Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: DSCOTY 2010: Sports Cars
Dieselstation Car Forums > Parking Lot > Compare & Contrast
moe
For more on the DieselStation Car of the Year 2010 competition, please see this thread.

BMW Z4
Base MSRP:
$46,000
Available Engines: 3.0 liter inline-6 with 255 HP and 220 ft.-lbs of torque, 3.0 liter turbocharged inline-6 with 300 HP and 300 ft.-lbs of torque.
Available Transmissions: 6-speed manual, 7-speed auto
Available Drivetrains: Rear wheel drive
EPA Fuel Economy: 19 City/28 Highway (xDrive30i), 18/25 (xDrive35i)
Curb Weight: 3241-3450 lbs.

Chevrolet Corvette Grand Sport
Base MSRP:
$54,770
Available Engines: 6.2 liter V8 with 430 HP and 424 ft.-lbs of torque
Available Transmissions: 6-speed manual
EPA Fuel Economy: 16 City/26 Highway
Curb Weight: 3289-3311 lbs.

Nissan 370Z Roadster
Base MSRP:
$36,960
Available Engines: 3.7 liter V6 with 332 HP with 270 ft.-lbs of torque
Available Transmissions: 6-speed manual, 7-speed automatic
EPA Fuel Economy: 18 City/25 Highway
Curb Weight: 3426-3497 lbs.

Porsche Boxster Spyder
Base MSRP:
$61,200
Available Engines: 3.4 liter flat-6 with 320 HP with 273 ft.-lbs of torque
Available Transmissions: 6-speed manual, 7-speed PDK
EPA Fuel Economy: TBA
Curb Weight: 2811-2866 lbs.

Bjorn
There might be a problem with Crankshafted.com

For me it's no contest. The Boxtser Spyder is the car I have been waiting my entire adult life for Porsche to make. It's my generation's 924 Carrera GT (without the competition background).
Dr. Strangelove
This was tough for me. I like the Boxster Spyder, but it's really just a factory stripped Boxster, nothing really all that specail. The Z4 is great though. Surprised that I am the only person to vote for it so far.

Even the critically blasted 370z is beating it?
fiber optic
I'm thinking of voting for the Corvette or the Porsche but I'm waiting until the pics show up.
moe
That's funny, they're showing up fine for me. Could be cached though.

Anyway, I voted for the Boxster. I love its purity, and top down it looks phenomenal. According to the reviews I've read it's so much more than a "stripped Boxster."

The 370 Roadster is my second choice. I actually really, really like the styling. It's smaller, lighter, has that awesome trick gearbox, and finally doesn't look like ass with the roof up. It's probably the one I would actually buy if I were in the market for a sports car. The Z4's gorgeous, but I see it as a downgrade over its predecessor in every conceivable way (ok, it looks better than the previous roadster, but it has nothing on the coupe). If I wanted a Corvette, I'd either step up to the Z06, or just get the regular model. I'll pass on the Grand Sport.
Razor
QUOTE(moe @ Feb 25 2010, 11:46 AM) *
That's funny, they're showing up fine for me. Could be cached though.

Anyway, I voted for the Boxster. I love its, and top down it looks phenomenal. According to the reviews I've read it's so much more than a "stripped Boxster."

The 370 Roadster is my second choice. I actually really, really like the styling. It's smaller, lighter, has that awesome trick gearbox, and finally doesn't look like ass with the roof up. The Z4's gorgeous, but I see it as a downgrade over its predecessor in every conceivable way (ok, it looks better than the previous roadster, but it has nothing on the coupe). If I wanted a Corvette, I'd either step up to the Z06, or just get the regular model. I'll pass on the Grand Sport.

They're cached for you. Cyclone is updating the payment method of the CS hosting as we speak. Should be back soon!
Cyclone
Got a new debit card and forgot to update my card number on made2own. Fail tongue.gif I'm bugging Mix about reactivating my sites now.
Altostratus
gran sport.
Synesthesia
I like BMW's Zs but I find this iteration rather unattractive and I don't like how it's a step in the SLK direction. Also like Nissan's Zs and I know this one is great, but again, kind of ugly. The Boxster though, holy shit, I want it bad.
Razor
Grand Sport Interior: Because some people are nostalgic for Fisher Price.

Moe, could you change my vote from 370Z to the Porsche? I want PDK, not that stupid fake manual.
Frederf
Lightest one got my vote.
Bjorn
Should the Spyders transmission specs read "6-speed manual, pdk" ?
clarkma5
Oh god Boxster Spyder drool3.gif
Frederf
I would imagine so or better: "6-speed manual, 7-speed PDK"
dukenukem
Odd .. where did my reply go?

