Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: My daily driver occasional track car : the build
Dieselstation Car Forums > Parking Lot > User's Rides
Pages: 1, 2
Matt_L
Since the 535i is long gone, I decided to stop buying old car and use my current daily driver as a occasional track day car.

First step : brakes update

Stuff : Brembo plain rotors et Hawk HPS pads

The DD

Old Canadian Tires rotors

BLING!

Calipers painted because rust is an ugly color. Only done one side as it's time consuming! I will paint the rear drums black.

clarkma5
Hawk HPS are what I run...they are an improvement for the track but still very streetable...but you could probably still go a notch more aggressive than the HPS and still be good on the street and enjoy yet more heat resistance and performance on track.
Matt_L
Tires received, mags to come in the next 2 weeks... 15x7!! Bought some brake fluid along the way, will bleed them soon.

MustangAficionado
I saw the DD, then was looking for the track car pics
Matt_L
QUOTE(clarkma5 @ Apr 26 2010, 10:41 PM) *
Hawk HPS are what I run...they are an improvement for the track but still very streetable...but you could probably still go a notch more aggressive than the HPS and still be good on the street and enjoy yet more heat resistance and performance on track.

I know, I'll see if they are good enough for the track, it's still a (relatively) light car. If not, well I'll wait for next summer to upgrade, I plan to upgrade to slicks next year too.

QUOTE(MustangAficionado @ Apr 26 2010, 10:42 PM) *
I saw the DD, then was looking for the track car pics

Title changed
Synesthesia
Haha, this is an interesting track car. I look forward to seeing what you do with it. biggrin.gif
clarkma5
Invest in a roll of racer's tape and a CG-Lock, that's what I would suggest tongue.gif
dukenukem
Rock on man! Any suspension mods planned for the future?
Aircooled
Do you need a cage or roll bar?
fiber optic
QUOTE(Aircooled @ Apr 27 2010, 08:53 AM) *
Do you need a cage or roll bar?

Need? No
Want? YES

I've got the plain ol' Brembos + HPS combination on my truck.
Aircooled
I put ATE rotors and Mintex pads on, they were pretty squeaky so I tore them apart and put some brake quiet on and that killed most of the squeaking. They stop like no ones business though, you feel like your eyeballs want to pop out when you're on them real good. I haven't noticed any fade yet, which I was able to notice with my old brake setup.
skr
Great tires. I have those on my Integra.
moe
^ I think my mom may have those on her Camaro.
DB9
Didn't you buy an old rx-7?
Matt_L
New stuff in! Complete pics tomorrow when they are installed!

Aircooled
Haha are you adding more studs to to car?
Matt_L
QUOTE(Aircooled @ May 2 2010, 06:34 PM) *
Haha are you adding more studs to to car?

Nope! Should I?
Aircooled
It was a joke referring to your wheels with 8 holes drilled. I've never seen such a thing, I always thought wheels were drilled to spec, but what do i know I dont deal with wheels.

Hex are 8 hole wheels common?
911xx
They're 'universal' 4 lug wheels.
Matt_L
Nope, they are 4 bolts 4x100, they other holes are "ventilation" holes, you'll see tomorrow.
Aircooled
Hmm, interesting as the only thing that they will be cooling will be the center of the rotor.
BlackJack
Not if there's vents in the center of the rotor. Although, I can see this would be stupid as it would weaken the rotor's structure.
redls1bird
Looking at the photo, one can tell that that spacing between the 2 sets of four holes are not even. They would fit more than one one bolt pattern. Advertising them as ventilation holes just seems like something that you would see on ebay by a less than reputable dealer.
BlackJack
Almost positive that this is the same, This rim, called Retrack, is straight from Konig's website.

Same holes and spokes. Info doesn't say anything about the "ventilation holes". Again, it's 4x100 only according to the website.

Website here

EDIT: after further research, it seems that it's just there for styling.
Matt_L
QUOTE(BlackJack @ May 2 2010, 09:33 PM) *
Almost positive that this is the same, This rim, called Retrack, is straight from Konig's website.

Same holes and spokes. Info doesn't say anything about the "ventilation holes". Again, it's 4x100 only according to the website.

Website here

EDIT: after further research, it seems that it's just there for styling.

Bingo! 4x100 only, you can see from the pic you posted.
skr
Copycat.

My Integra rolling on the same wheels and tire combo. smile.gif
Matt_L
QUOTE(skr @ May 2 2010, 11:09 PM) *
Copycat.

My Integra rolling on the same wheels and tire combo. smile.gif

Damn that's looking great! Wish I had another color choice, but this was all I could get within a quick timeframe... Pictures really don't do justice, it looks wayyy better in real! Eibach Pro Kit springs are coming soon!

Also changed the clear corners to Cork Sports one, much cleaner!

