Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Light and Colour Consistancy across paint
Dieselstation Car Forums > Multimedia > Photography > Technique & Tutorials
Dale.T
Hey guys,

I'm pretty new to car photography but i have been a photographer for many years in different fields. I shot these photos with 580's and composed them together. I'm having a hard time getting even lighting across the panels and getting that nice silky consistency in the paint. I find colours like yellows and reds easier but this ones quite difficult. I used a polariser to reduce reflections and bracketed the shots. Maybe my photoshopping skills need to be improved. I'm fairly happy with everything about these shots except for the most important thing, the car..Any tips?

#1- The best one of the set i think, Consistent colour and depth in the paint.

#2- Pretty blotchy on the lighting and darks across the paint. I think bad flash work on location. Bad windscreen and bonnet, not sure how to fix, maybe a different angle.

#3- Paints kinda washed out even after photoshopped. Sort of consist across the whole car.

#4- Polarised bonnet but not side. Pretty consistent across the front.

These are my comments after looking working on these images. Let me know yours.

Thanks
Nate047
practice practice practice... even if you've shot other types of photography for years, cars are a whole other beast.

The images in this set look like victims of sloppy post processing (especially number 3), and poor light placement. you can't just put a light on the front and a light on the side and call it good, that shit never works.

as far as reflections go, yes the polarizer helps, but sometimes if there's something really gnarly you are going to have to move the car anyway. also keep in mind that the angles of your lights may either help reduce reflections, or create reflections themselves... take number 2 for example. that hotspot on the door might have been avoided if you had placed that side light more by the front of the car, aiming towards the back.

it all comes back to practice practice practice. thumbs_up.gif
Dale.T
Thanks for the feedback
WUCHUN
There's this one record shop I frequent where the crates for the past couple of years have been shit and the store focused on selling hip hop clothes moreso than vinyl. For the past year, the owner infused the crates with his collection, but the customers who regularly go overlook them and prefer to shop for clothing or cds instead, so I pick up nicely anytime I go. Definitely loving the lack of competition, so I would say digging's gotten better for me since I started DJing 8 years ago.
Seethegrim
I think by using a polarizer, you're both solving & creating problems at the same time.

If you're stitching shots together AND turning a polarizer at the same time between shots, you're of course not going to get it to match up afterwards. You're changing the light recieving properties on your images.

You need to either chose a polarizer position that takes out most reflections, then leave it there. Then stitch.

OR

You need to do multiple shots with ONLY the polarizer taking out reflections.

I can't think of a really good metaphor to illustrate this, except your pushing & pulling the same rope.
Jacob Photo
are these all 1 exposure per frame?

what camera settings are you using? what are your ratios (power vs distance) for each light?

all of this can contribute to the inconsistencies you are seeing. Record all variables, then compare notes later if you are having problems.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2018 Invision Power Services, Inc.