Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: New Computer Build
Dieselstation Car Forums > Multimedia > Electronics & Technology
Vadvagool
Just bought the parts for a new computer and assembled it. The computer starts up, lights up, the fans run, but I get no video. I plugged a laptop cooler into the USB port just to test it, and the cooler powered on. The Ethernet port also works.

I swapped out the sticks of RAM to make sure it wasn't a RAM issue. Also, I know that the monitor I'm testing it on works, so I doubt thats the issue.

The fan on the video card starts up when I turn the computer on, so there is power getting to it.

Any ideas as to what the problem may be?

Specs:

Intel Core i7-930
AsRocks x58 Mobo
6GB DDR3 G.Skill RAM
XFX ATI Radeon 5770
1TB Seagate HD
Lite-On DVD/CD-RW
Antec 300 Illusion Case
OCZ 700W Power Supply
Flaw
Sounds like the GFX is DOA, but just to make sure I'm guessing you've tried an alternate rail from your PSU? Different DVI/HDMI/displayport from the video card? Some PSU's come with designated 6-pin outputs for your GPU. Just for kicks, I'd reset the CMOS on the mobo although since it hasn't been used yet (I'm assuming its new) that probably won't do anything.
Vadvagool
Nope, its not DOA. I'm just an idiot.

I might have forgotten to plug in the 8pin 12v ATX power pin whistle.gif
Flaw
QUOTE(Vadvagool @ Jul 11 2010, 12:36 AM) *
Nope, its not DOA. I'm just an idiot.

I might have forgotten to plug in the 8pin 12v ATX power pin whistle.gif

Heh, waiting for an RMA on a new build blows, I'm always too excited to try out the new hardware. Speaking of which, nice setup you got here. I love the Antec 300, the fan on my heatsink went out recently and it has enough airflow to keep my 920 idling in the 30's. Replacing it is going to be a bitch (its the Coolermaster V8, so the fan is not very accessible).
Vadvagool
I REALLY didn't want to deal with RMAs. But I might have to RMA my heatsink because one of the pins came bent.
bankE46
Sounds like an awesome rig for SC2! smile.gif I just snagged a 5770 myself and it made a world of difference (swapped for my old X1950). Btw, I'm definitely gonna be online with my roommates tonight if you and some friends/strangers want to get trashed in 3v3 wink.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2018 Invision Power Services, Inc.