Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Zee or Zed?
Dieselstation Car Forums > Parking Lot > Compare & Contrast
Bjorn
A lot of cars have "z"s in the name.

As a Canadian, it seems natural for me to call these cars "Zed" instead of "Zee," like "BMW zed four." When I listen to Americans talk about these cars though, it sounds so strange to hear them called "Zee." So I was wondering, from an objective viewpoint, what do you think sounds better?
clarkma5
Zed sounds too clunky to me and it calls too much attention to the letter (probably due to not being used to hearing it as an american), but for some reason I like it for the Nissan cars more than the Zee...which just seems to leave me hanging at the end of the phrase, as opposed to the Z4 and Z06, where having the letter at the beginning of the model name seems to work better with the smoother "zee".
dukenukem
Growing up in India I am used to saying Zed. However, living in US i have also started saying Zee. During conversation i switch between the 2 at random.
MustangAficionado
Seems like the voting agrees.
Zed oh four

370 Zee

Zee oh six

I always say zee, but the questions was about sound.
fiber optic
I say "ZEE" so ZED sounds funny.
Aircooled
I never heard the Zed term until I heard it on Top Gear. Since then I've taken a liking to the sound Zed Four, but the others sound better as Zee.
Synesthesia
Whoa, use of the multiple questions feature. I speak American, the letter is pronounced zee, thus zee in all cases.
infinity
Zee x 3
OHirtenfelder
Zed. Full Stop. No Zee. Ever
moe
Only tools say Zed.
Vadvagool
Zed 4

350 Zee

Zee 06
Razor
QUOTE(Vadvagool @ Mar 8 2010, 04:26 AM) *
Zed 4

350 Zee

Zee 06

EXACTLY the same here.
Bjorn
QUOTE(moe @ Mar 8 2010, 03:08 AM) *
Only tools say Zed.

Wow, Moe, I would have assumed, with Indian and Pakistani parents, you would speak the Queen's English.

In the middle east is American English the standard?
moe
Heh, we should Skype sometime, I have a completely American accent. My dad's been working for Saudi Aramco for the last 30-something years, which means I've been sent to American schools, and my parents' house has always been in neighborhoods completely dominated by Americans and Canadians. All of my closest friends growing up were American, and most of them still are. I also lived in Austin, TX for some time. So yeah, the Queen's English was never going to happen for me or my sister.

There is no real standard here. Because of the large number of foreigners (expats) living in the ME, there are a variety of schooling systems available. I ended up at American schools because my parents' preferred the American system, and also because my dad's company paid for my sister and I to go to them (they are ridiculously expensive otherwise).
dukenukem
QUOTE(moe @ Mar 8 2010, 09:59 AM) *
Heh, we should Skype sometime, I have a completely American accent. My dad's been working for Saudi Aramco for the last 30-something years, which means I've been sent to American schools, and my parents' house has always been in neighborhoods completely dominated by Americans and Canadians. All of my closest friends growing up were American, and most of them still are. I also lived in Austin, TX for some time. So yeah, the Queen's English was never going to happen for me or my sister.

There is no real standard here. Because of the large number of foreigners (expats) living in the ME, there are a variety of schooling systems available. I ended up at American schools because my parents' preferred the American system, and also because my dad's company paid for my sister and I to go to them (they are ridiculously expensive otherwise).

We should bring back teamspeak. Last time it was Dylan, Cyclone, Easton and I. Fun times.
fiber optic
QUOTE(dukenukem @ Mar 8 2010, 11:51 AM) *
We should bring back teamspeak. Last time it was Dylan, Cyclone, Easton and I. Fun times.

I remember being drunk as hell on there once.
OHirtenfelder
Only tools say Zed

Only tools destroy the english language.
dukenukem
QUOTE(OHirtenfelder @ Mar 9 2010, 12:27 AM) *

moe
QUOTE(OHirtenfelder @ Mar 9 2010, 10:27 AM) *

I wanted to say something clever or witty here, but I'm just going to ahead and admit. The South African accent is the coolest accent of all. So you win, this time...
BlackJack
Back OT: Everytime I hear "Zed" im like wait what? And I'm hard of hearing and that turns my head.
OHirtenfelder
Duke, those dudes (especially Sharlto Copley) speak in a HEAVY Afrikaans accent, which IMO destorys English even more that the yanks have destroyed it. And that is a video of all the 'fucks' in a movie, that happens to be South African. If someone made a similar video of most American action movies, that video would not be 1.35 long, it would be 10 minutes long.
dukenukem
QUOTE(OHirtenfelder @ Mar 10 2010, 01:30 AM) *
Duke, those dudes (especially Sharlto Copley) speak in a HEAVY Afrikaans accent, which IMO destorys English even more that the yanks have destroyed it. And that is a video of all the 'fucks' in a movie, that happens to be South African. If someone made a similar video of most American action movies, that video would not be 1.35 long, it would be 10 minutes long.

Calm down dude. Take a joke for what it is. smile.gif
OHirtenfelder
Mayhaps I should have put one of these > biggrin.gif < here.
I know it was a joke, and a pretty good one at that. That video is awesome laugh.gif
Easton
I've always said Zed for all of them - never heard anyone say it otherwise.
Bjorn
I started downloading Adam Carolla's CarCast (Imagine Car Talk but instead of people calling in for car advice they pretty much ask Adam to bitch about hybrids) and that's where I first heard it regularly, since he's a big fan of Datsuns and BMWs.
stuffthatsgood
I ran a poll like this in my circle of friends. Zed won, as it should. It sounds more bad ass. Plus there's no confusion, b, c, d, e, g, p, t and v all sound like zee... No other letter sounds like zed.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.