Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Bye bye GTI, hello Zoom-Zoom
Dieselstation Car Forums > Parking Lot > User's Rides
Cyclone
With the GTI $1k away from pay off and the fact that I'm tired of it breaking all the damn time, I decided to jump on getting a newer car now that I'm employed again. I found a Mazda 3 for under $10k in really damn good shape and jumped on it. The only thing it needs is a new headlight and the headlight lenses polished. Besides that, the car is pretty much immaculate. This 3 is the S model with the 160hp 4cyl engine.

I'm lazy and have no shame, goto my stupid website to look at the fucking pictures firedevil.gif
http://www.cyclonesworld.net/2010/09/bye-b...ello-zoom-zoom/
moe
Congrats, and good choice man. I would've loved to hold on to mine if it had had more power, which clearly isn't a problem for you. Hey, you've driven the Kia Koup right? How does it compare?
fiber optic
Was your GTI a VR6?
Razor
QUOTE(fiber optic @ Sep 20 2010, 07:26 AM) *
Was your GTI a VR6?

It was.
goota
my roommates girlfriend has that car.
Cyclone
QUOTE(moe @ Sep 20 2010, 03:32 AM) *
Congrats, and good choice man. I would've loved to hold on to mine if it had had more power, which clearly isn't a problem for you. Hey, you've driven the Kia Koup right? How does it compare?

I've only driven the regular Forte. The interior is about the same though and I honestly don't think it's a place I'd want to be for very long. The a/c vent layout pissed me off the most, the driver vents blown directly on your hands and there isn't much you can do to move them.
moe
How about the drive? Is it as fun as the 3?
Vadvagool
Welcome to the club!

heart.gif Mazda
dukenukem
Hows the long term reliability of the Mazda? The old 626 we had wasnt too great after 80k miles. Has the reliability improved since?
Cyclone
QUOTE(dukenukem @ Sep 21 2010, 04:22 AM) *
Hows the long term reliability of the Mazda? The old 626 we had wasnt too great after 80k miles. Has the reliability improved since?

From what I'm reading, it's not too bad. The only real problems I've read about have been driver side engine mount failures and a/c compressor clutch failures. '

Vadvagool, post pics of your 3 nm found it. Also, wtf is your avatar from? I swear that blonde is KrazyKohla.
bobo27
Pretty sure his avatar is from Arrested Development.

But yea Mazda3, nice. I got one of those too. Mine is at the shop getting a new (used) engine because I hydro locked the motor.
Its a nice car, way better than your run of the mill Civic, Corolla. The interior, all tough plasticky, is a nice place to be.
One word of advice, do not mod this thing, its super pointless. I had to find that the hard way. Not that I've modified the hell out of mine, but I am looking back on my intake, springs/shocks, rear sway, HID's, Demon Eyes, sub woofer, Fatmat, and glad thats as far as I got.

But I hope to sell mine soon, just want to move on...But I miss it very much at the moment too.
Vadvagool
The only mods I have done are ditching the stock tires. I have the Bose system, so no need for a speaker upgrade. I'm debating a tint because a black car and black leather gets ridiculously hot in so cal weather.
moe
QUOTE(Cyclone @ Sep 22 2010, 01:38 AM) *
From what I'm reading, it's not too bad. The only real problems I've read about have been driver side engine mount failures and a/c compressor clutch failures. '

I've had my engine mount replaced like three times. I also lost my clutch cylinder, which was a pain in the ass. I've also had to have my rear stabilizer clip(that's what Mazda called it) replaced a couple times. Whenever it's broken, there would be a lot crashing noise everytime the rear went over a bump. No performance problems though. Little interior trim bits (like the plastic covers that cover where the seats are bolted to the floor) will come loose after a while as well.

Those were the problems I had, and the only one that really pissed me off was the clutch cylinder. Mainly because the 5MTs were never sold in the UAE, and they didn't have the part available. So the car ended up being off the road for a whole week.
Cyclone
QUOTE(moe @ Sep 22 2010, 07:02 AM) *
I've had my engine mount replaced like three times. I also lost my clutch cylinder, which was a pain in the ass. I've also had to have my rear stabilizer clip(that's what Mazda called it) replaced a couple times. Whenever it's broken, there would be a lot crashing noise everytime the rear went over a bump. No performance problems though. Little interior trim bits (like the plastic covers that cover where the seats are bolted to the floor) will come loose after a while as well.

Those were the problems I had, and the only one that really pissed me off was the clutch cylinder. Mainly because the 5MTs were never sold in the UAE, and they didn't have the part available. So the car ended up being off the road for a whole week.

Hopefully I don't have any problems with the engine mount. If I do, at least its a reason to upgrade firedevil.gif

I plan on tinting the windows soon. I love tinted windows on a darker colored car (GTI was tinted) and I love how much heat it reduces during the summer. Also the 3 has some big ol windows, I feel like the world is staring at me.
moe
^ Yeah mine was tinted pretty dark. It really, really needed here. My rental doesn't have tints now, and when it's in the sun it starts boiling.
Seethegrim
Nice dude. I got the baby version of the 3 (M2) and I've loved my car ever since I bought it in Jan. I took it cross country (3000km) about 4 weeks ago & it was absolutely incredible on the open road. Got between 5.8 - 6.5 litres/100km (according to the onboard computer).

I have been a fan of the Mazda 3 MPS ever since I did an advanced driving course in one. But when purchase time came around in Jan, the extra R100k ($10k) wasn't worth it.
bankE46
QUOTE(Seethegrim @ Sep 22 2010, 10:48 AM) *
Got between 5.8 - 6.5 litres/100km (according to the onboard computer).

36-40mpg for curious americans. wink.gif
Cyclone

Stripped her down to I could insert my big hard...

Radio!

Not the biggest fan of the double din Metra kit I purchased to install my headunit. The fit and finish of the bottom half is nice but the piece that takes the spot of the old LCD is a complete piece of cheap plastic shit. It doesn't even fit right.

Mazda 3's have ridiculously deep glove boxes. The very back portion of the glove box is intended for the factory navigation unit to be installed. It also has a nice hole for the routing of the factory nav wires. I used this spot to mount my bluetooth module and Sirius sat radio module. Damn easy to run the cables to the head unit as well. I'm amazed at how easy it is to take this car apart.
b0mb3r
damn man! i do have to say the one thing I hate about after market radio are the adapters for the dashboard... they never match the dash and stick out like a sore thumb.
dukenukem
QUOTE(b0mb3r @ Sep 23 2010, 04:56 PM) *
damn man! i do have to say the one thing I hate about after market radio are the adapters for the dashboard... they never match the dash and stick out like a sore thumb.

You can keep the stock radio and get something like Audison Bit one if you so desire. smile.gif
Cyclone
QUOTE(b0mb3r @ Sep 23 2010, 05:56 PM) *

I tend to agree. That's one reason I chose to go with a double din touch screen headunit since they aren't as gaudy as some of the single din units. No stupid flashy lights, no stupid ass graphics, no stupid bezel, no stupid XTREEEMMMEEE bullshit. But yea, it'll never look as good as the stock radio. At least it'll perform 3000x better.
clarkma5
Yeah VW interiors are an absolute bitch to take apart...Toyotas/Scions are the easiest cars I've ever come across, Mazdas aren't bad either, better than Hondas. Congrats and enjoy and best of luck re: reliability as well.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.