Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 2010 24 Heures Du Mans
Dieselstation Car Forums > Parking Lot > Motorsport
Razor
Firstly, in case you haven't been following it, here are cliffs for qualifying:

LMP1
No big surprises, but it's bad news for Audi, as all three factory-backed Peugeot teams swept the top three positions (the best time was 3:19.771 from the #3 car), and a private team (Oreca Matmut) also running a 908 HDi got fourth. Audi took the next three positions (the best time was Mike Rockenfeller with a 3:21.981 lap), followed by the two Lola Aston Martins in positions 8 and 9.

LMP2
As expected, the HPD Acura ARX-01c chassis-based cars dominated. Strakka Racing and Patrón Highcroft Racing took the first two positions with times of 3:33.079 and 3:34.537 (respectively), putting them into the P1 running, time-wise. RML Racing took third with a Lola chassis and HPD engine.

GT1
Young Driver Aston Martin Racing took pole with a DBR9, setting a time of 3:55.025. Second and third positions were taken by Marc VDS Racing and Matech competition, both of whom are running Ford GT Matechs. A pair of Corvette C6.R's run by Luc Alphand Aventures took the next two positions. It should be noted that Larbre Racing is running an aging Saleen S7R, which used to be one hell of a great car in this event. We'll have to see how that thing fairs.

GT2
The big class. Risi Competizione seized pole with a time of 3:59.233, barely edging out the competition from Corvette Racing's two C6 ZR1's. BMW Motorsport and Flying Lizard Motorsport, two big names from the American Le Mans series, had a tough time in qualifying. The BMW M3 GTR's placed 7th and 11th, while the Flying Lizard 911 GT3 RSR placed 10th. A notable entrant to watch this year will be the Spyker Squadron team, running a C8 Laviolette.

So, anyone other than me watching/following all 24 hours? Any other input? I'll be updating my Twitter and this thread all day (the race is 9AM Saturday to 9AM Sunday, EST).
Dr. Strangelove
The Risi Ferrari failed scrutineering. They lost the pole. :/
Razor
QUOTE(Dr. Strangelove @ Jun 11 2010, 04:19 PM) *
The Risi Ferrari failed scrutineering. They lost the pole. :/

Wow... gurney flap 2 mm too low... unbelievable. My bet, however, is that won't change things much. I say Risi still wins.
SwissWhiskey
Risi is probably going to win. Though I'm rooting for the Vettes in the GT2 class. I hope the Matech Swiss Chicks do good in GT1. Switzerland deserves a medal for putting 3 Chicks in a Race Ford GT at Lemans.

M3's are having some problems. Mario Theissens' take:
In a recently completed interview Dr. Mario Theissen, head of BMW Motorsport, candidly states that the two ///M3s BMW has in the 24 hours of Le Mans have little to no chance of bringing home a victory. The pair of BMWs finished behind the class leading Risi Competizione Ferrari by more than 5 seconds, and were significantly behind the pace of the other in class cars as well.

The reason for the poor odds of winning and slow lap times comes down to the necessary changes the cars required to meet the stringent ACO regulations. Theissen says that they have worked feverishly to redesign and modify the rear suspension as required but just have not had adequate time to complete testing and tuning. The cars are also using smaller air restrictors to choke some of the normal V8s output.

The team has continued to make tweaks since qualifying and expects better results in the form of quicker race laps, but at this time feels that a win is not realistic. Can it really be true that completing the race in its entirety would be the goal of such a great team? Or is this all a ploy to keep the competition off balance? We’re also not so sure that the lack of time to test is a valid excuse since we have known about BMWs entry since late January, thats about 6 months worth of time if our math is correct.

I wonder how much different the Setup and Car is from the 24H Nurburgring Car.
Razor
WOW. Peugeot #3 is DOWN and OUT. Unbelievable. Sucks for Pedro Lamy, and it looked like it was only a blow-out, but apparently the tub was heavily damaged. Same goes for Nigel Mansell and sons... very unfortunate but I'm glad he's okay.

