Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Five Days Until ALMS
Dieselstation Car Forums > Parking Lot > Motorsport
Razor
I know this forum seem to only care about Formula 1, but for any of us who follow the American Le Mans Series... the season's about to start! So, any thoughts on the class changes or any other new rules for 2010?

Personally I can't wait to see how it works with just LMP and GT classes. Also, to be team-specific, I find it interesting that Highcroft Racing ditched their highly successful P1 car for the P2 version, which they've upgraded... I wonder if this means they'll run in P2 at Le Mans if they go this year.

Also, now it makes sense that Bad Boy 'Vettes is now running a GT2 car... which did well for a mid-season entrance last year, IIRC.

Can't wait, should be a great season! Thoughts?
Lancer007
I love watching ALMS! I don't follow it closely like I do F1 but I always watch it whenever it's at all possible.
moe
The thing about F1 is that it's really high-profile. That makes it easy to keep up with, and when you've been keeping up with a sport so long, you get used to the teams and players involved. If I started getting into ALMS, I fear I'd be rooting for the car with the prettiest paint-job. It's also easier to keep track of a form motor sport where all the cars are in the same class, rather than divided. I know I'm being lazy, and that there's some epic racing in ALMS, but I just can't be bothered. I think the only other forms of motor sport that I'd ever be interested in watching with are WRC (not enough teams, and competitive drivers to hold my interest right now), Indy (boring from what I've heard), and WTC (not sure why I don't actually).
dukenukem
I just want Corvettes to destroy the competition in GT2.
Razor
QUOTE(dukenukem @ Mar 14 2010, 09:11 PM) *
I just want Corvettes to destroy the competition in GT2.

This. It was SUCH a feel-good moment when that team won Le Mans last year. The interview with the team manager with him sobbing in happiness was sorta moving. I love that team. thumbs_up.gif

I can't wait to see if they include the European GT3 cars (R8 LMS, Z4 GT3) in the GT Challenge class. Also, that 1-make series (LMPC) should be a great spectacle.
Razor
ALMS: F1 Action without F1 Drama. tongue.gif
Dr. Strangelove
Is Ferrari running a 458 Italia this year?
Razor
QUOTE(Dr. Strangelove @ Mar 18 2010, 11:29 AM) *
Is Ferrari running a 458 Italia this year?

No, all the Ferraris currently entered for Sebring are F430 GTR's.
Dr. Strangelove
At the MP4-12 c launch:

Whitmarsh was speaking today at the launch of McLaren's MP4-12C sportscar, which he hopes can compete against Ferraris in the GT racing world. He has spoken to Ferrari boss Luca di Montezemolo about future competition between the two in sportscars.

"Our message there was: 'We want to race with you [Ferrari]. Where are you going to go? Why don't we go together?'"

Please, please let this pan out.
Razor
QUOTE(Dr. Strangelove @ Mar 18 2010, 10:09 PM) *
At the MP4-12 c launch:

Please, please let this pan out.

The day that the MP4-12C first runs in GT2, I'll fap until I die.
Dr. Strangelove
I kind of doubt it would be GT2. My big problem with ALMS is that while I am generally more interested in the GT classes, LMP always gets the limelight. I don't see Ferrari and McLaren doing factory backed teams just to play second fiddle to other cars. That said, where Ferrari and McLaren goes, you can bet Porsche and others would be interested too.

I would love to see Factory teams from Ferrari V. McLaren V. Porsche V. Chevrolet on the GT level though. Oh, God! I just nutted!
Razor
QUOTE(Dr. Strangelove @ Mar 19 2010, 02:32 AM) *
I kind of doubt it would be GT2. My big problem with ALMS is that while I am generally more interested in the GT classes, LMP always gets the limelight. I don't see Ferrari and McLaren doing factory backed teams just to play second fiddle to other cars. That said, where Ferrari and McLaren goes, you can bet Porsche and others would be interested too.

I would love to see Factory teams from Ferrari V. McLaren V. Porsche V. Chevrolet on the GT level though. Oh, God! I just nutted!

Porsche doesn't need a factory backed team. In fact, if they had one, I'd love to see it get stomped on by Flying Lizard. Those guys are fucking awesome.

Ferrari does have a factory backed team at the moment I believe... I'm fairly sure Risi Competizione is a factory team.

The Chevrolet recently jumped from GT1 to GT2 so I think Flying Lizard has their work cut out for them... it's going to be difficult for them to hold their title this season if Corvette Racing's GT1 history has anything to say about it.

About McLaren, now that you mention it, the old McLaren F1 GTR and LM models used to be in the GT1-equivalent class (I don't think they had GT1&2 then), but I'm sure they could do GT2, seeing as the F430 GTR is a GT2 car, and its replacement is a MP4-12C competitor.
moe
QUOTE(Dr. Strangelove @ Mar 19 2010, 10:32 AM) *

Here's a plan for a race-series that I honestly think would blow any enthusiasts minds.

