Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: LED Light Panels and Sticks
Dieselstation Car Forums > Multimedia > Photography > Gear & Equipment
mackey
I'm in talks with a company to produce some beta LED lighting panels and systems along with a portable power source. There is no price detail yet, however, I would try and make them as cheap as I can get them. Pending some further details and designs, would you be generally interested in possibly purchasing a Portable Cost Efficient High Powered LED Lighting System?

Working on more details.
NVphotoman
why would you have them made? we have many LED lights that we use for commercials and music videos that go from 100 to 2000 LED battery powered that last a few hours before recharging..

they are great and some are cheap!!
john jovic
QUOTE(NVphotoman @ Apr 17 2010, 12:14 PM) *
....they are great and some are cheap!!

Any examples?

Last time I looked, about 18 months ago, there was nothing cheap. If you wanted hi light output and rasonably 'white' light, then you had to bend over and take it...

I imagine there are plenty of Chinese knockoffs by now and I suppose LED technology is getting better and cheaper by the day.

I'm not a big fan of any kind of panel because you are limited to the dimensions of the panel itself. That's partly the reason I built my own, because it could be as small as I wanted, without any modifier, or as large as the modifier I fitted. If you buy a small panel then it has to be very powerfull to cope with any modifier, if you choose to fit one.

JJ
mackey
QUOTE(john jovic @ Apr 16 2010, 08:38 PM) *
Any examples?

Last time I looked, about 18 months ago, there was nothing cheap. If you wanted hi light output and rasonably 'white' light, then you had to bend over and take it...

I imagine there are plenty of Chinese knockoffs by now and I suppose LED technology is getting better and cheaper by the day.

I'm not a big fan of any kind of panel because you are limited to the dimensions of the panel itself. That's partly the reason I built my own, because it could be as small as I wanted, without any modifier, or as large as the modifier I fitted. If you buy a small panel then it has to be very powerfull to cope with any modifier, if you choose to fit one.

JJ

I agree, the quality of these LED's aren't cheap knock offs from China or anything like that.

The panels would be similar to what you described above. The panels would be in sections and you could buy as little or as many as you wanted and link them together. However, I also find it beneficial to create packages for people that just want to run out of the box without having to think too much about putting it together.
NVphotoman
well tell me what is cheap to you?
mackey
QUOTE(NVphotoman @ Apr 16 2010, 09:25 PM) *

mostly everything out there is cheap, that's the thing.

I'll try and get some posted shots once things move along, this is a total side project atm.
Mr.D
In terms of light output, whitebalance and battery time?
john jovic
QUOTE(NVphotoman @ Apr 17 2010, 02:25 PM) *

You mentioned the "C" word first. You tell me what's cheap.

QUOTE(NVphotoman @ Apr 17 2010, 12:14 PM) *
...they are great and some are cheap!!

There are plenty of cheap LED strip lights, like those auto work lights you can buy, but they are pretty ordinary. I've never seen any cheap panels but I haven't looked at that stuff for a long time. Anyway, if you have any links I'd be interested in seeing.

I don't see the point of buying cheap gear if it doesn't work. It inevitably costs more in the long run as you keep upgrading to find some thing that works.

JJ
NVphotoman
by the word "cheap" I meant Low in price....

we have a 2000 battery pwd light that last about 3ish hours and it was $1200 ( it is for lightin up large sets for MV's and commercials.

if your using LEDs for light painting ... your doing it wrong... LED's are not good for that unless your going for a special FX
mackey
I'll have to get the specs back from the company, but we're talking high powered panels (output similar to litepanels.com brand kits) powered by lithium battery packs, lightweight, small, won't catch on fire (cough, vagabonds)

This isn't intended to be used for light painting, although it's totally up to the user to use it how they want. I plan to test mine using them in replace of my strobes.

We're also looking at packaging, building kits that fit in a standard pelican case.

As for price, I'm trying to keep things sub 1k USD. But without a proper prototype built yet, we can't gauge the cost of them yet.

If there is a good general interest in the product, we'll more than likely move forward, and pending my tests on them could start making kits shortly after.
john jovic
QUOTE(NVphotoman @ Apr 18 2010, 03:55 AM) *
if your using LEDs for light painting ... your doing it wrong... LED's are not good for that unless your going for a special FX

I beg to differ, it's worked nicely for me for the last 18 months or so, and I use it regularly. But I built a unit to suit my needs, it's not a light panel or strip of LED's or anything like that.

JJ
john jovic
QUOTE(mackey @ Apr 18 2010, 05:11 AM) *
.... I plan to test mine using them in replace of my strobes....

Why are you going down that route? Strobes put out a very large amount of light for their size, cost, battery.

Are you trying to make a light that can be used in full sun, and if so, at what distance? If not, what application do you think it would have?

JJ
mackey
QUOTE(john jovic @ Apr 17 2010, 07:56 PM) *
Why are you going down that route? Strobes put out a very large amount of light for their size, cost, battery.

Are you trying to make a light that can be used in full sun, and if so, at what distance? If not, what application do you think it would have?

JJ

I'm helping build out these prototypes, they won't replace them totally, I'll still always need strobes, but these panels could have very different results than strobes, even if its for backlighting.
Jacob Photo
I think for every 100 photographers who says "yes i'll buy it" on a web forum, you'll get 10 who might consider it in their photography career, and 1 who actually pulls the trigger within the first year of this being offered. This is for any new product, regardless of how useful it actually is. I'm sure the AutomotiveRigs.com people can give you a similar story...

I know there are TONS of options out there for video LED kits, but they are expensive because A) they are calibrated, cool.gif they are bleeding-edge technology, and C) in general, the market for Video LED lighting isn't limited by price. I had a friend who was heavily involved in the high-end cinema market 5 or 6 years ago, and he told me about LED light banks that cost about $30 worth of LED's to make yet sold for $1,000 because it was bleeding-edge technology and was "HD". And yet commercial shoots would have 50 of them on a set. This was BEFORE the big push for 720p / 1080p / 2k / 4k, before the RED camera was on the market, before D-SLR's shot videol, etc.... granted, the market has changed, but I think some of the same concept is the same.

I'm sure there are several cheaper kits out there today, but I don't think that anything you would come up with would be A) drastically different than what is out there already, and cool.gif used by enough photographers to be worth your time.

I fully encourage you to pursue setting something up with lighting that you would use personally. I don't think you should bother with trying to get "kits" produced / marketed towards photographers.
frisco
Mackey - I'm in for details. I don't check the forum all that much anymore but email me whenever with updates. Thx man.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2018 Invision Power Services, Inc.