Audi are pushing hard and consistently yet are still a lap behind.
Aircooled
I know it was hours ago bur I'm sad that the art car is out
Razor
QUOTE(Aircooled @ Jun 12 2010, 11:34 PM) *
I know it was hours ago bur I'm sad that the art car is out

I fucking hate that art car. tongue.gif
Razor
Oh my god... what an insane turn of events. Peugeot #2's catastrophic engine failure leads to a 1-2 placing from Audi with close to 7 hours remaining. If Audi can do 1-2-3, then this is an even more amazing story than the 2008 race.
SwissWhiskey
What a boring and sad race. GT1 is 2 cars, all Matech Ford GTs are out. GT2 is is 7 cars big and both Vettes and Risi F430s are out, Zuffenhausen is going to win this one, and Audi overall, how boring...
Razor
QUOTE(SwissWhiskey @ Jun 13 2010, 04:59 AM) *
What a boring and sad race. GT1 is 2 cars, all Matech Ford GTs are out. GT2 is is 7 cars big and both Vettes and Risi F430s are out, Zuffenhausen is going to win this one, and Audi overall, how boring...

Sad? I'll give you that. As much as I don't like Peugeot, that was a real heartbreaker. But boring? BORING? No way. That was the definition of what Le Mans is... it's not only a race, but a survival trial, and more than 20 cars were proven not worthy to standing up to 24 hours on the Circuit de La Sarthe. 28 victims... must be a new record. Speaking of new records, 3367 is now the number to beat!
tune
I thought the race was pretty good in terms of how it didn't pan out how you'd have said so on Thursday night/Friday morning.

I was just about to go back to the circuit to see the Peugeots close in on the Audi's (albeit a mighty task they probably would've done it in the last couple of hours) and then before I could get sorted the #2 Peugeot was out and then the Oreca Peugeot out shortly after.

They were saying on Radio Le Mans that they thought it could be a turbo overheating issue, having been on qualifying pace, then pitting and then going out very shortly after the pitstops.

I lost a lot of respect for John Hindhaugh this weekend for his scathing attack on Anthony Davidson. I didn't get to see the incident where the Corvette went off as a result of Anthony passing in the Peugeot, but from what I've heard it sounded like a racing incident and unfortunate. It's fine to have your opinion but to berate him and call Davidson a dick on live radio was well out of order I think.

Shame that the Mansell car went out so early, they had plenty of fans there this year.

Overall I was glad to see a variety, largely in the GT2 category.

Being English I was glad to see a lot of our cars make the finish (Aston, RML, Strakka, Drayson Lola, etc.).

I had a good time as always, although our evening fun was a little bit subdued due to us taking a TV for the World Cup. Mad Friday was largely halted by the Gendarmerie, with 2 vans parked on the roundabout at one point!
For the first time I went to see the drivers parade in the city, which regretably we didn't get a place at the front soon enough so couldn't see anything really. Although it appears to be a long drawn out affair, with periods of 15 minutes passing where there was no action on the route. I did however eat at the Le Mans Legends Cafe, which is quite a cool place with plenty of memorabilia.

Razor
QUOTE(tune @ Jun 16 2010, 08:47 AM) *
I lost a lot of respect for John Hindhaugh this weekend for his scathing attack on Anthony Davidson. I didn't get to see the incident where the Corvette went off as a result of Anthony passing in the Peugeot, but from what I've heard it sounded like a racing incident and unfortunate. It's fine to have your opinion but to berate him and call Davidson a dick on live radio was well out of order I think.

He's not a dick, he's a fucking douchebag:

clarkma5
I really like Anthony Davidson, that move was far from a high point for him but I sorta think that somewhere between the adrenaline of his mega-quick quadruple stint and not seeing the aftermath of what he started (because he was already down the road) goes some way toward explaining his attitude there.
tune

This is the first time I've seen it, but I don't see too much wrong with it. The lower classes have cars overtaking them all the time, it seemed as though the Corvette didn't see him until it was too late. They didn't actually touch and Davidson was on the racing line.

Hindhaugh was slating Davidson for thinking his race was more important that the Corvette's, which I don't think he was really, he was just completely on it at the time and made a regular move.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.