Oh well, I voted for the Grand sport for being best looking, best performing car while still being entirely livable daily driver.
SwissWhiskey
Z4, good car but i'm waiting for an M, even though they are saying they are not going to make one (like they said no M SUV...)

Vette, get a normal one or work harder and get a Z06... Just a standard in a bodykit. You can get the same suspension on the normal one.

370, fuck no

Porsche, they made it lighter and upped the power, and it just looks a lot better than the normal boxter. Gets my vote!
fiber optic
Corvette for it's fixed hard top. The Porsche looks dumb with the top up which is the way I'd have it 99% of the time. I don't like being on display when I'm in a car.
moe
QUOTE(Frederf @ Feb 26 2010, 07:40 AM) *
I would imagine so or better: "6-speed manual, 7-speed PDK"

Yeah, need to fix that.

QUOTE(SwissWhiskey @ Feb 26 2010, 01:45 PM) *
Z4, good car but i'm waiting for an M, even though they are saying they are not going to make one (like they said no M SUV...)

Right, but they went from having two generations of Z-series M cars to saying no more, the case is a bit different than the SUVs. The closest you're going to get is the sDrive35is (or whatever the hell you call it).
Aircooled
QUOTE(SwissWhiskey @ Feb 26 2010, 04:45 AM) *
Z4, good car but i'm waiting for an M, even though they are saying they are not going to make one

This
moe
QUOTE(Razor @ Feb 26 2010, 04:42 AM) *
Moe, could you change my vote from 370Z to the Porsche? I want PDK, not that stupid fake manual.

Done.
Dr. Strangelove
What makes the 370z a fake manual? Because you can turn on a feature that rev matches for you? Just don't turn it on.
moe
Yeah I'm not sure how such an ardent DSG fanboi can go around calling anything with a clutch a fake manual, but that's Razor for ya.
Razor
QUOTE(moe @ Mar 1 2010, 02:10 PM) *
Yeah I'm not sure how such an ardent DSG fanboi can go around calling anything with a clutch a fake manual, but that's Razor for ya.

The DSG does exactly what it was designed to do and isn't an excuse and isn't trying to be anything more than it is. Doesn't that auto-rev matching feature totally defeat the purpose that is a manual? I know you can turn it off, but for the people who buy it for that reason... is that not a useless feature? If you're going to do that, why not save yourself from sacrificing the performance and equip the car with a transmission that will take every bit advantage of what the car can offer, eliminating the lackluster ability of human shift times?
clarkma5
...no, Razor, you're an idiot. Show me a button on the DSG that turns the clutch pedal on and you can save face here.
Bjorn
I would like to try the rev match on the 370Z. I can heel-toe just fine, but my fine control of the brakes is compromised to a degree. Rev match would be pretty OK for that, assuming it works as well as the punters have claimed.
Razor
QUOTE(clarkma5 @ Mar 2 2010, 12:05 AM) *
...no, Razor, you're an idiot. Show me a button on the DSG that turns the clutch pedal on and you can save face here.

A clutch pedal makes inefficiency.
moe
A DSG makes for a soulless robot.
Razor
QUOTE(moe @ Mar 2 2010, 10:14 AM) *
A DSG makes for a soulless robot.

Well I think the opposite. We all have assholes, ya' know?
Synesthesia
God Razor, you're such a pain in the ass. Auto-manuals, while slightly more efficient, are not some kind of huge improvement over a standard manual unless we're talking about F1-level performance and are certainly less fun. The only reason I'll buy for you buying a car with DSG is so you don't have to deal with a clutch in traffic. Why don't you stick with that rationale and shut up?
Razor
QUOTE(Synesthesia @ Mar 2 2010, 11:12 AM) *
God Razor, you're such a pain in the ass. Auto-manuals, while slightly more efficient, are not some kind of huge improvement over a standard manual unless we're talking about F1-level performance and are certainly less fun. The only reason I'll buy for you buying a car with DSG is so you don't have to deal with a clutch in traffic. Why don't you stick with that rationale and shut up?

Because that rationale would be a lie. I simply find the DSG more fun. Wow, look at that, I have an opinion that doesn't conform to that of a normal car enthusiast...

Big fucking deal, yeah?

I think it's not just me who needs to shut up, but everyone here, because you all need to realize realize this is just my opinion (that shouldn't even matter to you), and quit taking my 'bait' that seems to be spurring you all on.

