Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: DSCOTY 2010: Sports Overall Tie-breaker
Dieselstation Car Forums > Parking Lot > Compare & Contrast
moe
Hopefully this'll be the end of DSCOTY. Haha.

Porsche Boxster Spyder
Base MSRP:
$61,200
Available Engines: 3.4 liter flat-6 with 320 HP with 273 ft.-lbs of torque
Available Transmissions: 6-speed manual, 7-speed PDK
Available Drivetrains: Rear wheel drive
EPA Fuel Economy: TBA
Curb Weight: 2811-2866 lbs.

Lamborghini Gallardo LP550-2 Valentino Balboni
Base MSRP:
$146,000
Available Engines: 5.2 liter V10 with 550 HP with 398 ft.-lbs
Available Transmissions: 6-speed manual, e-Gear
Available Drivetrains: Rear wheel drive
EPA Fuel Economy: 12 City/20 Highway
Curb Weight: 3042 lbs.

moe
This is a really, really tough choice between two epic cars, that'll probably go down as legends. The Boxster is everything a Porsche should be, and almost singe-mindedly crafted to silence the car's detractors.

But the Gallardo, wow, it's something else. Ever since the facelift, it's been an achingly gorgeous car. But shedding pounds, and dropping the AWD have made it the car it always should've been. Hopefully Lambo will learn from this, and make it a regular production model.

However, it must be noted, that I voted for the Gallardo mainly for its stripe.
Razor
mellow.gif
duality
I'd much rather have the Cayman over the Boxster.

In this case, Mr. Balboni wins.
Lancer007
I had to go for the Porsche. The lamborghini, while excedingly brilliant and pure it would seem, just doesn't excite me as much as the spyder. I love the lamborghini but if I had both for a day I would likely take the porsche out first. Plus it's a convertible, that definatly tips the scale towards the porsche.
clarkma5
Love 'em both to death, had to go with the more attainable Porsche. Also, frankly, not a fan of the silly stripe on the Balboni...I'm looking forward to a series production RWD Gallardo very intently though!
b0mb3r
considering that Lamborghini is dropping manual gearboxes... this could be the last chance to own a manual lambo...
Razor
Lambo took a great car and made it a generic supercar. Porsche.
MustangAficionado
QUOTE(Razor @ Apr 12 2010, 07:37 PM) *
Lambo took a great car and made it a generic supercar. Porsche.

By shaving weight, eliminating understeer, and adding power?

Totally
Razor
QUOTE(MustangAficionado @ Apr 12 2010, 11:09 PM) *
By shaving weight, eliminating understeer, and adding power?

Totally

I should've added an "IMO"... but really, now it's just another RMR supercar.
moe
And with AWD, it would be "just another" AWD, mid-engined supercar...you know like the Veyron, Murcielago, Diablo, Porsche 911 Turbo, GT-R, Audi R8...You're also completely missing the point that when they made it RMR, it got rave reviews about how much sweeter the handling was. And more recently, every review I've read for the AWD Superleggera said it wasn't as nice to drive as the Balboni.

Honestly, sometimes your logic (or lack of it) just baffles me. Your blatant fanboyism for AWD and DSG-like shifts is so extreme, you don't even stop to see if they're improving the car, or making it worse.
Razor
I'm just a proponent of technology.
clarkma5
As opposed to being a proponent of merit...congratulations.
Razor
QUOTE(clarkma5 @ Apr 12 2010, 11:56 PM) *
As opposed to being a proponent of merit...congratulations.

Thanks.
dukenukem
QUOTE(moe @ Apr 12 2010, 10:44 PM) *
And with AWD, it would be "just another" AWD, mid-engined supercar...you know like the Veyron, Murcielago, Diablo, Porsche 911 Turbo, GT-R, Audi R8...You're also completely missing the point that when they made it RMR, it got rave reviews about how much sweeter the handling was. And more recently, every review I've read for the AWD Superleggera said it wasn't as nice to drive as the Balboni.

Honestly, sometimes your logic (or lack of it) just baffles me. Your blatant fanboyism for AWD and DSG-like shifts is so extreme, you don't even stop to see if they're improving the car, or making it worse.

Razor does not know how to use a manual gearbox. Technology is his enzyte.
MustangAficionado
Since when is losing an extra 4%(?) in efficiency and going around the track slower in a heavier car technology?

When said supercar is caught in a blizzard?
Razor
QUOTE(dukenukem @ Apr 12 2010, 11:59 PM) *
Razor does not know how to use a manual gearbox. Technology is his enzyte.

I've said it before and I'll say it again. I've driven a few manual cars in my life... it seems boring and archaic to me. Any further scene any of you make of this isn't going to change my opinion. Sorry!

A manual would not keep me from buying a car but I'd sure as hell opt for the better transmission in nearly every case (R8 being one of them).
Bjorn
Like I said in the original post, I am a huge fan of the "budget porsche track-day-special." This Boxster is the first one for my generation, and I ache to own one more than any other Porsche.

