Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Looking for a laptop
Dieselstation Car Forums > Multimedia > Electronics & Technology
DB9
I don't have that many requirements... I'm open to any suggestions but heres just some tidbits:

-I'm leaning more towards Windows 7 stuff, as opposed to a Mac just because Mac's are very pricey with not that great of performance (even with student pricing)--at least from what I've seen. But if you can prove me wrong, be my guest.

-As mentioned somewhat earlier, I'm looking for something relatively cheap. Maybe around the $600-900 range.

-I'll be using InDesign/Photoshop/Illustrater, iTunes, maybe a few pc games (just stuff like CS:S, TF2), and basic student needs like word, powerpoint.

-I wan't a regular laptop, none of that tablet/netbook shit.

-I'm flexible in terms of hard drive space.

-I'm kind of looking for something with the new "i" processors (i3 i5 i7)

Thats all I can think of for now...

I started looking around a little bit, but I don't know anything about these comps, but for the price, they seemed nice. Here and Here

Thanks guys.
Razor
Macs have improved a load price-wise, but as you seem to want to game and do gfx work... the Macs more capable of that are still overpriced.
DB9
Yea I know. The cheapest mac with the i3 processor is just north of 1000. My dad has 2 pro's, which I love to use, but even those are around 1500.
Aircooled
I got my first mac computer when I went to college, which was only 2 years ago, and it was disappointing. Its slow, can't cut/paste files, lacks native NTFS writing capability, past winter I left it overnight in my car and after I got it wouldn't boot up till after it warmed up and thats just the start. I know you can run windows on them, but as mentioned mac hardware is a lot more expensive and honestly if I had the choice between OSX and Windows when I booted, I would never use OSX.
Flaw
Lenovo G460 Laptop - core i5 430M/320GB/14″/4GB/Nvidia GEforce 310M 512MB for $699 w/ free shipping

I would not recommend the two HP laptop's you listed just based on the fact that HP's resell for very little on CL/eBay/etc. Are you considering ASUS, Dell, Sony VAIO, Lenovo, higher-end Toshiba's or Acers (on sale for cheap)?
infinity
I'm on my 2nd HP. The first one lasted me 4 years with no issues at all, and I decided I wanted to upgrade to newer technology/faster/more space.

It's an HP G60. I love the thing.

Intel Pentium Dual Core Processor T4400 (2.2 GHz, 1 MB L2 Cache, 800 MHz FSB)
3GB DDR2 System Memory (2 DIMM) (expandable to 4 GB)
320GB (5400RPM) Hard Drive (SATA), LightScribe SuperMulti 8X DVD±R/RW with Double Layer Support
Genuine Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
Up to 3.75 Hours of Battery Life
15.6" Diagonal High-Definition HP BrightView Widescreen Display (1366x768),
Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 4500M (shared) with up to 1309MB total available graphics memory

$520 w/ Free Shipping via Amazon.
Halflifehavock13
My friends and I have had nothing but problems with hp's. ALL of them had wireless card failure and out of the 5 of us, all but one have had hard drive failure and motherboard failure.
Razor
QUOTE(Flaw @ May 4 2010, 05:51 PM) *
Lenovo G460 Laptop - core i5 430M/320GB/14″/4GB/Nvidia GEforce 310M 512MB for $699 w/ free shipping

I would not recommend the two HP laptop's you listed just based on the fact that HP's resell for very little on CL/eBay/etc. Are you considering ASUS, Dell, Sony VAIO, Lenovo, higher-end Toshiba's or Acers (on sale for cheap)?

I second Lenovo... I'm always impressed with their build quality.
Vadvagool
QUOTE(Razor @ May 4 2010, 06:51 PM) *

I third Lenovo. I have one, never had a problem.
DB9
Yea I wasn't really picking HP for any specific reason... my dad seems to like them (hes a technology coordinator at a highschool), but I feel like he might just be getting lucky or something. Lenovo has always had a good reputation so I'll check that out. Any others brands are fine too.

Edit: It says coupon not valid once I enter it in.
Vadvagool
I know a few people with Toshiba that really like them.
John Potts
I have an HP and its alright for what I need it for. Its had 2 overheating problems but it was still under warranty ( circuit city, right before they filed for bankruptcy, awesome timing ) luckily the warranty company is a third party one so I got it fixed for free. I dont really expect it to last as long as other laptops, my brothers is having video card problems and his is 3 + yrs old. I opted for the AMD processor because it was cheaper and personal preference. It does pretty well with photoshop cs2 and the few video games i play on it.
hope this helps
duality
dell - my family and friends have owned many...aside from low battery after 3 years, no probs what so ever. dell is goooood.
Bjorn
QUOTE(Razor @ May 4 2010, 08:51 PM) *

Mitlov (some of you may remember him) had a bit of a debacle with Lenovo. He was an, er, um, interesting guy though, so I wouldn't take this as a PSA for all Lenovos.

QUOTE(Vadvagool @ May 4 2010, 10:16 PM) *
I know a few people with Toshiba that really like them.

My personal experience with Toshiba has been dismal. Little things braking all the time, like volume knobs and USB ports . . . then big stuf starts to go. I would never buy another Toshiba.

