Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: All Time DSCOTY Winners
Dieselstation Car Forums > Parking Lot > Compare & Contrast
Dr. Strangelove
I am really not in the mood to work today so I decided to tally up the DSCOTY votes and see how we have been voting for the past few years. Porsche takes the lead going into our new DSCOTY, with 10 awards. What is not surprising is our VAG love. Audi and VW combined pull in 15.

Surprises? The top four brands are all German. Ferrari pulled in zero DSCOTYs, while Smart nailed one and Suzuki got two. Check out the list below, they may be off by a count or two, I'm not counting it again, but someone else is welcome to. Correct me if I'm off and I'll fix the count.

Porsche: 10
Audi: 9
BMW: 7
Volkswagen: 6
Ford: 5
Honda: 4
Subaru: 4
Bugatti: 4
Chevrolet: 4
Infiniti: 3
Land Rover: 3
Toyota: 3
Nissan: 2
Pontiac: 2
Lamborghini: 2
Mazda: 2
Suzuki: 2
Jaguar: 2
Koenigsegg: 1
Hyundai: 2
Maserati: 1
Cadillac: 1
Rolls Royce: 1
Bentley: 1
Aston Martin: 1
Saab: 1
Smart: 1
Jeep: 1

I think what we can take away from this is that we have a pretty high standard for supercar manufacturers... unless they're from Germany.
DB9
you have Jeep on there twice. And 3 toyota's? Thats a little surprising...
UserDrew
2008: SUVs: Toyota Land Cruiser and the highlander got an honorable mention for some reason. It didn't win a DSCOTY.
2007: Family Cars: Toyota Camry

Yeah, I was shocked to see the camry win 2007. I voted several times to prevent it. tongue_crossed-eyes.gif
moe
Strangelove you should be running DSCOTY if you have that much free time haha.
Dr. Strangelove
Yeah, I included honorable mentions.
I fixed the Jeep thing.
And Moe, Ha ha no thanks. I'm good.

I'll have to update it when 2010 is up.
moe
Bumped for Strangelove.
Aircooled
I did some excel work, making myself think I was doing homework.

Seems that the Germans build kick ass cars pretty consistantly, English cars are pretty hit or miss, and the Americans have been coming along nicely these past few years.
clarkma5
Japan had a year of fail in 2010.
fiber optic
QUOTE(clarkma5 @ Apr 20 2010, 08:45 PM) *

USA is looking to have a stellar 2011.
Razor
QUOTE(clarkma5 @ Apr 20 2010, 09:45 PM) *

If only they could have had that unintended deacceleration when it mattered! tongue.gif
MustangAficionado
Not that they aren't great, but how does Porsche have 11? They make like 3 actually different cars.
Razor
QUOTE(MustangAficionado @ Apr 21 2010, 08:58 PM) *
Not that they aren't great, but how does Porsche have 11? They make like 3 actually different cars.

Until they make the 918 Spyder, boring, boring, boring, with the exception of this year's overall winner.
Synesthesia
^Dude, you drive a freaking Golf. How can you call a 911 or a Cayman or a Panamera or any other vehicle ever made by Porsche "boring"?
MustangAficionado
I'm not saying Porsche is boring or not, but it's suprising considering they have like 3 platforms and a SUV.
Razor
QUOTE(Synesthesia @ Apr 21 2010, 09:55 PM) *
^Dude, you drive a freaking Golf. How can you call a 911 or a Cayman or a Panamera or any other vehicle ever made by Porsche "boring"?

Because they've been making the same thing for 40 years, and frankly it's boring.
clarkma5
Drive a 911 and see how bored you are...man you are such a whiner.
moe
QUOTE(Razor @ Apr 22 2010, 06:25 AM) *
Because they've been making the same thing for 40 years, and frankly it's boring.

That's funny from someone who drives a Golf.
Razor
QUOTE(Synesthesia @ Apr 21 2010, 09:55 PM) *

QUOTE(moe @ Apr 22 2010, 04:53 AM) *
That's funny from someone who drives a Golf.

LULZ MAN, WHO DO U THINK U R? PORSCHE?
dukenukem
40 years of great car is better than a fat golf with a automatic.
Razor
It didn't take Nissan 40 years to design something better.
moe
The GT-R is the culmination of Skyline GT-Rs through the years, same as the current 911. Same as most great sports cars.
Razor
QUOTE(moe @ Apr 22 2010, 10:56 AM) *
The GT-R is the culmination of Skyline GT-Rs through the years, same as the current 911. Same as most great sports cars.

The 911s always seem to pull certain carry-over parts or technologies from the previous generation(s). I'm pretty damn sure the R35 GT-R was a ground-up effort, unlike the R32, R33 and R34 GT-Rs, which were characterized by little upgrades with each generation.

