Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: influx of video avatars
Dieselstation Car Forums > Forum Issues > Issues & Suggestions
Bjorn
Is anyone else getting slowed down by the crazy DS trend of having video avatars? It seriously takes my computer a few seconds to load each one, during which I can't scroll.

My computer isn't bad either, its a 17 inch MBP with 4gig of RAM and a 2.7 ghz Core 2 Duo.
Razor
QUOTE(Bjorn @ Apr 28 2010, 09:42 AM) *
Is anyone else getting slowed down by the crazy DS trend of having video avatars? It seriously takes my computer a few seconds to load each one, during which I can't scroll.

My computer isn't bad either, its a 17 inch MBP with 4gig of RAM and a 2.7 ghz Core 2 Duo.

What browser are you using?
redls1bird
QUOTE(Razor @ Apr 28 2010, 07:00 AM) *
What browser are you using?

+ 1 . Even my ancient dell laptop 512ram, and single core something or other processor can swing it.
infinity
I've personally never had any issues with them loading...I use Chrome if it makes any difference.
Bjorn
I use chrome too.

Maybe it's something else, but I have noticed that when scrolling up my browser pauses from anywhere from 2 to 30 seconds before letting me scroll past an avatar with video.
clarkma5
Not having any issues on either my work laptop in IE or my home computer in firefox.
Razor
Okay, I was curious so I did some tests.

Constants: (Laptop Specs)
15" MacBook Pro (late 2006 model)
2.16 GHz Core 2 Duo
2 GB RAM
ATI Radeon X1600 w/ 128 MB VRAM
Mac OS 10.6.3 (latest)

Variables: (Browsers)
- Safari 4.0.5 (lastest)
- Chrome 5.0.342.9 (latest)
- Firefox 3.5.3 (latest)

Conclusion:

Safari: did not immediately display the animations but also did not lag whatsoever.
Chrome: lagged horribly, scrolling issue as you noted was definitely apparent. Had to wait for everything on the page to load before anything worked. Got the "beachball of death."
Firefox: no issues, animations loaded quickly and as smoothly as hardware will allow.

There you have it. Chrome for Mac fails at animated GIFs.
nismo
Okay, because this has been happening to me with chrome on my MBP, and I guess I never noticed it before. It lags horribly, especially on other sites I'm on that allow pictures in sigs, and a few people have three or four, and I hate it!

Edit: Vavagool's is bad on whatever browser I use, It's 4 megabites....
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2018 Invision Power Services, Inc.