Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Blending mutliple exposures in Photoshop
Dieselstation Car Forums > Multimedia > Photography > Technique & Tutorials
OzCarSightings
Hi guys,

I'm a bit of a noob when it comes to Photoshop and this is something I've wanted to know how to do for a while. Googled but haven't found a suitable tutorial.

Say I have 2 (or more) photos which are the same except one has the polarizer adjusted for the hood and the other for the doors, how do I combine/blend them together? Same deal if I took two photos with the flashes lighting different parts of the car and I wanted to combine it to make one final image.

Perhaps I'm not searching for the right terms but I can't find any answers, so if someone could explain or point me in the right direction that'd be great. smile.gif

Thanks.
GFWilliams
First, import the images so that they are 1 image to each layer.*
Make sure they are perfectly lined up.
Select the higher layer and change the layer blending to darken (if you are doing the double polariser trick).
Lighten mode can be used for blending flash exposures.

*You can go File > Scripts > Load files to stack then select the images you want to layer up and automatically align them.
OzCarSightings
Thanks mate, legend! Just tried it (with the polariser) and worked a treat.
DB9
Nice, I needed this too
GFWilliams
Glad it helped smile.gif
OzCarSightings
Now, to take this one step further - what if you wanted to blend specific parts of different images together (rather than relying on PS to "darken" or "lighten")? Can you select parts of the image before changing the blending mode? I'm not at home currently so can't try it out.
GFWilliams
I think what you mean is to add and remove parts of lighting from the image.

If so, turn each layer into a layer mask and add/remove the parts you want or don't want.

HTH
Racersky
Do you guys have any examples of this polariser trick? Sorry I am a newbie to the photoshop world and photography world as well. Been trying to find some tutorials to learn up on both.
Seethegrim
QUOTE(Racersky @ Jul 29 2011, 05:23 PM) *
Do you guys have any examples of this polariser trick? Sorry I am a newbie to the photoshop world and photography world as well. Been trying to find some tutorials to learn up on both.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hXl1aF1-Waw

One of several thousand showing the effects.
IamPhil
Wow, what are the odds. I just recently started a new job where they didn't like their current showroom photography and I'm trying to find faster ways of blending exposures to get them the shots they want at the rate they want them. I could probably post some examples soon.
Racersky
QUOTE(Seethegrim @ Jul 29 2011, 10:48 AM) *
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hXl1aF1-Waw

One of several thousand showing the effects.

Thanks for the reply I was talking about the merging of images in photoshop with the polarizer trick.

would this be an example of a polarizer trick?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/ghostchild/59...57627122667950/
Seethegrim
QUOTE(Racersky @ Jul 30 2011, 01:42 AM) *
Thanks for the reply I was talking about the merging of images in photoshop with the polarizer trick.

would this be an example of a polarizer trick?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/ghostchild/59...57627122667950/

No, thats a single hand-held shot. Probably WITH a polarizer yes, but not multiple shots.

Its easy.

1. Put camera on tripod.
2. Put polarizer on lens.
3. Take photo of car.
4. Turn polarizer.
5. Take another photo.
6. Wash, rinse, repeat.
7. Open PS
8. Import all those shots into 1 canvas as layers.
9. Apply a layer mask to all layers above the 1st base image. Make sure its a hidden layer mask.
10. Brush back parts of the car that have been 'polarized' on each respective layer.
11. Merge.
12. Done.
Racersky
QUOTE(Seethegrim @ Jul 30 2011, 03:18 AM) *
No, thats a single hand-held shot. Probably WITH a polarizer yes, but not multiple shots.

Its easy.

1. Put camera on tripod.
2. Put polarizer on lens.
3. Take photo of car.
4. Turn polarizer.
5. Take another photo.
6. Wash, rinse, repeat.
7. Open PS
8. Import all those shots into 1 canvas as layers.
9. Apply a layer mask to all layers above the 1st base image. Make sure its a hidden layer mask.
10. Brush back parts of the car that have been 'polarized' on each respective layer.
11. Merge.
12. Done.

Oh ok to obtain that look in the picture I just need to follow the steps you mentioned? I'll give that at go thanks
Jacob Photo
QUOTE(GFWilliams @ May 18 2010, 11:10 PM) *
*You can go File > Scripts > Load files to stack then select the images you want to layer up and automatically align them.

wow, this is awesome! used this for the first time this weekend... thank you smile.gif
The Unibomber
QUOTE(Jacob Photo @ Aug 1 2011, 09:25 AM) *
wow, this is awesome! used this for the first time this weekend... thank you smile.gif

I never knew about this either...im looking for old composites right now to try it out haha
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2018 Invision Power Services, Inc.