EDIT: Well, everything except the tag "R35."
dukenukem
QUOTE(Razor @ Apr 22 2010, 10:07 AM) *
The 911s always seem to pull certain carry-over parts or technologies from the previous generation(s). I'm pretty damn sure the R35 GT-R was a ground-up effort, unlike the R32, R33 and R34 GT-Rs, which were characterized by little upgrades with each generation.

EDIT: Well, everything except the tag "R35."

A simple mind is simple.
clarkma5
Remember, it doesn't matter how good the end result is, only how impressive-sounding your methods are to the layman. With this simple fact of life from Razor, you can judge anything and be assured you are correct!
Razor
QUOTE(clarkma5 @ Apr 22 2010, 11:42 AM) *
Remember, it doesn't matter how good the end result is, only how impressive-sounding your methods are to the layman. With this simple fact of life from Razor, you can judge anything and be assured you are correct!

I don't understand how you can dispute fact.
clarkma5
I won't argue that the GT-R is far more "designed from scratch" than the 911, but the point that you continue to fail to understand is that just because it's all-new (or closer to it) than something else doesn't make it inherently better...just newer. You continue to assume this relationship between newness and goodness that really has no basis in reality and that's why you're a simpleton.
Razor
QUOTE(clarkma5 @ Apr 22 2010, 06:40 PM) *
I won't argue that the GT-R is far more "designed from scratch" than the 911, but the point that you continue to fail to understand is that just because it's all-new (or closer to it) than something else doesn't make it inherently better...just newer. You continue to assume this relationship between newness and goodness that really has no basis in reality and that's why you're a simpleton.

Not seriously in a completely general fashion. Sure I'm a proponent of the increase in automotive technology (to a point), but to argue that this is not the theoretical best* GT-R that Nissan's ever built is questionable.

* Pretty much checks all the boxes on paper, but I suppose there will always be a degree of personal preference to it (I know you all loathe the twin-clutch sequential in that thing). I mean, it's faster, handles better, has a nicer interior, is better built (save the gearbox initially but that's a whole other story), and is more feature-filled than any of the previous cars, yet I am aware that any if not all or not of these things can be a turn-off (for some reason) to somebody.

Anyway, that's not what this discussion was even really about. I know Porsches are great cars... I just mean I find their lack of something fresh and new with each passing generation to be boring. The 911 hasn't drastically changed that much in the past 10 years and has barely changed at all in the past 5. Every time there's a new "20xx 911 GT2" thread in the Car Garage, I always have deja vu. Nissan, on the other hand, took what was once a very good sportscar and turned it into a techgasm of a supercar... THAT is the drastic change I like to see, although the keyword there is "I." Again, I know not everyone feels that way at all.

Of course, there's always that old saying, "if it ain't broke, don't fix it." I suppose it clearly works for Porsche but I'm glad they've decided to consider making something like the 918 Spyder.
clarkma5
You may be surprised, but Porsche actually makes cars to be driven, not to "look good on paper" and to make teenagers on car forums excited. Every evolution of the 911 makes a better performing vehicle. I get your point, I still find it stupid to judge a car for how much it tweaks your nipples from some internet press release instead of what it does for a driver from behind the wheel. That should always be the ultimate measure of a car's worth.
MustangAficionado
QUOTE(clarkma5 @ Apr 22 2010, 08:21 PM) *
You may be surprised, but Porsche actually makes cars to be driven, not to "look good on paper" and to make teenagers on car forums excited. Every evolution of the 911 makes a better performing vehicle. I get your point, I still find it stupid to judge a car for how much it tweaks your nipples from some internet press release instead of what it does for a driver from behind the wheel. That should always be the ultimate measure of a car's worth.

Well I havent driven either of them. Am I not allowed a preference or opinion?
clarkma5
You are not! You can have mine, though tongue.gif
moe
Technology is for my cell phones and my computer, leave it out of my cars. Thanks.
Razor
QUOTE(moe @ Apr 23 2010, 11:16 AM) *
Technology is for my cell phones and my computer, leave it out of my cars. Thanks.

clarkma5

Razor fail.
fiber optic
QUOTE(clarkma5 @ Apr 23 2010, 11:48 AM) *
Razor fail.

I'd still pick the Model T over a lot of cars though.
dukenukem
Razor's ideal ride

So high tech you don't even have to drive it!
moe
^ Dude, that's so Windows 95. It's all about these now...
MustangAficionado
QUOTE(clarkma5 @ Apr 23 2010, 09:48 AM) *

Razor fail.

"tis true, double A arm suspension is like 75 years old.
moe
^ That kind of technology doesn't impress Razor. Advanced traction control systems, flappy-paddle gearshifts, and little screens designed by the guys that do Gran Turismo is where it's at.
Aircooled
Dude Atoms don't even have power steering. Epic lolz
Razor
QUOTE(moe @ Apr 23 2010, 06:23 PM) *
^ That kind of technology doesn't impress Razor. Advanced traction control systems, flappy-paddle gearshifts, and little screens designed by the guys that do Gran Turismo is where it's at.

Mhm! smile.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.