Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Thinking of buying new strobes, but canīt make my mind up
Dieselstation Car Forums > Multimedia > Photography > Gear & Equipment
martin.ger
So Iīve gotten some money, that I would like to invest in some better lights than my flashguns.
I see alot of you guys use Alienbees, so i guess they do the part very well. Only problem for me is that they do not ship to Norway...(Yeah, i live with polarbears in the street and snow all year round:)

I have been looking at a set of Elinchrom D-lite 4. Like this kit right here
Elinchrom D-lite kit

Does anyone know anything about this kit? is it powerfull enough for shooting in daylight and so on?

Any ideas on other sets that would do the trick for me?smile.gif
Hopefully you guys could help me out a bit here:)

Martin
Nate047
I would venture to say that for the price, yes that is a good starter kit. Two 600 w/s lights should provide you with enough power to overpower the sun most of the time thumbs_up.gif

edit: didn't notice it was 2 lights that equal 600 w/s together.......
john jovic
QUOTE(martin.ger @ May 6 2010, 12:44 AM) *
I have been looking at a set of Elinchrom D-lite 4. Like this kit right here
Elinchrom D-lite kit

Does anyone know anything about this kit? is it powerfull enough for shooting in daylight and so on?

That kit has a 200Ws and 400Ws light. If I were buying new lights I'd aim a little higher as a 200ws would not be very useful in many situations and even though the 400ws would be OK a lot of the time it would be limiting, especially when trying to overpower daylight, and not nearly as useful as a a few 600WS or better.

Hi ISO lets you get away with much less powerfull lights but only if you aren't competing with daylight where only flash power and high sync speeds help.

I'd look for at least 600ws+. I really like the Ranger RX, 1100WS which is more powerful than you'd even really need on location. I think the Ranger is probably the best solution for location car photography but fairly expensive as you'd probably need at least 2 and probably 3 packs and sets of extra batteries for each.

If you really want the ultimate then have a look at this. It has nothing to do with car photography but I just love watching it and how over the top it is in terms of power and power reserve. BUt it's more than $10K worth of light (Scoro A4S), and you need a generator!

http://blog.chasejarvis.com/blog/2009/10/c...hoto-sequences/

JJ
n1smo
Id recommend to get a d-lite 4/4 IT set (800w) with tronix explorer XT SE power source and a skyport transmitter.
Make sure its the IT, that are the new d-lites with new features like integrated skyport reciever.
Its definetly the best buy for the buck you can get in europe. If you need some more power consider
the BX500RI.

I think all the pro portable power sources are way too expensive and the tronix gets the job done.

Thats what i would buy with a low budget.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2018 Invision Power Services, Inc.