It's not that I don't like manuals (I do, kind of like I like antiques), it's just that I like sequential automated manuals more. Again, so what? It's not that your life is any worse off for it.

EDIT: I'm going to be even more useful and provide a fix for you. Enjoy! Just stop giving me shit, please.
dukenukem
QUOTE(Razor @ Mar 2 2010, 10:39 AM) *
Because that rationale would be a lie. I simply find the DSG more fun. Wow, look at that, I have an opinion that doesn't conform to that of a normal car enthusiast...

Big fucking deal, yeah?

I think it's not just me who needs to shut up, but everyone here, because you all need to realize realize this is just my opinion (that shouldn't even matter to you), and quit taking my 'bait' that seems to be spurring you all on.

It's not that I don't like manuals (I do, kind of like I like antiques), it's just that I like sequential automated manuals more. Again, so what? It's not that your life is any worse off for it.

EDIT: I'm going to be even more useful and provide a fix for you. Enjoy! Just stop giving me shit, please.

moe
QUOTE(Razor @ Mar 2 2010, 08:39 PM) *
Just stop giving me shit, please.

Welcome to DS
Razor
QUOTE(moe @ Mar 2 2010, 12:19 PM) *
Welcome to DS

tongue.gif
Aircooled
QUOTE(Razor @ Mar 2 2010, 09:42 AM) *
A clutch pedal makes inefficiency.

Since we all know that the clutch pedal is just a form of what physicists call a lever arm, which is damn near 100 efficient at transferring foot force to a linear force for the clutch cylinder. Then you must be referring to the inefficiency of the clutch itself. But anyone moderately educated knows that a regular manual has one clutch system, the DSG has in fact 2 of them which according to your argument would be twice as inefficient.

FAIL
Razor
QUOTE(Aircooled @ Mar 2 2010, 12:37 PM) *
Since we all know that the clutch pedal is just a form of what physicists call a lever arm, which is damn near 100 efficient at transferring foot force to a linear force for the clutch cylinder. Then you must be referring to the inefficiency of the clutch itself. But anyone moderately educated knows that a regular manual has one clutch system, the DSG has in fact 2 of them which according to your argument would be twice as inefficient.

FAIL

You, sir, have missed my point: you have forgotten to factor in the human element that so causes this lack of efficiency. Even the best driver cannot replicate the speed or precision that an automated manual's control unit can offer when it comes to the engaging and disengaging of the clutch. I guess that's what makes it so-called "soulless," but it is, nonetheless, an inevitable lack of efficiency if human error is involved.

Hence why I said "clutch pedal," is this is the interface through which inefficiency becomes a part of the system and process.
infinity
bitchfight.gif
350Z
QUOTE(Razor @ Mar 2 2010, 05:54 PM) *
You, sir, have missed my point: you have forgotten to factor in the human element that so causes this lack of efficiency. Even the best driver cannot replicate the speed or precision that an automated manual's control unit can offer when it comes to the engaging and disengaging of the clutch. I guess that's what makes it so-called "soulless," but it is, nonetheless, an inevitable lack of efficiency if human error is involved.

Hence why I said "clutch pedal," is this is the interface through which inefficiency becomes a part of the system and process.

Im pretty sure getting used to and driving a half way decent car with a proper manual would change your opinion. I know I would enjoy/appreciate the paddles in some situations but a manual is just going to be more fun more of the time, it's just the extra control over the mechanics of the car that it allows the driver.
infinity
Just drop it guys, he's clearly stated his opinion/preference.
QUOTE(Razor @ Mar 2 2010, 11:39 AM) *
I simply find the DSG more fun. Wow, look at that, I have an opinion that doesn't conform to that of a normal car enthusiast...

It's not that I don't like manuals (I do, kind of like I like antiques), it's just that I like sequential automated manuals more.
midnightdorifto
Voted Corvette, for it being the practical, sensible, drive-it-in-the-snow, 30mpg hatchback it is.

Also, LS3 = win.

But the Porsche was a close second, if it weren't for me being a huge fanboy, I'd go that direction.
Synesthesia
QUOTE(Razor @ Mar 2 2010, 11:39 AM) *

Big fucking deal, yeah?

I fail to see how operating a lever with your fingers is more fun than clutching/moving a stick, but fine, to each his own. You still need to shut up about efficiency though, the milliseconds don't matter in road cars!! If you don't want us to react to your bait then don't bait us. You're just always freaking mentioning DSG > everything.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.