Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Cleaned Out my fans
Dieselstation Car Forums > Multimedia > Electronics & Technology
Brohim
So I came across an article about how to keep your laptop cool and not surprisingly it suggested to clean out your fans and heatsinks. I found some tiny tools and took apart my laptop. The amount of dust in there was amazing. The heatsinks were almost completely clogged with dirt, hair, and dust. I used some tweezers and q-tips to clean it all out. Since then my computer has been running sooooo much better. I video chatted for an hour today and not once did the fans go to full power. Before the audio would start to get fuzzy and the video would get choppy. Now it runs perfectly. This was the first time I'd cleaned the inside of my laptop. I've had it for 4 years. I highly suggest doing the same if you never have. It makes a huge difference.
Flaw
<insert captain obvious jpg here>

Seriously though, clean out your computers/laptops/netbooks/htpc's regularly.
Razor
I thought Steve Jobs would rape my dog if I opened my Macbook Pro's case?
skr
Voiding warranties is probably its equivalent.

But YES. Dust buildup on fans and heatcores => excessive abnormal heat => degraded performance => leads to component failure => buy a MB or MBP every 2-3 years and keep SJ rich.

God knows how much money I've made on the side from unsuspecting people sending their laptops/desktops to me because they're running uber slow, and seeing a huge performance jump once I clean out all the nasty dust..
SwissWhiskey
What MBP year do you have? I have an 07 (pre-unibody) and have to remove the motherboard to access the fans and heatsink I guess? (which I haven't done). I've opened it up a bunch of times to change harddrives though and gave it a clean everytime (without taking the motherboard out).
Razor
QUOTE(SwissWhiskey @ Sep 22 2010, 12:28 PM) *
What MBP year do you have? I have an 07 (pre-unibody) and have to remove the motherboard to access the fans and heatsink I guess? (which I haven't done). I've opened it up a bunch of times to change harddrives though and gave it a clean everytime (without taking the motherboard out).

Just shoot canned air in the back to break the shit up? I don't know.
Bjorn
Ya, I'm curious about this too. I have a 17 inch pre unibody MBP and it's probably writhing in agony considering I have two cats and a dog.

If you can post pics that would rule.
Brohim
I used this website called iFixit. If you click here it has the different models...even unibody. Click on one and then it will bring up a bunch of different guides to switch out certain parts. I chose "heat sink." I followed the instructions up until the fans were removed. Once the fans are out you can pretty much clean it out. Good luck!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2018 Invision Power Services, Inc.