Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Stupid oily headlights
Dieselstation Car Forums > Multimedia > Photography > Technique & Tutorials
Grantzphoto
I just shot a z06 and it looks like the headlights went through an oil slick anyone know how to get rid of it? Its like that multicolored rainbow prismatic effect that oil gives off but in the headlight glass. I'd show a pic but I can't as I'm under an nda with this project.

Thanks in advance
-Grant
john jovic
QUOTE(Grantzphoto @ Apr 19 2010, 02:25 PM) *
I just shot a z06 and it looks like the headlights went through an oil slick anyone know how to get rid of it? Its like that multicolored rainbow prismatic effect that oil gives off but in the headlight glass. I'd show a pic but I can't as I'm under an nda with this project.

Thanks in advance
-Grant

Some people acxtually like that! I don't mind it (I don't care either way).

1/ don't use a polarisning filter if you can't stand that side effect (I'm guessing you used one).

2/ desaturate that area so there is no colour, or very little.

JJ
Grantzphoto
QUOTE(john jovic @ Apr 19 2010, 12:52 AM) *
Some people acxtually like that! I don't mind it (I don't care either way).

1/ don't use a polarisning filter if you can't stand that side effect (I'm guessing you used one).

2/ desaturate that area so there is no colour, or very little.

JJ

Yes I did use a polarizer but the funny thing is it was visible to my naked eye too. I tried desaturating it a bit but once that oil slick went away so did all the detail in the headlight.

Oh well I think I'm going to fudge it.
Jacob Photo
couple of options, besides what was mentioned:

- double-expose it (1 exposure with the polarizer, 1 without)

- wear polarizing sunglasses on your shoot (before you start shooting) - it will show you if the headlights / windshield / other parts will give you that "oily" effect if you use a polarizer.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2018 Invision Power Services, Inc.