Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: WRC coverage at an all time low
Dieselstation Car Forums > Parking Lot > Motorsport
RallyCat909
After watching the available EuroSport coverage, I have to say is was some of the worst compilation of a shit pile I have ever seen. Far too much onboard footage (this comg from a rally diehard), per usual it was a four car show, I mean WRC rallies have at least 20 competitors, yes? And the commentary....man, I seriously think it was done from a mobile phone. Even if Bob Clearmountain did the voiceover recording, it had no info on the stages, history of the rally, bio on the driver....just general shit.

I miss the days of 2001 with Jeremy Hart and the catchy title music. That was WRC.
Bjorn
Are you sure you're not watching the MotorsTV coverage.

I downloaded the Eurosport coverage from OneHD in Australia, and it's the same as always.

The MotorsTV coverage though is shit. the commentator sounds like he's pausing to look at names and doesn't talk for minutes on end at times, all the footage is in car, there is way too little onscreen info, and half the time they don't announce what stage they are on. Or what the split times are.

I'm hoping it gets better, and am optimistic, since the problems have been acknowledged by MotorsTV on their board, but for now I'm looking for the Eurosport coverage.

On the plus side, in the middle of day 2 Motors TV did a pretty in depth thing with Petter Solberg, which is what I personally want from a longer episode, not more in car.
RallyCat909
Ack you are right man. In any case the sport is in dire straights. I dont see it making it to 2015.
MustangAficionado
Are there any places to get current Eurosport coverage w/out using torrents?
clarkma5
Are there places to get current eurosport coverage WITH torrents? All I'm finding is MotorsTV...
RallyCat909
I sent MotorsTV this email and posted on their forum:

I only joined this forum because of the horrible coverage I saw. I have been watching WRC since about 2000 when the coverage became available on the internet because as a US rally fan, its what you had to do. It's essentially still what I have to do. If the coverage was available through the proper channels, then I would gladly be a part of that. But media in the 21st century still tries to hold onto, (or is fumbling around trying to figure it out perhaps), with 20th century business models. What a shame. All that suffers is the culture that you aspired to make your income from as they are left confused and misinformed, or just uninformed at the end of the day. So gossip ensues on message board forums, and no one has any better idea of what the big picture is.

Do yourself a favor and fork out whatever money you have to spend on

A) A knowledgble camera crew and photography director

It is always important for the viewer to want to be a part of the images onscreen when watching a sporting event. It instills the passion and comraderie that makes any sport a success. If they want to be there, surely thy will watch again and again. Additionally rallysport is probably among the most photogenic sporting events on the planet. A simple combination of the sensiblities of John Frankenheimer and Ansel Adams would make the footage a sheer joy to witness.

cool.gif A good footage editor

No great movie has ever gotten that way without someone to assemble the footage in the cutting room at the end of the day. Every great director from Steven Spielberg to John Huston knew it was a good idea to make the editor your best friend. Since we are talking about a visual medium here, the principles remain the same. If you have the best shots from a stage, the most dynamic footage of a jump, crash, crowd reaction, etc, no of it will matter of the timing of each of those moments is not gracefully assembled into a story that the viewing audience can identify with, want to be a part or, or be pulled into.

C) A commentator

Without a voice to interpret what is onscreen in a clear, concise, well informed commentary, the viewing audience will be not likely to return to what they are watching whether the material is downloaded, streamed, or aired. More importantly, the commentator is looked upon as the icon to which the fan refers to other would-be fans for interpretation, news, insight, etc. They should be as identifiable not only to the viewing audience, but perhaps even moreso to the drivers, crews, team principals etc.

F1 had Murray Walker, American baseball had Ernie Harwell, boxing had Reg Gutteridge. At one point the WRC had Mark James and Jeremy Hart. Where are they now? They had an obvious passion for the sport, it has been rather lacking in the past 5 years or more.

The WRC is an opportunity. It's like no other sport on the planet. From rally to rally you have the opportunity to immerse your audience in the local culture where each rally takes place. You have some of the most robust street legal machinery on public roads blasting around the world in the most diverse conditions any sport has to offer. You have multiple cultures working together to make a massive event possible, and in this very troubled world, that should be capitalized on.

