Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Lexus LFA
Dieselstation Car Forums > Multimedia > Car Sightings
ZondaC12
Saw that one saturday in Monaco. Definitly not the most beautiful car I've seen, but I think it might be one of the first ones in the streets?

I stalked it for a few minutes, great sound smile.gif

moe
Wow, you actually saw one in the wild?! That's something I'm not expecting to see anytime soon...even here.
Synesthesia
Sweet! I love how it looks from the side.
duality
Sexyy.

Moncao - explains tongue.gif
ZondaC12
Am I the only one not liking it?? laugh.gif

It was a great moment driving behind though, especially when that Diablo SV came across rishi.gif Geez I should go to Monaco more often...
Razor
QUOTE(ZondaC12 @ Mar 1 2010, 02:21 PM) *
Am I the only one not liking it?? laugh.gif

It was a great moment driving behind though, especially when that Diablo SV came across rishi.gif Geez I should go to Monaco more often...

No, I hate that thing too.
DB9
QUOTE(Razor @ Mar 1 2010, 10:06 PM) *
No, I hate that thing too.

I think you just hate lexus in general tongue.gif

I like it just because it isn't another luxury/hybrid/generic addition to their lineup.
Bjorn
I used ot be a hater, so I kinda know where these people are coming from (The C6 Z06 and Ford GT broke me of my awful prejudiced ways) . . . but come on. If this thing wore an infinity badge people would be jerking off onto pictures of it. The LF-A is a pretty amazing car first and a Lexus second.
Aircooled

thumbs_up.gif Looks Good thumbs_up.gif

thumbs_down.gif A face only a mother could love.
Razor
QUOTE(Aircooled @ Mar 7 2010, 10:01 PM) *
thumbs_down.gif A face only a mother could love.

Except they don't, because it was designed only to turn a profit.
clarkma5
...what? There are far far easier ways to turn a profit than produce a sharp-to-drive, bespoke, low-volume supercar that received seven years of testing and development including several endurance racing outings. They built what they wanted to build the way they wanted to build it and then they priced it from there, I'm sure...quit being so boneheadedly knee-jerk anti-Lexus.
Razor
QUOTE(clarkma5 @ Mar 7 2010, 10:46 PM) *
...what? There are far far easier ways to turn a profit than produce a sharp-to-drive, bespoke, low-volume supercar that received seven years of testing and development including several endurance racing outings. They built what they wanted to build the way they wanted to build it and then they priced it from there, I'm sure...quit being so boneheadedly knee-jerk anti-Lexus.

I know I'm being ridiculous, but I can't get past the idea that Toyota/Lexus/Scion just tries to enter market segments for the sake of entering market segments. That's what the IS-F always screamed to me. It just seems SO bland and uninspired compared to everything else in the segment, like they did a rush-job simply to pull some sales in the midsize performance sedan department, and cut a lot of corners along the way.

And I guess the LF-A isn't quite as bad, as it's actually quite an amazing car (on paper, at least), but I still picture the board at Toyota sitting down and saying "We don't have a supercar. Everyone else does, but we don't. That market is still open."
moe
^ The LFA may be the only genuine exception to that rule. I feel they made it because the engineers were passionate about the project, otherwise they would've pulled the plug like Honda did with the NSX-successor. The car also makes NO sense. Especially in financial terms, which doesn't figure for a Toyota product. The one thing it does do...at least for me, is give the impression that Lexus has arrived. They are no longer the poor-man's Mercedes, or the rich-man's Toyota (though that would be helped along if Lexus stopped selling rebadged Toyotas like the GX, LX, ES, and HS).

As for the IS-F, I think it was a carefully calculated move to further cement Lexus's role as a true competitor for Audi/BMW/MB...though unlike other products, a genuinely exciting car emerged from that. I think the IS-F, because it's an off-beat choice, and because of its outrageous bodykit, is a lot more exciting than its somewhat sterile & clinical competition.
clarkma5
I would say that based on what I've read, calling the LF-A "amazing on paper" actually misses the point...it's better to drive than its paper specs suggest. If they just wanted a supercar to plug the gap, they would've done it much more slapdash than this.
DB9
I still don't buy the argument that "just filling the market" justifies 7 years of work/spy shots/testing on this thing. And I hate lexus just as much as the next car enthusiast.
Razor
And the last thing I hate about it (even though you all are going to say "blah blah blah all supercars have remotely the same styling blah blah blah") is this:

Too close for comfort, if you ask me. Lexus has never been able to do anything really original, though, so I'm largely unsurprised that at least part of this car was that much "inspired" by a German rival.
clarkma5
The LF-A was already in development (granted, early on in its development) when the Le Mans Quattro concept (the predecessor to the R8 road car) debuted. And I guarantee you that the big grills on the rear corners of the car is not something that Audi invented...
Synesthesia
Maybe the Murcielago had them first? That's the only other car that comes to mind, though I'm sure there are others.
moe
The LF-A looks like nothing on earth. That vent argument is incredibly weak.
Razor
Oh well, at the end of the day it still costs too much and is not a great looking car. I'll pass.
moe
I guess, much like the Alfa 8C, you're paying for the exclusivity here. I guess it becomes a question of whether you think it's worth it or not, and for most people the answer will be no. Then again, most people can't afford it anyway, and last I heard Lexus has managed to sell them all.
Razor
QUOTE(moe @ Mar 12 2010, 05:50 PM) *
I guess, much like the Alfa 8C, you're paying for the exclusivity here. I guess it becomes a question of whether you think it's worth it or not, and for most people the answer will be no. Then again, most people can't afford it anyway, and last I heard Lexus has managed to sell them all.

The thing is, I would be willing to fork over whatever the Alfa costs to have something that painfully beautiful. With this thing, I can buy a better looking and performing-to-par GT-R for less than a fifth of the price.
moe
QUOTE(moe @ Mar 13 2010, 01:50 AM) *
I guess it becomes a question of whether you think it's worth it or not, and for most people the answer will be no. Then again, most people can't afford it anyway, and last I heard Lexus has managed to sell them all.
John Potts
QUOTE(Razor @ Mar 12 2010, 08:08 PM) *
The thing is, I would be willing to fork over whatever the Alfa costs to have something that painfully beautiful. With this thing, I can buy a better looking and performing-to-par GT-R for less than a fifth of the price.

Clarksons said something similar, has roughly the same perfomance as a gtr yet 8x the price.

I think the sides look great but the front end looks rather unfinished, it almost looks like they kept the spy bra look on it and didnt clean anything up. It looks edgy in spots that should be smooth, I dunno, maybe lexus should stick to luxury sports cars, but who knows, maybe the next generation lfa might be better.
moe
I doubt there'll be another LFA in the near future. I do, however, expect the next-gen SC to take a page from the supercar. I expect it to be more SL-like. Sporty enough to satisfy enthusiasts, luxury enough to satisfy...whoever that satisfies. Then there's the possibility of the SC-F...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2018 Invision Power Services, Inc.