Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: The STi paint revival thread
Dieselstation Car Forums > Parking Lot > User's Rides
dukenukem
The paint on my car has been neglected for the last year or so due to me moving into an apartment and not having any place to properly wash the car. Anyways, a member on the local boards was more than gracious in helping me bring the paint back to respectable condition .. here are some of the before and after pics..

Showing some of the light scratches/ swirls in the hood:

Passenger front wheel:

Driver's front:

Both driver's side doors

And after:
Passenger side 3/4 front view:

Lower angle to pick up some of the sunlight:

Passenger front wheel again:

Hood shot:

Driver's front wheel:
[/quote]

Products used ..

1Z einszett Extra Swirl Remover
1Z einszett Glanz Wax
1Z einszett Paint Polish 'Lack Politur'
The New "No Name" Uber Super Plush Towel
Uber Red Notched Applicator Pad
Sonax Full Effect Wheel Cleaner 500 ml
Meguiars cutting compound which apparently was less aggressive than the einszett swirl remover.

Also, Sonax wheel cleaner is the best fucking wheel cleaner if your wheels have heavy brake dust build up.. the cleaned wheels you see are after letting it soak for 3 mins and no brush action used. If i had a proper wheel brush Those would have been spotless.
350Z
Looks like new man good job, I always liked the Hawkeyes.
dukenukem
Yea .. the guy who helped me out does paint correction for a living and he did a superb job. I really need to get a Porter Cable for these things.
DaGonz
Porter Cable 7424 polisher FTW.

It's basically foolproof, and almost impossible to burn through paintwork like one would with a rotary polisher.
dukenukem
If I had a garage or a decent place to work on my car I would totally invest in one.
Altostratus
im saving up for one sad.gif
clarkma5
I burned a whole (about the size of a quarter) in my last car's clearcoat with one actually...or my brother did. I forget. It was an overly aggressive polish, though.
dukenukem
QUOTE(Altostratus @ Sep 5 2010, 12:25 AM) *
im saving up for one sad.gif

Theres a pretty sweet group buy going on nasioc for the PC 7424 DS_xP.gif

QUOTE(clarkma5 @ Sep 5 2010, 12:43 AM) *
I burned a whole (about the size of a quarter) in my last car's clearcoat with one actually...or my brother did. I forget. It was an overly aggressive polish, though.

You sure you were using a PC and not a rotary?
Altostratus
QUOTE(dukenukem @ Sep 5 2010, 12:07 AM) *

well my birthday was a couple weeks ago........
dukenukem
QUOTE(Altostratus @ Sep 5 2010, 08:36 AM) *
well my birthday was a couple weeks ago........

Oh. Belated happy birthday cloud man.
clarkma5
QUOTE(dukenukem @ Sep 5 2010, 12:07 AM) *

You sure you were using a PC and not a rotary?

We do have both a makita rotary polisher and a porter cable random orbital so I suppose it could've been the makita but I'm about 99% sure I never would've let my brother loose on my paint with the makita, and I certainly never would've, thinking the PC was safe...this was years ago ('ol bluey) so I cannot be sure.
Mr b00st
that's lookin' real pretty Duke smile.gif

and I agree these are the best looking STI's. (in the US at least.) High five on a not-annoying color choice too. The detailing really makes a difference... it no longer looks old and worn out, except for the wheel scuffage it looks new!

edit: also might wanna considering polishing the headlights? They don't look bad yet but as preventative maintence i'd imagine it's a good idea?
dukenukem
I actually found an awesome product called Crystal View for the headlights ... comes in cheapo sachets instead of fancy pants boxes but works really well compared to more expensive fancy pants options.
Mr b00st
QUOTE(dukenukem @ Sep 6 2010, 04:50 PM) *
I actually found an awesome product called Crystal View for the headlights ... comes in cheapo sachets instead of fancy pants boxes but works really well compared to more expensive fancy pants options.

thumbs_up.gif

glad to see you're taking care of it
Synesthesia
Looks nice, I will have to check out this wheel cleaner...
ailidasfang
I also need to get a Porter Cable for these things
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.