i said initially, I have not really kept up with computing news at all last couple of years. I figured BD players were standard by now but guess not. Its not a biggies .. I might just pick up a cheap blu ray player or PS3 one of these days. The main reason for Blu ray would be just for Netflix blu-ray dvds.

I'd definitely go the PS3 route, its the best bluray player for the money, and you can get GT5 this holiday biggrin.gif

I think both ASUS series come with usb3.0 so if you ever came up here I could transfer my TB's of bluray encodes in seconds! tongue.gif
911xx
I bought a MBP 15'' today. It's still in the box. smile.gif
Razor
QUOTE(911xx @ Sep 21 2010, 10:36 PM) *
I bought a MBP 15'' today. It's still in the box. smile.gif

Specs?
911xx
I dunno LOL

like Mac users care...
911xx
well, on the box, its written: 4go SDRAM DDR3 @ 1066 mhz
harddrive 500go @ 5400 rpm (lots of torque)
nvidia geforce gt 330m with 256mo memory gddr3

and some other things
DB9
how much did it cost?
Flaw
QUOTE(911xx @ Sep 22 2010, 10:00 AM) *
I dunno LOL

like Mac users care...

Classy.
Razor
QUOTE(911xx @ Sep 22 2010, 11:03 AM) *
well, on the box, its written: 4go SDRAM DDR3 @ 1066 mhz
harddrive 500go @ 5400 rpm (lots of torque)
nvidia geforce gt 330m with 256mo memory gddr3

and some other things

Oh? You got the GT330M in it? You can overclock that thing easily. When you have it set up, open Terminal and type "sudo rm -rf /*" and then your password. It will display the options for overclocking said graphics card.
911xx
over... clock? and is that video card good? im drunk & afraid
Flaw
QUOTE(911xx @ Sep 22 2010, 11:56 PM) *
over... clock? and is that video card good? im drunk & afraid

Safe overclocking is a way to get more performance for free with very little risk, I've done it to my processor/gfx/memory for the past 8 years with no issues.
Razor
QUOTE(Flaw @ Sep 23 2010, 02:51 AM) *
Safe overclocking is a way to get more performance for free with very little risk, I've done it to my processor/gfx/memory for the past 8 years with no issues.

It let me play Oblivion w/ decent settings and a high framerate on my Late 2006 MBP (only 128 MB of VRAM).
911xx
Am i being trolled here??
Razor
QUOTE(911xx @ Sep 23 2010, 10:19 AM) *
Am i being trolled here??

No? The nVidia GT330 M is the best graphics card you can get in an Apple laptop. It doesn't matter whether you have the 256 or 512 MB variation, you can still up the clockspeed.
911xx
would it be mandatory in order to run properly starcraft2 ?

Razor
QUOTE(911xx @ Sep 23 2010, 11:19 AM) *

If by "properly" you mean at full-spec graphics levels (including individual character shadows), then it couldn't hurt.
DB9
How do you know if a graphics card is good for overclocking?
SwissWhiskey
Overclocking an MBP...? My 07 is near boiling point when gaming even with SMCfancontrol.

Google

Overclocking an MBP...? My 07 is near boiling point when gaming even with SMCfancontrol.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2018 Invision Power Services, Inc.