Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: VirtualRig Studio Software - check this out!
Dieselstation Car Forums > Multimedia > Photography > Technique & Tutorials
Nike SB'd
Hey guys this is taken from my blog To see the tutorial VIDEO and for more info on this software along with updates and behind the scenes tutorials make sure to follow my blog!

QUOTE(seanklingelhoefer.blogspot.com)
Somehow in the midst of the popularity of the Hakosuka Anti-Rig post I made a short while back I was approached by some software developers who have created a product specifically designed to tackle the task of turning a static background plate into a realistic motion blur. The software is called VirtualRig Studio and one look at their website shows how powerful it is. Over the course of the next few months I will be testing the software and lending my insight to the developers for future improvements and additions. Last night was the first time I used the software and I have to say the interface is extremely simple and pretty intuitive for such a powerful program. It allows you to create straight or curved blurs with varying speeds. I know what you're thinking, what about images where you have an object in the foreground (sign post, tree etc) that needs to be blurred at a different speed than the background? Well they thought of that too and the Pro version of the software allows you to blur transparencies, so you simply mask off the foreground object and blur it at one speed, then use the inverse of the mask to blur at a different speed and combine the two in Photoshop - it's ingenious. Stay tuned for some behind-the-scenes screen shots as well as tutorials and finished images in the future. For now here's the tutorial video from their site along with a few finished examples.

Be sure to checkout VirtualRig Studio for more information and purchasing options!

Image by Conrad Piepenburg

Image by Chris Myhill

Image credit to Mazda
The Unibomber
I was just playing with the demo and DAMN this is cool. How do you deal with the wheels though?
Nike SB'd
QUOTE(The Unibomber @ Mar 11 2010, 02:33 PM) *
I was just playing with the demo and DAMN this is cool. How do you deal with the wheels though?

I jack the car up and spin them. Much of the target audience will be using CGI cars and thus the wheels are the last of their concern since everything is rendered digitally.
The Unibomber
QUOTE(Nike SB'd @ Mar 11 2010, 04:38 PM) *
I jack the car up and spin them. Much of the target audience will be using CGI cars and thus the wheels are the last of their concern since everything is rendered digitally.

ah figured out quotes. That makes sense though.I just finished watching the tutorial...the curve line tool looks like it makes life much easier. Really great looking program but is there even going to be car photography one day?
Nike SB'd
QUOTE(The Unibomber @ Mar 11 2010, 02:41 PM) *
ah figured out quotes. That makes sense though.I just finished watching the tutorial...the curve line tool looks like it makes life much easier. Really great looking program but is there even going to be car photography one day?

As good as rendering engines are they still need actual images to base their calculations off of for example a background plate and reflections plates (unless you want to talk super super big dollar stuff like Avatar). There will always be a need for Car photography though it is getting tougher and tougher.
Tony Yeung
I think the software is pretty cool but expensive!
mackey
holy cow, $3800 for the pro version...

good software tho.
Nike SB'd
QUOTE(mackey @ Mar 11 2010, 05:37 PM) *
holy cow, $3800 for the pro version...

good software tho.

Yup it's definitely not cheap but for a working pro it's quickly justified. Renting a move-n-shoot four times will cost more than what it does to own the software and those are really your only choices for doing long telephoto rig shots and super high angles.
Seethegrim
Lets see what happens when CS5 brings vector blurring to the table... I hope.
I can't afford $3800.
n1smo
Awesome software, but 4k for the pro version, come on...

And the light version doesnt even support curves?
Nate047
gotta pay to play! thumbs_up.gif
bryutas
QUOTE(Seethegrim @ Mar 12 2010, 02:40 AM) *
Lets see what happens when CS5 brings vector blurring to the table... I hope.
I can't afford $3800.

Word. I'm mos def gonna splurge on CS5 if it incorporates something very similar to this vector blur stuff.

Someone email the powers that be at Adobe. ph34r.gif
mcdronkz
This software looks awesome to me! I'm not a professional, so I can't afford to spent such an amount of money. Isn't there another way to get this kind of results, with software like Photoshop? The 'curve motion' is awesome.
Seethegrim
QUOTE(bryutas @ Mar 17 2010, 08:57 AM) *
Word. I'm mos def gonna splurge on CS5 if it incorporates something very similar to this vector blur stuff.

Someone email the powers that be at Adobe. ph34r.gif

I did read somewhere that it might be a possibility that PS5 incorporates vector blurring. Then these guys had better think quickly about dropping their prices or they'll not make a single sale thereafter.
Playing around with their demo software is great though. Still a lot of PS work, but pretty dam impressive.
bryutas
Soooo...anyone splurge yet? Sorry to bump this up, but least for the CS4 owners, it's only a $140 upgrade.

But as for vector blurring...After Effects CS5 seems to have some form of it.
http://help.adobe.com/en_US/AfterEffects/C...c597-7bf0a.html
It's about one mousewheel flick downwards under "Blur and Sharpen effects". I hope CS5 has it...but now I need to get me a faster computer...ugh, it never ends...sad.gif
Mr.D
QUOTE(bryutas @ Apr 12 2010, 09:35 AM) *
But as for vector blurring...After Effects CS5 seems to have some form of it.

Pretty sure that cc vector blurring has no use for this type of editing in stills.
bryutas
how embarassing...i didn't realize it was a video thing. loser.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2018 Invision Power Services, Inc.