Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Which ND filter to get?
Dieselstation Car Forums > Multimedia > Photography > Technique & Tutorials
waijai
So I just got my new Tokina 11-16 lens in, and I'm shopping for ND filters. Do you guys buy several to use or stick with a specific one? Right now I'm looking at a Tiffen 77mm 0.9 (8x).

What are your thoughts?
mackey
with that wide of a lens, I'd get something low profile otherwise you'll see the edge of the filter at 11-12mm
Mr.D
I have that one, Tiffen 8x... works ok
waijai
When you say works ok, are you happy with your results? Or would you rather have something with less/more light transmission?
Mr.D
I havn't compared it to any other brand... its pretty cheap and works ok for rig and night shots.
B+W probably has better optical glass or coating but i can't say that I have ever seen any substantial difference with the UVs I have owned.
I guess the real difference is how they handle backlighting but never done any tests on it.
JustinCesler
QUOTE(mackey @ Apr 6 2010, 01:55 PM) *
with that wide of a lens, I'd get something low profile otherwise you'll see the edge of the filter at 11-12mm

^ Good advice ^
mike bowen
B+W 77mm Neutral Density (ND) 1.8 106...used it on my 10-22 all the time, no problems with the edge. Great filter. i'm sure the 0.9 would work just as well. here's the place to get it too:

http://maxsaver.net/B-W-77mm-Neutral-Densi...ass-Filter.aspx
SwissWhiskey
BW for the price are the best out there.
Mr.D
QUOTE(mike bowen @ Apr 8 2010, 10:28 PM) *
B+W 77mm Neutral Density (ND) 1.8 106...used it on my 10-22 all the time, no problems with the edge. Great filter. i'm sure the 0.9 would work just as well. here's the place to get it too:

http://maxsaver.net/B-W-77mm-Neutral-Densi...ass-Filter.aspx

Isn't 1.8 overkill? Well not for long exposures in bright daylight of course, but then you usually have to deal with to much reflections anyway.
Hm, i didn't even know they made a 1.8... crap you shouldn't have mentioned it, now I need to test one =)
mike bowen
Usually do long exposures, > 3 secs, so this seems to work best for me. In lower light usually just get away with the CPL
waijai
Ended up ordering that 0.9...should be here in the next couple days.
CarCreative
anyone here tried the vari-nd filters?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Fader-ND-Filter-ND2-...=item20ae4ba9f1

thinking about using them for video and rig stuff without having to buy a load of nds
The Unibomber
QUOTE(mike bowen @ Apr 12 2010, 11:09 AM) *
Usually do long exposures, > 3 secs, so this seems to work best for me. In lower light usually just get away with the CPL

how are you liking it for daytime rig shots?
v2lab
i have that tiffen .9 > works really well; you can go a bit darker i think for daytime rig shots / or closer to evening time with some light

don't forget sometimes you have to actually - over-expose to get the correct color (so it doesn't seem dark regardless) - or just shoot in raw
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2018 Invision Power Services, Inc.