Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Motorola Out-Douches Apple
Dieselstation Car Forums > Multimedia > Electronics & Technology
Razor
Hey kids, wanna flash a new ROM onto your new Droid X? Well then its insides are going to explode. Stick a fork in yourself.

http://www.mobilecrunch.com/2010/07/14/dro...-try-to-mod-it/
Asher
Maybe:
QUOTE(BGR)
A post by p3Droid on the My Droid World forums claims to shed some light on the rumored locked bootloader of the DROID X. According to the posting, the Droid X ships with an e-fuse chip that locks the bootloader and will brick the phone if the bootloader is modified. The news is spreading like wildfire with many would-be ROM flashers wondering if they should avoid the DROID X like a plague. This breaking news may not be as dire as many are claiming, as a google search of OMAP3 and e-fuse reveals that current OMAP handsets already have e-fuse in place as part of the M-Shield hardware security technology built into TIís OMAP system on a chip. It is on the very hackable DROID and the not-so-hacking-friendly Milestone, but it is not being used by Motorola to lock the bootloader of the handset. The current theory being put forth by the non-alarmists in the Android hacking community suggests that the DROID X is locked in a similar manner to the Milestone. Though it may be difficult to crack, and may lead to many hairs being pulled out, mucking with the bootloader probably wonít brick your phone. As the DROID X lands into the hands of the Android hacking community in the upcoming days, we should know a lot more about the state of rooting and flashing on Verizonís flagship Android handset. Be calm. Stay tuned. Itís just a phone.

http://www.boygeniusreport.com/2010/07/15/...-bricked-phone/
Razor
QUOTE(Asher @ Jul 15 2010, 08:56 PM) *

Interesting. I read a post somewhere today that I think most accurately explains the situation... the people developing the mod will have to go through multiple handsets, but it will be done eventually.

But seriously, the point is they have created a phone that doesn't just void its warranty if tampered with, it BREAKS ITSELF ON PURPOSE.
Asher
And that settles that:
"Motorola's primary focus is the security of our end users and protection of their data, while also meeting carrier, partner and legal requirements. The Droid X and a majority of Android consumer devices on the market today have a secured bootloader. In reference specifically to eFuse, the technology is not loaded with the purpose of preventing a consumer device from functioning, but rather ensuring for the user that the device only runs on updated and tested versions of software. If a device attempts to boot with unapproved software, it will go into recovery mode, and can re-boot once approved software is re-installed. Checking for a valid software configuration is a common practice within the industry to protect the user against potential malicious software threats. Motorola has been a long time advocate of open platforms and provides a number of resources to developers to foster the ecosystem including tools and access to devices via MOTODEV at http://developer.motorola.com."

http://www.engadget.com/2010/07/16/motorol...rsy-says-efuse/

All safe and happy.
DB9
HTC
moe
^ So speaking of HTC, I went in to inquire about how much it would cost me to switch my data plan from a Blackberry to Android (HTC Desire), and a similar plan is triple the price. Seriously, wtf? The lack of support for Android in this country seriously pisses me off.
Asher
QUOTE(moe @ Jul 16 2010, 07:10 PM) *
^ So speaking of HTC, I went in to inquire about how much it would cost me to switch my data plan from a Blackberry to Android (HTC Desire), and a similar plan is triple the price. Seriously, wtf? The lack of support for Android in this country seriously pisses me off.

That sounds more like a carrier issue than an HTC one.
moe
^ Never said it was an HTC issue, would switch in a second if the carriers weren't so gay about it. iPhone or Blackberry? No problem sir. Android...the guy at the store actually said, "You sure you want to make that mistake sir?"
DB9
ouch... I guess the only thing you can hope for at this point is a much improved windows phone 7 (which probably won't happen).
Asher
QUOTE(moe @ Jul 16 2010, 07:22 PM) *
^ Never said it was an HTC issue

True, true.
b0mb3r
i bought droid x... now I am a dork with 2 smart phones...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2018 Invision Power Services, Inc.