Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: DSCOTY 2010: Pick-Ups
Dieselstation Car Forums > Parking Lot > Compare & Contrast
moe
For more on the DieselStation Car of the Year 2010 competition, please see this thread.

Ford F-150 Raptor
Base MSRP:
$38,995
Available Engines: 5.4 liter V8 with 310 HP with 365 ft.-lbs of torque
Available Transmissions: 6-speed automatic
Available Drivetrains: Four wheel drive
EPA Fuel Economy: 14 City/18 Highway
Curb Weight: 5863 lbs.

Ram Heavy Duty (including Power Wagon)
Base MSRP:
$28,165
Available Engines: 5.7 liter V8 with 383 HP with 400 ft.-lbs of torque, 6.7 liter Cummins turbo diesel inline-6 with 350 HP and 650 ft.-lbs of torque
Available Transmissions: 5-speed automatic (V8), 6-speed manual (I-6), 6-speed automatic (I-6)
Available Drivetrains: Rear wheel drive, four wheel drive
EPA Fuel Economy: 15 City/22 Highway
Curb Weight: 5492-7920 lbs.

Toyota Tundra
Base MSRP:
$23,455
Available Engines: 4.0 liter V6 with 236 HP and 266 ft.-lbs of torque, 4.6 liter V8 with 310 HP and 327 ft.-lbs of torque, 5.7 liter V8 with 381 HP and 401 ft.-lbs of torque
Available Transmissions: 5-speed automatic, 6-speed automatic
Available Drivetrains: Rear wheel drive, four wheel drive
EPA Fuel Economy: 14-15 City/18-20 Highway
Curb Weight: 4580-5645 lbs.

clarkma5
Love the Raptor, though you've neglected to take notice of the optional 6.2 liter V8 (I think it's a slightly later intro but it should still be 2010).
Razor
If anyone votes for not the Raptor, let them be hanged!
moe
QUOTE(Razor @ Mar 10 2010, 06:02 PM) *
If anyone votes for not the Raptor, let them be hanged!

Might want to read this before you make stupid, uninformed statements like that. The Power Wagon and Raptor are equally badass.

Then again, I'm not much of an off-road racer or enthusiast, and as badass as those two trucks are, they're both quite excessive. The Tundra Work Truck is all the truck most people will ever need.

Not sure at all what to vote for, they all have their strengths.
moe
QUOTE(clarkma5 @ Mar 10 2010, 06:01 PM) *
Love the Raptor, though you've neglected to take notice of the optional 6.2 liter V8 (I think it's a slightly later intro but it should still be 2010).

Ford's site says Winter 2010. That's later than the SLS, Sienna, and a few other cars I excluded on the basis of being 2011 models. Besides has anyone driven the 6.2 yet?
Razor
QUOTE(moe @ Mar 10 2010, 10:31 AM) *
Might want to read this before you make stupid, uninformed statements like that. The Power Wagon and Raptor are equally badass.

Then again, I'm not much of an off-road racer or enthusiast, and as badass as those two trucks are, they're both quite excessive. The Tundra Work Truck is all the truck most people will ever need.

Not sure at all what to vote for, they all have their strengths.

Fine, maybe not hanging, but surely the finger pillory.

I'd still take the Raptor as it's much lighter and, from everything I've seen, handles better.
Synesthesia
QUOTE(Razor @ Mar 10 2010, 11:01 AM) *
I'd still take the Raptor as it's much lighter

Actually, it's not, according to Moe's numbers anyway. And it doesn't have very much power compared to the others' big V8s.
moe
My number's are for the entire Ram HD range, not just the Power Wagon. I believe the lowest possible weight is for a single cab, 2WD model. The Power Wagon is 4WD and has a dual cab, along with it's additional off-road hardware, I'm guessing the Power Wagon is pretty heavy.
Synesthesia
According to Toyota a Tundra Regular Cab 4x2 5.7L weighs 4805. A Tundra Double Cab 4x4 5.7L weighs 5460. I'll take one of the latter... even w/ double cab and 4WD, it's cheaper, lighter, and more powerful than the Raptor. If I'm going more for off-road ability, I'll take a V6 Tacoma, which weighs waaay less. But what do I know, I grew up on Toyota trucks. wink.gif
Razor
QUOTE(Synesthesia @ Mar 10 2010, 11:15 AM) *
Actually, it's not, according to Moe's numbers anyway. And it doesn't have very much power compared to the others' big V8s.

QUOTE(moe @ Mar 10 2010, 11:24 AM) *
My number's are for the entire Ram HD range, not just the Power Wagon. I believe the lowest possible weight is for a single cab, 2WD model. The Power Wagon is 4WD and has a dual cab, along with it's additional off-road hardware, I'm guessing the Power Wagon is pretty heavy.

5800 lbs. vs. 6500 lbs. for each performance model, Raptor first.
BlackJack
The Raptor wins this category.

/endthread.
fiber optic
This was an easy choice for me.
Mr b00st
Raptor, obviously. Although I do like how they've smoothed out the duallie flares on the Ram HD - looks badass. My dad has an '08 Ram 3500 with that Cummins 6.7, and that engine is absolutely epic. Of course, so is the Tundra's 5.7L 32v V8 - but I'm not hot to trot on the Tundra frame issues or the general "it's going to kill you" vibe going on with Toyota now.

Mainly it's the Raptor's suspension that does it for me. I mean, Fox triple bypass racing shocks? All-aluminum control arms? A gazillion feet of travel? Sex.
Razor
I'm calling this wins Truck of the Year.
moe
I ended up voting for the Ram. The Heavy Duty line is pretty awesome on a whole, and the Power Wagon is a formidable truck off-road. If I were buying a pick-up it would probably be a Ram anyway, so there you go.

The Raptor is epically badass, but too much of a niche product, and the Power Wagon is very nearly just as badass as well.
SwissWhiskey
I used to be a big Ram fan until the current generation arrived. Looks like shit. Raptor is the most badass looking pickup there is.

Saw my first Raptor yesterday, looked badass in black in the snow. Though i'd never see one in Switzerland.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.