Synesthesia
Love the goofy wheel color. This is going well. biggrin.gif Is this thing manual?
clarkma5
It's an LX pre-facelift model...does it have the 1.6 or the 1.8?
Matt_L
QUOTE(Synesthesia @ May 4 2010, 08:05 PM) *
Love the goofy wheel color. This is going well. biggrin.gif Is this thing manual?

Manual!

QUOTE(clarkma5 @ May 4 2010, 08:46 PM) *
It's an LX pre-facelift model...does it have the 1.6 or the 1.8?

1.8 baby!
Altostratus
PLEASE FOR THE LOVE OF HANDLING! NO PRO KIT SPRINGS!
atleast get some H&R's for the same price
911xx
Lol, you will get flamed by altostratus (who doesn't own a car, by the way) for buying pro-kits for your car... they didn't improve or worsen the handling on my car at all... still stock feeling... and perhaps, maybe even a little bit better!!!
Razor
QUOTE(911xx @ May 9 2010, 03:37 AM) *
Lol, you will get flamed by altostratus (who doesn't own a car, by the way) for buying pro-kits for your car... they didn't improve or worsen the handling on my car at all... still stock feeling... and perhaps, maybe even a little bit better!!!

Uh-oh.
Altostratus
im a student, i live in a major city, and i sold my car.
i ride a bike bitch.
clarkma5
QUOTE(911xx @ May 9 2010, 12:37 AM) *

I'm inclined to agree with benny...pro-kits = too much lowering, not enough stiffness, which thus = bottoming out and poor performance. Subjectively I'm sure they feel better in street driving because they're lower and stiffer, but when you're riding your bump stops at 10/10ths track driving, you're losing performance badly.
911xx
Yeah well as a street driver I'm satisfied with my non-track-driving springs.
clarkma5
Ok well that's fine then I guess but you can understand the concern when we're talking about a track car then. And generally, I'm always going to be a proponent of real performance gains, street or track.
Razor
QUOTE(clarkma5 @ May 9 2010, 11:22 PM) *
And generally, I'm always going to be a proponent of real performance gains, street or track.

FIRST AND FOREMOST: I am NOT trying to begin a flamewar/elitist bullshit/etc discussion with the following comment; I'm genuinely curious.

If you were building a track car from a modern (latest) car model in the $20,000 to $100,000 range, would you go with a traditional manual or non-slushbox auto/sequential transmission, and why?
clarkma5
Manual for reliability/cooling/serviceability concerns, not to mention how the transmission software works with a heavily modified car (which is to say, a massive headache waiting to happen). If I wanted the performance benefits of a DSG I would hold out for a proper racing sequential manual, which is designed for that sort of abuse.
Razor
QUOTE(clarkma5 @ May 9 2010, 11:31 PM) *
Manual for reliability/cooling/serviceability concerns, not to mention how the transmission software works with a heavily modified car (which is to say, a massive headache waiting to happen). If I wanted the performance benefits of a DSG I would hold out for a proper racing sequential manual, which is designed for that sort of abuse.

Exactly what I wanted to know, makes sense.
Matt_L
QUOTE(Altostratus @ May 7 2010, 04:00 AM) *
PLEASE FOR THE LOVE OF HANDLING! NO PRO KIT SPRINGS!
atleast get some H&R's for the same price

Eh? Why would they not be good? Explain and proof please!
Altostratus
I've driven a mustang gt, cobalt ls and ss, and a protege5 all sitting on prokit springs and they were horrible, the handling felt sloppy on all of them, they would bottom out over speed bumps. Check out corksport, racing beat or H&R or the standard eibach sport springs. Another thing to consider matt, is the vast amount of jdm importers in the montreal area, you might be able to score some nice mazdaspeed or tein peices from overseas. But also 911 is right, i dont own a car, and therefore dont know my hand from my ass, but atleast im not a fucking noob and put over a lowering spring on stock struts(albeit his si most likely has a heavier duty strut than a protege lx)
911xx
How far are you from Montreal ?? I bet I could beat you from a dig. DS_Naughty2.gif
Altostratus
What?
Razor
QUOTE(Altostratus @ May 11 2010, 02:37 PM) *
What?

He wants to throw down against your tricycle on the 1320.
Altostratus
Aw snap
nismo
QUOTE(911xx @ May 10 2010, 08:48 PM) *
How far are you from Montreal ?? I bet I could beat you from a dig. DS_Naughty2.gif

I would hope so.

Any engine modifications planned? Is there much of an aftermarket for the 1.8 Protege?
Vadvagool
QUOTE(nismo @ May 11 2010, 02:05 PM) *
I would hope so.

Any engine modifications planned? Is there much of an aftermarket for the 1.8 Protege?

Mazdaspeed parts?
911xx
Was the Mazdaspeed protege using a 1.8T or 2.0T ?? Excuse my ignorance...
Vadvagool
I believe 2.0?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.