What was the line from a James Bond movie? ".....and 007......try not to muck it up again."
clarkma5
Rallycat: MotorsTV is only re-editing ISC's raw footage and putting its own commentary on it, nothing more than that, so they don't need to invest in any camera crews or photography directors except if they want to insert their own segments into the coverage.

Really they just need to get their editing down and get a better commentator.

I switched from MotorsTV to the official ISC coverage midway through the Mexico rally and I really wish I could combine the two approaches they take...namely, MotorsTV's longer running time and increased onboards with ISC's better timing, commentary, and S-WRC coverage. Also, MotorsTV wastes a lot less time recapping the previous day than ISC does which is nice.

For me, my ideal day of WRC coverage looks like this:

-Hour long (minus commercials)
-For day 1, a 5 minute maximum event preview/previous event review, for days 2 and 3, a 3-minute maximum recap of the previous day
-Stage by stage coverage, beginning with a stage description and map and going driver by driver up the running order through the points scoring places (not every driver is going to get a lot of coverage in every stage, but at least a passing mention, and so long as they aren't neglected for the entire rally). Timing updates for the points scoring places after every stage.
-Two S-WRC recaps...one for the morning, one for the afternoon, between the pentultimate and final phase of the day (to keep the chronology mostly intact but not to let the S-WRC steal the WRC's climax after each section), probably lasting a couple minutes apiece.

Do that with a good commentator and a good mix of camera angles (and yes, I think some more onboards like MotorsTV does...probably not quite that much, but more than ISC does) and you'd have a winner. Maybe even throw in a technical feature or feature interview in the middle of the days with fewer kilometers or when there's less action too.

Really, it's just frustrating because they're pretty close to having good coverage yet so far...
tune
Eurosport aren't showing any coverage in the UK - I haven't seen Mexico yet, but my Dad tells me there was some coverage on Motors with last years commentator, not sure of his name.

I have recorded coverage from Dave (I think this is a UK only channel), so I'll let you know how that pans out - although it was in 2 parts for 3 days, so I'm not holding out much hope, especially if Neil Cole is involved still - he is a prize nobend.
Bjorn
Hey Clark. Does ISC = Eurosport? If not, can, would you mind telling me where to find it?
clarkma5
ISC produces it and eurosport airs it, so they are effectively synonymous (though OneHD also airs it, so I called it ISC to avoid confusion). MotorsTV produces and airs their own program using ISC's raw footage.
RallyCat909
Clarkster, I was quite stoned and posting, so that is basically drivel. Disregard.
tune
I finally got around to watching the Mexico rally. The Dave coverage was okay - the regular commentator is on there, however it's only 2 shows over the weekend at 30 minutes each, so you feel like it's all very rushed. The thing is it doesn't need to be. I don't need the road-sweeping duty explained to me at every rally, or how people will cheer at this jump point, or in-depth analysis of Ken Block's crash on the first day. Cut that out and give me the highlights of the actual event.

On the whole that's not a great review and I haven't even mentioned Neil Cole or his stupid new hairstyle yet.
Synesthesia
I've been watching the coverage aired on One HD. It's not bad, it's the same guy as from the past few years on Eurosport, no idea what his name is. There is a different fellow for S-WRC coverage, who is extremely dry, and the coverage is so minimal I don't think they should even bother with it. I'm not so concerned with the quality of the coverage, more the quality of the racing... I don't know, Mexico was actually quite good imo, the Solberg vs. Ogier fight was fun, glad to see Solberg with tears of joy. It was great to see an American racing, even if Block is pretty annoying. I guess I'm just kind of tired of the never ending Seb vs. Mikko fight, with Mikko doing poorly every time his confidence is down and blaming road conditions--okay maybe that's a bit harsh, but still.
RallyCat909
See, the fucking morons need to push the stories all through the top 20. The guy 3 seconds down behind the guy in 17 is pushing just as hard as the top 5. Seb and Mikko have nothing to lose, they could drive their car off the cliff for kicks once or twice in the year and their jobs are still guaranteed, who cares? Its the guys that sold a business, or a house to rally for the season that I wanna see. They love rallying so much they are willing to give up everything for it.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.