Personally if you want to go PC I would recommend Dell or HP. Both seem to make really solid stuff. My brother swears by Dell, and I have never been disappointed with an HP.

I migrated to Mac though, and don't think I will go back. The only things I don't like about Apple ATM is the way they regulate apps on things like the iPad and iPhone, and the way they handled this whole iPhone 4 thing. Neither of which are enough to get me to stop liking the hardware or OSX.
Razor
QUOTE(Bjorn @ May 12 2010, 06:46 PM) *
I migrated to Mac though, and don't think I will go back. The only things I don't like about Apple ATM is the way they regulate apps on things like the iPad and iPhone, and the way they handled this whole iPhone 4 thing. Neither of which are enough to get me to stop liking the hardware or OSX.

Exactly what I think about them. It's why I will have a Palm Pre Plus in a week and not an iPhone... being a developer for Mac OS Mobile is like being an opinion writer in North Korea.
dukenukem
I also love how Apple supports its older hardware and the ease with which you can swap/ upgrade parts on the macbook. :[
Razor
QUOTE(dukenukem @ May 12 2010, 07:38 PM) *
I also love how Apple supports its older hardware and the ease with which you can swap/ upgrade parts on the macbook. :[

Tell me about it. I'm about to pay $3000 for the power I want rather than something like $700. You can probably guess what I'm buying once school's out. :-/
dukenukem
QUOTE(Razor @ May 12 2010, 06:55 PM) *
Tell me about it. I'm about to pay $3000 for the power I want rather than something like $700. You can probably guess what I'm buying once school's out. :-/

What?
Razor
QUOTE(dukenukem @ May 13 2010, 12:00 PM) *
What?

A new MacBook Pro. If I had a Dell or something, I could just get a new graphics card, processor, more memory, etc. rather than a whole new computer.
DB9
Yea I'm skeptical about toshiba, I've heard their reliability isn't that great. Lenovo deals are pretty hard to come by, however. Still surfing around to see what I can find.
BadBoi
In the past three years, I've owned a HP dv2000 laptop ($700 three years ago) that lasted me for the past three years and is still going strong. The only problem I had with it was that the battery life was short. It was ridiculously easy to open up and upgrade the RAM and the hard drive.

It still functions perfectly to this day (is running Windows 7 on it now) and I passed it down to my sister. I use a Sony Vaio Z now and it is probably one of the best well-rounded laptops you can buy. It is very light, powerful with switchable graphics, has a long battery life, crisp screen and on and on and on.

In any case, if you are considering a Sony or a Lenovo and don't mind buying refurbished, take a look at outlet.lenovo.com or go to sonystyle.com and choose sony outlet. I bought my Vaio refurbished and saved about ~ 600 dollars off retail. There are some good deals on there.
Jacob Photo
QUOTE(Flaw @ May 4 2010, 02:51 PM) *

argh.....

looks like this deal passed. It would be perfect for what I need!

Someone wanna find me a similar deal?
Jacob Photo
I ended up with this one:

www.amazon.com/K52JK-A1-15-6-Inch-Versatile-Entertainment-Laptop/dp/B003BEDRVG/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1276195212&sr=8-2

* Intel Core i5-430M Processor
* 4GB of DDR3 1066MHz DRAM, 2 slots, 8GB Max
* 500GB Hard Drive (7200 RPM); Windows 7 Home Premium (64 bit) Operating System
* ATI 5145 Graphics Engine with 1GB DDR3 Dedicated VRAM; Super Multi Optical Disk Drive; Wireless 802.11bgn
* 15.6-Inch HD LED LCD Widescreen Display; 0.3MP Webcam; HDMI Port
SpeedDemon
Well it depends what you plan on using your computer for. Are you going to be doing more business or more art. If you're doing business, get a pc. If you're doing art, get a mac.
Diesel
i LOVE my Sony Vaio FW
DB9
I got a Lenovo IdeaPad Y560. Its got i7, 8gb RAM, ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5730 1GB, 15.6" screen, 500gb space, and obviously windows 7 64-bit. All for around $1100. Started at around 1700, but Lenovo had a special which brought it down to $1300 and then I added a Father's Day Coupon code. Seemed like a good deal to me. Should be coming in a few days.
Razor
QUOTE(DB9 @ Jun 21 2010, 03:49 PM) *
I got a Lenovo IdeaPad Y560. Its got i7, 8gb RAM, ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5730 1GB, 15.6" screen, 500gb space, and obviously windows 7 64-bit. All for around $1100. Started at around 1700, but Lenovo had a special which brought it down to $1300 and then I added a Father's Day Coupon code. Seemed like a good deal to me. Should be coming in a few days.

I paid more than twice that for half the specs! biggrin.gif

DB9
It took me a while to find something like that, but I'm pretty pleased with the purchase. whistle.gif Can't wait to test it out. I'll upload some pics when it comes in.
moe
I bought a Lenovo, and I'm very pleased with the price/performance ratio. It's also a durable piece of kit. I would definitely buy another/recommend one to a friend.
DB9
Got it 3 days after I ordered it, but as soon as I opened it the sound didn't work. So i shipped it back to Lenovo. Hopefully it won't take them too long to fix sad.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2018 Invision Power Services, Inc.