Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Nikkor 84mm F/1.4D
Dieselstation Car Forums > Multimedia > Photography > Gear & Equipment
JoeyC
Hey guys, I just got this lens in the mail (for D300s), Anybody use it for car shoots and what F stop do you find is the sharpest?

Thanks

Bokeh is AMAZING btw.............
john jovic
F5.6-8

Not that I've ever used that lens but it's pretty obvious, and very easy for you to find out for yourself, that it will be sharper when stopped down and it will be sharpest before diffraction has an effect, often around F11-16.

Why are you asking any one else when you can easilly find out for yourself?

JJ
JoeyC
I am finding out myself...........by asking here. Its been pouring rain here for days so I can't go out and shoot.....................
VisualEchos
I use mine @ ƒ1.4, and it's sharp as a tack. I also own the sharpest lens that Nikon has ever made, so I know sharp. Viewing this picture at full-res has the car wanting to drive right off of the screen.

Nike SB'd
I use it all the time, great chunk of glass. My main complaint is that the CA control really sucks compared to newer nikkors. I can't wait until and AF-S Nano coat replacement comes along. I typically shoot cars @ f/9-11 but use it wide open for other stuff.
kelsonmassif
Easily my most favorite lens, one of the best bokeh producing lenses that Nikon has, mostly use it for portraits, great for weddings too smile.gif

shot wide open

Nike SB'd
If anybody wants to buy one I might be selling mine...
VisualEchos
QUOTE(Nike SB'd @ May 7 2010, 02:49 PM) *
I use it all the time, great chunk of glass. My main complaint is that the CA control really sucks compared to newer nikkors. I can't wait until and AF-S Nano coat replacement comes along. I typically shoot cars @ f/9-11 but use it wide open for other stuff.

Come now, CA is no problem for a high-level processor such as yourself. Hell, with LR, CA is a joke.

QUOTE(Nike SB'd @ May 28 2010, 02:03 PM) *
If anybody wants to buy one I might be selling mine...

Interesting, what you replacing it with?
Nike SB'd
QUOTE(VisualEchos @ Jun 12 2010, 08:10 AM) *
Come now, CA is no problem for a high-level processor such as yourself. Hell, with LR, CA is a joke.

Interesting, what you replacing it with?

I'd rather have a clean base image than one with manipulated fringing though. Again it's just nit picking but at some point every last detail begins to count. I don't plan on replacing it per say but I really want a 24-70 and can't afford it at the moment. I think for my work flow it would be a more useful lens, albeit less cool. The 85 1.4 is an AMAZING lens if you shoot people, I pretty much ONLY shoot cars though. If you or anyone you know is interested let me know, it's in MINT condition with the exception of a small nick in the lens hood - I take extremely good care of all my equipment and it's all stored in a weather sealed pelican case with zero moisture. The lens is only a few years old and has been seldom used.
VisualEchos
QUOTE(Nike SB'd @ Jun 22 2010, 04:43 PM) *
I'd rather have a clean base image than one with manipulated fringing though. Again it's just nit picking but at some point every last detail begins to count. I don't plan on replacing it per say but I really want a 24-70 and can't afford it at the moment. I think for my work flow it would be a more useful lens, albeit less cool. The 85 1.4 is an AMAZING lens if you shoot people, I pretty much ONLY shoot cars though. If you or anyone you know is interested let me know, it's in MINT condition with the exception of a small nick in the lens hood - I take extremely good care of all my equipment and it's all stored in a weather sealed pelican case with zero moisture. The lens is only a few years old and has been seldom used.

24-70? What an old-man's lens...lol J/K

Do you belong to nikoncafe? People pay top dollar there, they're all Nikon gear-heads.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2018 Invision Power Services, Inc.