Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: My integra gets a new engine.
Dieselstation Car Forums > Parking Lot > User's Rides
Pages: 1, 2
skr
Here's a rough chronicle of what's been happening to the integra.. there are more pictures to come, but here's the gist of it all..

The car previously had a B18A1 engine(the 92-93 LS engine) which was leaking crazy amounts of oil through the head gasket. Pictures of that will come soon.

Empty engine bay

Here's my old header.. it's been smashed to hell because this car used to be slammed and it would bottom out all the time.

Being replaced with one that looks like this..

New exhaust. A'pex-i RS Exhaust.

Exhaust gap between the catback and the header. Header tube was cut and half of a test pipe was matted to it. I will show more pics of this as I receive them.

Here are some engine pics during assembly.. Nice high compression pistons.

Cams installed

Block and head together.. The blue valve cover isn't going to stay on there long, trust me.

It's in the car!

More pics to come.. Here's the mod list.

Poor Man's Type R build
GSR Block Bored .40 over
LS Crank Balanced and Micropolished
Shotpeened LS Rods
P30 OEM B16 Pistons/Rings .40mm over
Golden Eagle Headstuds
ARP Rod Bolts
King Motorsport Race Bearings
B16 Head Port & Polished
Multi Angle Valve Job
JG Flatfaced Valves
JG Springs/Retainers
Demonwerkz Stage 2 Camshafts
OEM Head Gasket
OEM Intake Manifold Gasket
OEM Timing belt
ITR Water Pump
ITR Oil Pump
ITR Throttle Cable/Bracket
Skunk2 Pro Intake Manifold
Omnipower 70mm Throttle Body
RC 310cc Injectors
SMSP Replica Header
Blox Test Pipe
Apex'i RS Exhaust
Walbro 255lph Fuel Pump
Blox Magnetic Drain Plugs
RyWire VTEC Subharness
P28 ECU Chrome Chipped
GSR Transmission
New Clutch/Slave Master Cylinder
Synchrotech Synchros
Competition Stage 2 Carbon Kevlar Clutch
bankE46
Awesome start, looking forward to more updates and photos!
skr
Thanks bankie. Next month I will have a dyno tune video, and will start doing a chronicle of my suspension build.
Razor
QUOTE(skr @ Aug 18 2010, 03:34 PM) *
Here's my old header.. it's been smashed to hell because this car used to be slammed and it would bottom out all the time.

That is the definition of epic form over function fail.

Aside from that, nice work and the new block looks great!
dukenukem
No forced induction love?
skr
QUOTE(Razor @ Aug 18 2010, 01:06 PM) *
That is the definition of epic form over function fail.

Aside from that, nice work and the new block looks great!

Indeed. the previous owner loved his cars slammed.. I raised it up right when I bought it.

QUOTE(dukenukem @ Aug 18 2010, 02:04 PM) *
No forced induction love?

I got love for the go-fast snails.. just not on hondas. wink.gif Perhaps a new project will brew with my Legacy.. :o
fiber optic
QUOTE(skr @ Aug 18 2010, 04:22 PM) *
Indeed. the previous owner loved his cars slammed.. I raised it up right when I bought it.

Was it difficult to raise a lowered car?

QUOTE(skr @ Aug 18 2010, 04:22 PM) *
I got love for the go-fast snails.. just not on hondas. wink.gif Perhaps a new project will brew with my Legacy.. :o

With that fuel pump you'll be set to make all kinds of power that little 4-cylinder only dreams of right now.
skr
QUOTE(fiber optic @ Aug 18 2010, 02:47 PM) *
Was it difficult to raise a lowered car?

With that fuel pump you'll be set to make all kinds of power that little 4-cylinder only dreams of right now.

When I bought the car, it was equipped with coilover sleeves on adjustable shocks.

Before - (on 14" steelies)

After (on 16x7 rims)

There's about a 1 finger gap now.

Yes, the fuel pump is pretty badass, and it's cheap too. For the power I'm trying to achieve, I'm happy I can just use a lot of OEM parts for a lot of the build.
goota
i wouldnt have built a b18c block with a b16 head any other way than what you have described. good shit man, thats gonna make some pretty nice power. GL with smog lol.
skr
Not much to update other than I'm going to get it dyno tuned tomorrow! Stay tuned for some vids and dyno sheets. smile.gif

Also on the way is an NRG 2.5 Quick Release and Short Hub..

soon to be attached to this..

moe
Can't believe I missed this thread the first time around. Awesome stuff dude.
skr
Some good news and some bad news...

The good news:

We were able to get some baseline dyno pulls and the baseline was at 208whp. Pretty impressive with the basemap we used..

Here's a video. This point/shoot I used didn't pick up the sound too well. The video does not do its justice.

Not only was the car excruciatingly loud standing next to it inside a building, but that high rev sound of the engine was more than what I would ever dream of. Unfortunately, here's the bad news..

