Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: [Reverse Engineer] GT500 KR
Dieselstation Car Forums > Multimedia > Photography > Technique & Tutorials
Seethegrim
So I came across this image recently (and its my desktop too). Generally there are a load of images that I find inspirational, but generally they're commercial images that took $100k budgets.

This however... this is do-able. What I do like is the lighting employed. Now I have a slightly different idea on how this kind of lighting can be done.

I think alot could be done with a single, high placed video light. They those things videographers use because they throw so much light & as far as I know (I'm googling it) they use little power.

The rest would be shooting the body panels seperatly. However, looking at sections like the front bottom bumper, there is no 'fake' lighting going on there - just natural light fall off.

Anyone have any other thoughts?
n1smo
Hm,

i dont think there is anything special about the car.
Pretty sure its just like you said, its just composed of several images with different lightning setups.
The light source might be interesting, looks like some kind of light painting + big light source.

While the front looks really cool, i dont like the side at all.

The background sure is different, but doesnt mean thats good, without those lightning things it would look cool i guess.
Seethegrim
The interesting part of this image, is that it *looks* like there was some kind of continuous lighting system employed to get the general lighting, but more importantly nice sharp definted shadow!

Now on this location perhaps there was a light pole somewhere, but on another location there wouldn't be. So to recreate a good 'base' lighting setup, having a video (or some kind of hard continuous) light would get you on a very good start!

I'm on my continual mission to master night shoots, so this to me, falls into that category of absolute essential technique to nail down.
mackey
To be honest, it looks like they just shot it under neath a bridge, so fixed lights on bridges and buildings probably create most of the light streaks on the car. Other panels were probably lite by strobes or something.
Seethegrim
QUOTE(mackey @ Apr 18 2010, 07:43 PM) *
To be honest, it looks like they just shot it under neath a bridge, so fixed lights on bridges and buildings probably create most of the light streaks on the car. Other panels were probably lite by strobes or something.

Yeah, but the point is how do you create this kind of lighting when you're NOT under a bridge/location lighting reliant.

Good lighting is about being able to produce it anywhere.
Chebs
A lot of the top guys use constant lighting, as you suggested.

Have a look at Nigel Harnimans site for the end image produced with this ARRI constant lighting.
Seethegrim
QUOTE(//deanphoto @ Apr 20 2010, 01:47 AM) *
A lot of the top guys use constant lighting, as you suggested.

Have a look at Nigel Harnimans site for the end image produced with this ARRI constant lighting.

Finally someone is getting what I was trying to get at.

lol, maybe this thread will be a little pointless in the end, but all I was going for was trying to get different thinking on lighting setups, methods & techniques. We all so stuck in our either strobing or light painting, I think very few of us try out different things too! For example: continues lighting whereby instead of moving the lightsource (light painting), you move your object instead. All of a sudden you start getting totally different looks.

The reason I used the GT500 pic was because I think there was a different method of lighting employed to the 'norm'.
Dejan Sokolovski
That's a really good image and I really like the lighting, probably as said it's continous lighting and the car was just moving across it on the side to get the lighting..
but good shit, I need to try this out!
911xx
The mustang shot looks like CGI to me... but I'm no expert.
GFWilliams
I might just try this when I'm in a studio in a few months biggrin.gif
Blue Devil
I like EVERYTHING about the photo... but WOW.. they did a super crappy job with the fake dark area on the rear panel to the door handle.... fix that and it would be one of my fav ever.

am i the only one seeing it?

where did you find this image?
Seethegrim
QUOTE(Blue Devil @ May 3 2010, 10:46 PM) *
I like EVERYTHING about the photo... but WOW.. they did a super crappy job with the fake dark area on the rear panel to the door handle.... fix that and it would be one of my fav ever.

am i the only one seeing it?

where did you find this image?

Yeah, I see that too. Another thing which was sloppy on PS was the wierd blur going on behind the car. Looks like they blurred the bg a bit more for added effect, but forgot to remove the ghosting behind the car.

Found it here: http://www.carwalls.com/
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2018 Invision Power Services, Inc.