Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Heidfeld back!
Dieselstation Car Forums > Parking Lot > Motorsport
skr
From here: http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/86691

Nick Heidfeld will return to Formula 1 with the Sauber team from the Singapore Grand Prix, as AUTOSPORT predicted earlier this week.

Sauber confirmed that Heidfeld will be replacing Pedro de la Rosa for the final five races of the season to compete alongside Kamui Kobayashi.

Team principal Peter Sauber suggested that the move had been made to better help the team understand its car.

"It was a hard decision for me to make as a team principal and I want to thank Pedro for his professionalism," explained Sauber. "By signing Nick we have a driver we know extremely well who will help us to further judge the comparative potential of our car."

De la Rosa expressed his shock at the decision, which comes after he returned to the sport at the start of this season.

"I am surprised by the teamīs decision, but I respect it and would like to wish everyone good luck for the remainder of the season," he said. "I still intend to be in Formula 1 for 2011".

Heidfeld himself added: "I'm looking forward like crazy to having the opportunity to go racing again in a good car in Formula 1 from the Singapore Grand Prix onwards. After the last months I'm even more motivated than ever.

"For me it is like coming home, as I raced for seven years in total for the team from Hinwil. Without doubt I will be feeling at home straight away and this should help me to familiarise myself as soon as possible with the car. I want to thank Peter Sauber for the faith he has put in me."

moe
Well that certainly put a smile on my face. Welcome back Heidfeld.
clarkma5
I like De La Rosa and I'm sorry to see him go but Heidfeld never should've been off the grid, and his role as a Pirelli test driver really puts him in good stead for 2011.
bobo27
Even with a competitive car de la Rosa left much to be desired. Heidfeld should have been in a race seat from the start of the season.
There is rumblings that Kimi is on his way back too, for next year.
skr
Can't wait to see Kimi back in an F1 car.. He's one of my top 3.. hmm I should start a new thread on peoples top 3 F1 drivers ever.

Here it is.. lol.. http://forums.dieselstation.com/index.php?showtopic=32564
moe
Wait, I'm so confused right now. What happened to Heidfeld?
skr
QUOTE(moe @ Oct 4 2010, 07:44 AM) *
Wait, I'm so confused right now. What happened to Heidfeld?

According to the 1st article, Heidfeld is confirmed for the final races of the season with no confirmation of signing a contract for 2011.
SwissWhiskey
^ Thats it. Though its not 100% sure. Peter Sauber is more fond of young talent, and its not like hes bad at picking new kids: Massa, Kimmi, Nick himself (01).
clarkma5
I think there's a good chance Heidfeld will end up somewhere else. Maybe Force India will nab him (if Sutil leaves and they ditch Liuzzi).
moe
^ Well he's not going to Renault, that's for sure. In the event that they ditch Petrov, Raikkonen's waiting in the wings to snap up that position. Read it on Autosport earlier today.
clarkma5
Yeah that's the continuing rumor, but raikkonen isn't the only one linked to that seat. Sutil's and Glock's names have also been swirling around.
moe
^ Yeah apparently Kimi just dismissed it. Says he's going to keep rallying.
clarkma5
The article for those who don't read autosport or other sources: http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/87205

I smell a Sutil surprise, honestly...he's been at Force India so long and proven his competence, Renault would probably be a step up for him, and I think Force India would like the possibility to place someone next to Di Resta who isn't Liuzzi. Then there's Glock, who claims to be happy at Virgin but would be much happier in a bigger team like Renault I'm sure. Either of them would make a great pairing with Kubica, I suspect Renault could really be a force to be reckoned with next season.
moe
I can see Petrov getting the boot for Sutil, but I don't really see any other moves happening on the grid. Liuzzi seems pretty confident of his place at Force India. Ideally, I'd like to see Schumacher re-retire to make way for Heidfeld, but that's a different story.
clarkma5
Well Force India has confirmed di Resta for next year...if Sutil isn't leaving, who gets the boot, Liuzzi or Sutil? It would have to be Liuzzi wouldn't it...? Sutil is consistently a notch or two above him.
moe
Yeah either way someone's going to get the shaft here, either Petrov or Liuzzi. I can't say that I've watched either's progress with great interest, so I could care less which one leaves. The only new drivers I've been impressed by are Chandok (desperately needs a seat in a better car), and di Grassi (same as Chandok, except probably even more talented).
clarkma5
Hard not to be impressed by Kobayashi...

I'm not so sure about di Grassi. He puts together good races on par with Glock, doesn't have qualifying down that well. Chandhok and Senna are both pretty good, but with the HRT's lack of pace it's really hard to get a feel for how well they'd do in a better car.
moe
Totally forgot about Kobayashi, I didn't really see him as a new driver since he was in a couple races the previous season. But you're completely right about him.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.