The Lambo is awesome, but is cool not because of what it is, but because of what every other Lambo since Audi took over isn't.
moe
QUOTE(Razor @ Apr 13 2010, 08:07 AM) *
I've said it before and I'll say it again. I've driven a few manual cars in my life... it seems boring and archaic to me. Any further scene any of you make of this isn't going to change my opinion. Sorry!

A manual would not keep me from buying a car but I'd sure as hell opt for the better transmission in nearly every case (R8 being one of them).

We're not trying to get you to change your opinion (at least I'm not, I just like to poke fun now and again), personal preferences are personal preferences. You just seem to be looking for trouble when you call things like DSG "better" (and I'm not just referring to transmissions, but AWD, and all the other stuff we disagree on). Yes, there are situations when something like PDK or AWD can clearly be considered better by all objective means, but that isn't always the case. There are times when you can't blindly support technology, for technology's sake. The R8, I think, is a very good example of that. I don't think I've heard from a single source yet that the variation of the eGear shift they use is particularly good, or "better" than the manual. Yet you go on calling it the "better" transmission. I'm not saying things are better without technology either. I'll be the first to say that if I had to buy a 997.5 Turbo or an E60 M5, I'd would definitely go with the PDK and SMG (respectively). The manuals just aren't as good on those cars.

Go ahead and favor PDK and AWD if you like, that's your right. But to blindly say they're "better" in scenarios when they clearly aren't is just blind. Heh, I should just call you the DSG Taliban.
Bjorn
^Just out of curiosity, isn't the non-manual transmission in the R8 a torque converter automatic?
Razor
QUOTE(moe @ Apr 13 2010, 08:49 AM) *
We're not trying to get you to change your opinion (at least I'm not, I just like to poke fun now and again), personal preferences are personal preferences. You just seem to be looking for trouble when you call things like DSG "better" (and I'm not just referring to transmissions, but AWD, and all the other stuff we disagree on). Yes, there are situations when something like PDK or AWD can clearly be considered better by all objective means, but that isn't always the case. There are times when you can't blindly support technology, for technology's sake. The R8, I think, is a very good example of that. I don't think I've heard from a single source yet that the variation of the eGear shift they use is particularly good, or "better" than the manual. Yet you go on calling it the "better" transmission. I'm not saying things are better without technology either. I'll be the first to say that if I had to buy a 997.5 Turbo or an E60 M5, I'd would definitely go with the PDK and SMG (respectively). The manuals just aren't as good on those cars.

Go ahead and favor PDK and AWD if you like, that's your right. But to blindly say they're "better" in scenarios when they clearly aren't is just blind. Heh, I should just call you the DSG Taliban.

I don't mean better in application in every case, but in almost every case it is most literally the better technology (an improvement over what came before it). In the R8's case, the R-Tronic (eGear thing) is a better technology than a standard manual but it's horrifying to use anywhere but a race track... that's what I mean by not better by application.

QUOTE(Bjorn @ Apr 13 2010, 09:34 AM) *
^Just out of curiosity, isn't the non-manual transmission in the R8 a torque converter automatic?

Well the one I was referring to is a harsh-to-drive single-clutch electrohydraulic manual (literally race car technology that's too harsh for regular road use), but now they offer the DSG instead, rebadged as Audi S-Tronic (a fact I was previously unaware of).
clarkma5
No the R8 is still using the single clutch R-tronic...
Razor
QUOTE(clarkma5 @ Apr 13 2010, 11:35 AM) *
No the R8 is still using the single clutch R-tronic...

Yeah, I misread. My mistake.
infinity
Can we just call it a tie and move on already?
dukenukem
QUOTE(infinity @ Apr 13 2010, 04:50 PM) *

No. Thunderdome rules apply.
moe
QUOTE(infinity @ Apr 14 2010, 01:50 AM) *

Why? The Porsche is winning.
infinity
Obviously DS is split between the two...calling one a winner by 1 vote is hardly indicative of our feelings between the two.
moe
Changed my vote to the Boxster. I was pleasantly reminded today of all the reasons I love Porsche...multiple times.
Dr. Strangelove
OK 12 - 9 now.
Bjorn
My local Porsche dealership has a Spyder in the showroom. So beautiful.
Lancer007
QUOTE(infinity @ Apr 14 2010, 11:31 AM) *
Obviously DS is split between the two...calling one a winner by 1 vote is hardly indicative of our feelings between the two.

your opinion is wrong
infinity
Guess so
Frederf
I almost didn't vote for the Porsche because it's so cutesy. The Balboni is much more stately. However the one that makes me just happy to drive around in would have to be the Spyder. The Lambo would be cool and special but not endearing in the cheery way the Porsche is.
Razor
The thing that sold me on the Porsche are the Mini-Carrera-GT looks and the red seatbelts and doorpulls. tongue.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.