After the baseline pull, the engine started losing power.. the next pull only made around 190whp, and then the next pull hit around 150. The tuner decided to stop at this point since the tweaks he was doing were very minor between pulls and these tweaks would impossibly yield such loss in hp. Turns out the engine started knocking.. I tried to drive it down the street back to my builder's shop hoping it wouldn't get worse, but not only 50 feet later when the knocking sound got progressively worse. I pulled over and shut the engine off. I had to call AAA and have them tow my car back to my buddy's shop.. After a compression test which was reading 200-210 across the board, me and a few other mechanics think it's a bearing issue where one of the crank/rod bearings went bad. My engine builder will drop the oil pan on saturday and inspect the damage. Hopefully it's JUST the bearing which isn't too big of a deal. More news to come on Saturday.

Oh and my shipment for my NRG Quick Release and hub was delivered and signed for, but possibly to somebody else, like a neighbor or somebody. This definitely puts a big hamper on things.. FML.
fiber optic
Motor sounds good.

Was this built by a professional engine guy?

I know all about mis-delivered parts. I live at 213 and the DHL guy must have been dyslexic and he delivered them to 231. And of course the dickhead at 231 opens up one of the boxes. Naturally he chose the one with all the small parts. I think everything made it. I'm still curious why someone would open a box that doesn't have their name on it and is covered in "Gene Berg" stickers and tape when they didn't order anything from Gene Berg. The bastard was probably fully prepared to jack my stuff had it been something he wanted.

skr
He's an up and coming guy.. He does a great job.. We're hoping it's just a defective bearing, but we don't know if anything else is causing the problem..
MustangAficionado
Yeah, I was going to say piston rings until the compression comment. If there isn't head noise I would assume bearing too - but bearings dont really cause a large instant drop in power from what I've seen - they just do damage until it makes a lot of noise. What kind, if any, vibration was there. Was the noise rpm based and would it get louder?
skr
The noise wasn't RPM based. I drove it probably about 50 feet and it got louder, so i pulled into the next driveway and shut my car off and had it roll into a parking spot. Also, my mechanic noticed that the timing belt tension got much tighter since the car returned to the place. Before it went to the dyno, he checked the belt and the tension wasn't nearly as tight..

So we're thinking it could be a main bearing, or some issue with the crankshaft..
dukenukem
Did you check the manifolds?
skr
skr
Update regarding the shipment of some items..

My neighbor across the street signed for the items according to FedEx. Thankfully he's a really nice fellow and would have no use for a Steering wheel hub and quick release.. lol He even was nice enough to drop them off to me the next day.
Altostratus
QUOTE(skr @ Sep 11 2010, 12:22 PM) *

My neighbor across the street signed for the items according to FedEx. Thankfully he's a really nice fellow and would have no use for a Steering wheel hub and quick release.. lol He even was nice enough to drop them off to me the next day.

WIN
fiber optic
QUOTE(skr @ Sep 11 2010, 03:22 PM) *

Any update on what was causing the knocking sound?
skr
Not yet.. It's sitting at the shop. I told him to take his time on it and clear up whatever jobs he's got backed up first. However, I'm sure he's curious to what went wrong so hopefully I'll be hearing something fairly soon.
MustangAficionado
Any engine builder would feel embarrassed to have internals noise and power loss. I've only built a couple, but I know I'd feel like shit and be cracking that thing open ASAP.
skr
Update: Turns out to just be a split bearing.. We're getting rid of these King Motorsports bearings and finding a set of ACL Duraglides. The rest of the internals seem to be undamaged and clean, so we'll see what happens from here.
skr
Been a while since I've posted an update.. but I have a few things..

First, the engine has been rebuilt with ACL Race bearings for the rods, and Clevelite bearings for the mains and thurst washer. He also gave me a different crank he had micropolished and balanced..

After rebuilding the engine, the engine runs smoother than before. Still need a tune though, but the basemap I'm running on the ECU seems to be good.

Secondly, I acquired some new suspension parts this week..

BuddyClub N+ coilovers with adjustable dampening settings, 15 way. 2 way adjustable ride height. The bottom tube can spin clockwise/counterclockwise for height adjustment, along with the threaded spring perch.

BuddyClub P1 Front Camber Kit

BuddyClub P1 Front Extended Ball Joints. This is to aid in returning the suspension geometry to stock after lowering. Promotes better steering response and lock.

ASR Subframe Brace. This braces the subframe which the rear lower control arms and the rear sway bar are mounted on.

Integra Type R Rear Sway Bar. This is the swaybar to get to have neutral handling(over/understeer). I figured I'd start with this.. once I get better at driving, then I could decide on a more adjustable swaybar when I develop a certain driving style. Plus it was cheap.

I will attempt to install these items(minus the ball joints) tomorrow morning. Will post pictures of the build.

The instructions I received with the coilovers were fully in japanese. Luckily suspension work on older generation hondas is relatively easy.
skr
Got the new struts and camber kit in.. Didn't get to the RSB and Subframe Brace yet.

Here are some pics.

Struts removed:

Old pieces of crap:

New coilovers and camber kit:

Rear:

Waiting on some new OEM bolts from Acura. Once I get those, I will install the RSB/Subframe and replace the mounting bolts as well. More to come!
skr
Due to some miscalculations, my car is now 4x4 mode.. LOL

dukenukem
For the love of god, dont go herraflushtard.
skr
QUOTE(dukenukem @ Nov 15 2010, 10:06 AM) *
For the love of god, dont go herraflushtard.

