Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Bank's new ride!
Dieselstation Car Forums > Parking Lot > User's Rides
bankE46
You may have noticed the name change.. The VW has been officially retired! After a trip down to NJ to check the car out on friday, I returned on tuesday to pick it up. It's a 2002 M3 with 47k on the odometer. Tires are fresh, engine is pristine and the ride is heavenly. Everything about it is in an entirely different league than the GTI and its a blast to drive. No mods planned in the near future - gotta get deeper into the black (and get used to its already abundant power) before I start putting money into it. smile.gif Sorry for the mediocre pics - I used my folk's point-and-shoot to snap some shots and it was a bit crudded up from the ~3hr drive from the dealer. A big thanks to all those who suggested/pushed for the M3 in my original 'new car' thread. thumbs_up.gif

On a side note, anyone in the area who is looking for a decent set of used 17" 5x100 wheels should check out my Flik Artics

Now for the pics!

Bjorn
It's beautiful.

Congratulations.

BlackJack
[hex]Eh, could use some work. Sell it![/hex]

In all seriousness, it looks awesome and the mileage sure is low for its year! Great find and I'm sure you'll have a lot of fun with it. Just until the summer tongue.gif
b0mb3r
congrads! hell of an upgrade too smile.gif
fiber optic
I just saw a Laguna Seca Blue one this morning. thumbs_up.gif
dukenukem
Cool ride. Congratulations!!
Dr. Strangelove
One of my favorite BMWs. Great car! Congrats! Got to love the sound of that engine at full song hu?
Vadvagool
That's just a sexy car.

Altostratus
needs hours of detailing(ohnoes!), but other than that, Epic choice thumbs_up.gif
clarkma5
Huzzah for good tires on the 18s and the cloth-centered seats. Black exterior is a bit of a shame (impossible to keep clean...) but to each his own. Very nice.
Synesthesia
Fantastic! Nice work. smile.gif
KarmaWeasel
Very nice. I'm jealous.
GTR
You're a proud owner of one of my absolute dream cars since it first came out. Very nice choice indeed
350Z
Congratulations, one of the most complete cars in the world.
Razor
My uncle still has an E46 M3 SMG and my late uncle had an E46 M3 6-speed. I've had the pleasure of driving both of them. Damn good car. Congrats! thumbs_up.gif
bankE46
You're a proud owner of one of my absolute dream cars since it first came out.

Same here! I definitely fell in love with the E46 style many years ago and it remains my favorite generation aesthetically. thumbs_up.gif

Thanks all! It's still sinking in with every drive. smile.gif I'm going to try and get it cleaned up and get some proper photos. Are there any DS photographers in New England interested in arranging a shoot? My budget isn't huge, but I'm not expecting magazine-quality shots either.
Razor
QUOTE(bankE46 @ Jun 4 2010, 09:08 AM) *
Thanks all! It's still sinking in with every drive. smile.gif I'm going to try and get it cleaned up and get some proper photos. Are there any DS photographers in New England interested in arranging a shoot? My budget isn't huge, but I'm not expecting magazine-quality shots either.

I will take a few shots with my phone camera in exchange for a chicken sandwich and a happy ending (auto-focus will cost you extra). tongue.gif

And by the way, you should go to Lime Rock this year for the American Le Mans Series Northeast GP... you could put that thing in the BMW corral.
bankE46
QUOTE(Razor @ Jun 4 2010, 09:39 AM) *
I will take a few shots with my phone camera in exchange for a chicken sandwich and a happy ending (auto-focus will cost you extra). tongue.gif

And by the way, you should go to Lime Rock this year for the American Le Mans Series Northeast GP... you could put that thing in the BMW corral.

Sorry, happy endings are way out of my budget! Although I will buy you a double-down just to watch you writhe in pain after your body attempts to digest it.

Good idea for the race! Limerock's website seems to indicate that there isn't a BMW corral for the event which is too bad, but I haven't been there in years so it'll be fun to get back. I'll be sure to bring my DSLR smile.gif
infinity
Congratulations! Eager to see some pics after you've cleaned it and with a better camera.

Also, perfect name change haha.

Enjoy! I'm jealous!
SwissWhiskey
Needs some inside/outside detailing! Else then that congrats! Now Its needs some M3 CSL wheels!
http://www.autoindependent.com/%5Cupload%5...0pics%20130.jpg

Mods: CSL air intake box....
Aircooled
Ahh the e46 M3. Equipped with the s54 I6 with a displacement ~3 liters with an output of ~330 hp. Despite some failures due to an incorrectly made part in the earlier production (make sure your engine doesn't have it) and very excellent engine. One of the engines I've considered for swapping into an e30 when I eventually get it. This car would go on the top 10 DS owned car list.
Bjorn
I've said it before and I'll say it again. In the past year or so the quality of cars on this forum has skyrocketed.

Makes me wish I had the property to fit a fun car. Maybe I can convince the wife to sell the Yaris and get a 2.5L Boxster. Ha! Fat Chance!
bankE46
QUOTE(Aircooled @ Jun 5 2010, 09:18 AM) *
Despite some failures due to an incorrectly made part in the earlier production (make sure your engine doesn't have it) and very excellent engine.

