Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Lighting Question
Dieselstation Car Forums > Multimedia > Photography > Technique & Tutorials
DonJuanMair
I currently have two lights and im about to get another two. These will be mainly used for rim lighting and background lighting.

I have a question about what diffuser you would usually use on the background light.....i have a 60inch umbrella and a beauty dish. So i would like to add a diffuser maybe a soft box. just not sure which would be best for the background.............
Blue Devil
depends on the effect you want to add?

even light?

spot light?

accentuate texture?

it's a case by case scenario.. maybe if you tell us what you want to do?

DonJuanMair
well bearing in mind that my locations are always different, Prob just want to make it look like its naturally lit
Seethegrim
Are you talking about for cars or people? Cos I know you been shooting alot of people lately.
DonJuanMair
oh yeah sorry people
Nike SB'd
QUOTE(DonJuanMair @ Jun 10 2010, 07:17 PM) *
well bearing in mind that my locations are always different, Prob just want to make it look like its naturally lit

Again it depends on what exactly you're lighting, for example making a wall look "natural" is a lot different than making a bush or tree look natural. Typically the larger the light source the better though.
Seethegrim
QUOTE(Nike SB'd @ Jun 12 2010, 09:23 AM) *
Again it depends on what exactly you're lighting, for example making a wall look "natural" is a lot different than making a bush or tree look natural. Typically the larger the light source the better though.

And to continue on what Sean said, larger light source means bounce. Ceiling, wall, polyboard... Rather add ambient lighting this way than directly lighting wall 'A', then wall 'B', etc.
DonJuanMair
I've ordered a large softbox with a grid. Ill go from there! Thanks for the replies though guys
Nate047
good call, keep in mind that a grid for a big softbox is going to be heavy though

another way you can kind of "spot" softboxes by removing the inner diffuser, the result is not as accentuated as using a grid but it's kind of a half way point between huge open soft light and a spotted but diffused source
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2018 Invision Power Services, Inc.