Hahah.. don't worry. I like things to be functional on my car. Besides, the wheel offsets I currently have will make it hella not flush.
skr
BLAH.. So my exhaust decides it doesn't wanna stay attached.. As I'm driving and wondering in my head if my exhaust is leaking because the car revs slightly louder and funnier than before, I hear a BOOM.. Then I hear some metal dragging from underneath the car, and the engine itself being considerably louder.. all that in a moment's time.

I was about a block away from this auto center that has a bunch of auto repair shops, and limped the car to a shop that I thought was a muffler shop.. turns out it's now a performance shop that does a lot of domestics and imports, and does fab work as well. They were able to immediately put the car on the lift and fix my exhaust on the spot..

Car sounds slightly quieter than before the exhaust took a shit on me. Set me back a bit though monetary wise. sad.gif
misnblu
I just caught this thread and I'm impressed with the work.
Nice coilover setup for the car and the Buddy Clubs are quite good for sure.
On the camber setup, the upper control arms now control the camber settings as opposed to actual camber plates, no?
Just curious.

Also, I didn't get a take on what intake manifold you're using for the engine as again, I'm just curious as to what you're using.
What kind of specs are you running on the cams and what kind of compression are you running now?

You got a good build going on here so I'm subscribed for further updates and also because I love the Integra platform. thumbs_up.gif
fiber optic
QUOTE(skr @ Nov 15 2010, 11:46 AM) *
Due to some miscalculations, my car is now 4x4 mode.. LOL

Heh, my truck sits lower than that.

dukenukem
Bah. This is how you do proper 4x4

shandyman5
QUOTE(dukenukem @ Nov 15 2010, 10:45 PM) *

Jesus Christ, lower that thing.
goota
lol skr, thats what you get when you have coilovers. I know it will look nice though when you lower it though. Put so I want to hear that engine, you have to put up some videos man. Put some splash guards on your car though, so that way it scrapes all the time.

the splash guards on my integra were literally .5" off the ground biggrin.gif
skr
QUOTE(misnblu @ Nov 15 2010, 06:48 PM) *
I just caught this thread and I'm impressed with the work.
Nice coilover setup for the car and the Buddy Clubs are quite good for sure.
On the camber setup, the upper control arms now control the camber settings as opposed to actual camber plates, no?
Just curious.

Also, I didn't get a take on what intake manifold you're using for the engine as again, I'm just curious as to what you're using.
What kind of specs are you running on the cams and what kind of compression are you running now?

You got a good build going on here so I'm subscribed for further updates and also because I love the Integra platform. thumbs_up.gif

The upper ball joint is attached to a plate that can be loosened on the a-arm with an allen wrench with 4 bolts. The ball joint inserts normally into the lower arm as you can see. The ball joint is movable toward you and away from you as if you were sitting face toward the tire.

I'm using a Skunk2 Intake Manifold. 50 state carb legal, and possibly the best streetable manifold you can get and yield max hp on naturally aspirated builds before resorting to using ITBs. Plenty of room for port matching on the throttle body sides as well as the runners. I'm also using a 70mm throttle body.

I estimate running between 11.2 to 11.5:1 compression at the moment. I'm not sure what the lift durations are on the cams though. My engine builder had them custom grinded to his specs and they're his "stage 2" cams, whatever that means.
skr
QUOTE(goota @ Nov 15 2010, 09:13 PM) *
lol skr, thats what you get when you have coilovers. I know it will look nice though when you lower it though. Put so I want to hear that engine, you have to put up some videos man. Put some splash guards on your car though, so that way it scrapes all the time.

the splash guards on my integra were literally .5" off the ground biggrin.gif

misnblu
Nice project then for sure.
Love the camber control arms.
I love what you're doing to your car so I'll be keeping up with your progress and good luck with everything.
b0mb3r
nice :-) i guess your car won't be rubbing anymore? :-)
Razor
QUOTE(dukenukem @ Nov 15 2010, 10:45 PM) *

You don't need a front plate, and so you LEAVE THE DEALER ONE ON? tard.gif
dukenukem
In Texas you need front plates. This pic was taken 3 days after I bought the car.
Razor
Ah, that makes more sense.
skr
QUOTE(b0mb3r @ Nov 16 2010, 05:09 AM) *
nice :-) i guess your car won't be rubbing anymore? :-)

Never really did rub, I just had more bottoming out issues because the old struts were blown.
shandyman5
Car looks good man.
skr
Not much of an update, but I got a Momo Tuner 350mm steering wheel over the weekend and installed it a moment ago. Attached to a quick release hub.

MustangAficionado
airbag delete mod
Razor
QUOTE(MustangAficionado @ Nov 28 2010, 08:45 PM) *
airbag delete mod

Better than the rear brake delete mod some Audi douchebags do... especially if skr has a harness.
Aircooled
QUOTE(Razor @ Nov 28 2010, 09:12 PM) *
Better than the rear brake delete mod some Audi douchebags do

Link?
Synesthesia
Isn't this your daily?
moe
^ No, he's still got his Legacy.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.