What part are you referring to?
Aircooled
Rod Bearings
bankE46
QUOTE(Aircooled @ Jun 7 2010, 05:02 PM) *
Rod Bearings

Hmm, thanks for the heads up, I'll have to do some investigating.
pervert
Awesome car, one of my all time favourites. thumbs_up.gif I love the black also.
skr
<fanboy> Always loved the e46 over every other styling.. BMW's Best IMO </fanboy>

<nitpicker> Lose the plate frames, detail it, and then spooge.. not all over the car though</nitpicker>

<me> thumbs_up.gif </me>
bankE46
QUOTE(skr @ Jun 8 2010, 12:51 PM) *
<fanboy> Always loved the e46 over every other styling.. BMW's Best IMO </fanboy>

<nitpicker> Lose the plate frames, detail it, and then spooge.. not all over the car though</nitpicker>

<me> thumbs_up.gif </me>

Frames are coming off as soon as the plates show up.. I'm rockin the temporary paper-in-the-window sketchness for now. When I get a free weekend I'll get it washed up and scout out a cool location with the DSLR in tow so I can show off how terrible I am at automotive photography! I'll try not to spooge on the lens...
Diesel
please keep us informed on how reliable it is. I'm curious. That whole BMW/Mercedes stigma of being unreliable and a maintenance hell if it doesn't come with dealer warranty still persists.
Altostratus
BMW Motorsports E46 catalouge
bankE46
QUOTE(Diesel @ Jun 15 2010, 07:26 PM) *
please keep us informed on how reliable it is. I'm curious. That whole BMW/Mercedes stigma of being unreliable and a maintenance hell if it doesn't come with dealer warranty still persists.

Might as well update as the thread has been bumped. Thanks for the catalog Alto! I can finally do my M3 GTR conversion. tongue.gif

So far there have been minor issues. The trim on the inside of the driver's side door - a thin strip of fabric coated rubber started to come detached from the frame, so I dissolved/stripped off the old glue and used a light application of contact cement along ~3' of it, taped it down with blue 3M painter's tape so as not to leave residue and left it overnight. Problem solved.

The only other ongoing issue right now is some buzzing from the speakers. I'm pretty sure that the passenger side door tweeter was blown when I bought the car, but I didn't notice. The mid/low speaker buzzes a little, but having done some research I've found that it can attributed to the actual clips that secure the speaker to the door panel and not a blown speaker. Sometime soon I'm going to be pulling the door panel off, replacing the tweeter and putting a bunch of insulation around the main speaker to eliminate the buzzing.

Other than that, its been running like a charm! I just changed the oil after about 3500 miles and everything is smooth. thumbs_up.gif
Altostratus
i wonder how streetable that GT3 class flywheel would be in that.
Aircooled
QUOTE(Altostratus @ Sep 2 2010, 11:01 AM) *
i wonder how streetable that GT3 class flywheel would be in that.

Thrashingly awesome
bankE46
QUOTE(Aircooled @ Sep 2 2010, 09:07 PM) *
Thrashingly awesome

I've actually read that getting an insanely light flywheel without corresponding upgrades to the rest of the engine/clutch can actually inhibit engine performance. One must focus on achieving a balance when tuning. That being said, it would be a thrashingly awesome mod with new cams, crankshaft, manifolds, headers, pullies, ECU and CAI. biggrin.gif
DaGonz
Very Nice!
May you enjoy many miles of joyous motoring with her.
bankE46
Updates! It'll be two years that I've owned my M3 in July and I figured I'd post some updates. I just switched back from the snow setup to the summer setup. The new rubber is Michelin Pilot Super Sports and they are amazing! Best tires I've ever driven on in my life.

As far as maintenance that I've had to put in so far: (bought the car July 2010 with 47k miles)
- Replaced door seals w/airbag sensors in winter 2010.
- Performed Inspection II when I hit 60k miles in summer 2011.
- Due to the cooling fan mysteriously shattering, the radiator, fan and some tubing was replaced in winter 2011, around 68k miles
- Replaced windshield washer pump, front drivers side wheel bearing, RTABs, and rear suspension bushings last week, around 71k miles
- Work to be done: replace passenger side splash guard (visible in last pic)

Just had the car detailed over the weekend and its looking/running great. I can't talk up the michelin PSS enough.. the grip is unreal and I haven't even had a chance to get them properly heated yet. I spoke with my mechanic who races E46s at Limerock Park and hopefully I'll be heading to the track a couple times this summer. Most likely I'll be putting in some camber plates and having the brakes done before that - full pads/rotors job, possibly a DIY project. I'll definitely be posting pics from the track, and possibly video if I can figure out a track-sanctioned mounting system for a GoPro or similar.

Here are some phone snaps from this weekend smile.gif I'm going to try and break out the digital rebel while the car is still pristine and go for some quality shots.

OHirtenfelder
Nice! Looks great. I used to hate E46 M3s, because the dude who drive them are dickheads (here in SA at least).

But the douchiness took a back seat when the E92s hit the shelf, and for some reason I've found myself wanting desperately to drive an E46 M3 more and more.

So jealous of you man, great ride!!
dukenukem
Looking good. Hope to see vids of you racing it at Limerock soon. smile.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.