Get together a set of big name drivers to race at GT level. Ferrari, Porsche, Corvette, and Aston Martin already have official cars. Throw in a a few more manufacturers with official backing, I'm thinking Alfa 8C, Lotus Evora, Maserati GT, Jaguar XK, Nissan GT-R, Lexus LFA, BMW (uhh whatever they want to use), Mercedes SLS, Dodge Viper, Audi R8, Lamborghini Gallardo, McLaren MP4-12C, Spyker...the grid would require a change of pants everytime they passed by.
Razor
QUOTE(moe @ Mar 19 2010, 12:53 PM) *
Here's a plan for a race-series that I honestly think would blow any enthusiasts minds.

Get together a set of big name drivers to race at GT level. Ferrari, Porsche, Corvette, and Aston Martin already have official cars. Throw in a a few more manufacturers with official backing, I'm thinking Alfa 8C, Lotus Evora, Maserati GT, Jaguar XK, Nissan GT-R, Lexus LFA, BMW (uhh whatever they want to use), Mercedes SLS, Dodge Viper, Audi R8, Lamborghini Gallardo, McLaren MP4-12C, Spyker...the grid would require a change of pants everytime they passed by.

That would also be a logistical nightmare until restrictions and rules were in place because everyone would bitch about other team's cars having too much this, not enough that, etc. And the making of those rules would be a painful and ridiculous process. Finally, the end result would be many manufacturers pulling out, leaving you with basically today's GT1, GT2 and GT3 classes.

That would be amazing if it worked, though.
Bjorn
QUOTE(moe @ Mar 19 2010, 11:53 AM) *

Isn't FIA GT like this now.

I think there are Porsches, Ferraris, Ford GTs, GTRs, XKRs . . . I think. I don't follow the series, so I can't be sure.

Personally, endurance racing lost me a long time ago. F1 is about all I have time for.
Razor
Wow, here we go...

Peugeot vs. Aston Martin in P1 with an expected pole position from the 908 HDi.

Highcroft Racing taking pole in P2 with the Acura ARX-01c.

GT2 is going to be INSANE. Flying Lizard took pole (according to them, unexpectedly). The fight between them and Corvette is going to be EPIC.

Just minutes to go before the start.
Razor
Holy shit... did anyone just see that pass done by the Lola-Judd against the Peugeot? Oh my god, that was awesome.

EDIT: Emanuele Pirro is driving the Drayson Racing Lola-Judd... go figure. tongue.gif
Marien
Is there a live stream somewhere?
Razor
QUOTE(Marien @ Mar 20 2010, 11:29 AM) *
Is there a live stream somewhere?

As always, GREAT commentary at http://radiolemans.com/

Streaming video to begin at 12:00 PM GMT-5 here: http://stream.speedtv.com/

Live timing at http://scoring.americanlemans.com/index_live2.php

Damn good race so far... enjoy!
BlackJack
I may have missed them, but where's the Audi team?
dukenukem
The web streaming doesnt seem to work. sad.gif
Razor
QUOTE(dukenukem @ Mar 20 2010, 07:57 PM) *
The web streaming doesnt seem to work. sad.gif

That's because online streaming was from 12PM to 2PM, and now it's back on Speed TV.

QUOTE(BlackJack @ Mar 20 2010, 07:45 PM) *

Putting the finishing touches on the new R15 Plus and preparing for Le Mans in June.
Razor
And there it is... whew. I'm prepping the write-up for my site but that was a pretty good race, though it doesn't have much on last year's nailbiting finish.
Dr. Strangelove
QUOTE(BlackJack @ Mar 20 2010, 04:45 PM) *

^Germany
Razor
QUOTE(Dr. Strangelove @ Mar 21 2010, 03:47 AM) *
^Germany

No, actually. tongue.gif They announced at the end of the race that Wolfgang Ulrich (Audi Team Joest boss) was spotted periodically around the track and in the stands. The R15 Plus, its crew, and its drivers were at the Homestead Miami Speedway doing high-speed testing on the oval. Now that the 12 Hours is over, they're bringing the R15 Plus to Sebring to see if they can beat Peugeot's lap times.
BlackJack
^Which they probably will biggrin.gif
Razor
QUOTE(BlackJack @ Mar 21 2010, 12:36 PM) *
^Which they probably will biggrin.gif

Damn I hope so.
dukenukem
What the fuck happened to the ZR1? sad.gif
moe
They collided?
Razor
QUOTE(dukenukem @ Mar 21 2010, 06:48 PM) *
What the fuck happened to the ZR1? sad.gif

QUOTE(moe @ Mar 21 2010, 07:21 PM) *
They collided?

Yeah. Probably one of the dumbest mistakes I've ever seen which is SO unlike that team. As one 'Vette was coming in for pitting, another was just finishing a stop, and a crew member, without first checking behind him, signaled a "GO" to the driver. He pulled out of the space as the other Corvette was trying to pit in the spot in front of him. This resulted in a 40+ MPH collision (front passenger side to driver door) that caused damage to both cars immediately and even more damage as the day went on.

Quite tragic, they were on the way to possibly winning, let alone an easy podium finish.

dukenukem
Wow. Thats fucking retarded. sad.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.