Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: DSCOTY 2010: Performance
Dieselstation Car Forums > Parking Lot > Compare & Contrast
moe
For more on the DieselStation Car of the Year 2010 competition, please see this thread.

BMW M3 Convertible
Base MSRP:
$67,050
Available Engines: 4.0 liter V8 with 414 HP and 295 ft.-lbs of torque
Available Transmissions: 6-speed manual, 7-speed MCT
Available Drivetrains: Rear wheel drive
EPA Fuel Economy: 13 City/19 Highway (6MT), 14/20 (MCT)
Curb Weight: 4145 lbs.

Shelby GT500
Base MSRP:
$46,725
Available Engines: 5.4 liter supercharged V8 with 540 HP with 510 ft.-lbs of torque
Available Transmissions: 6-speed manual
EPA Fuel Economy: 14 City/22 Highway
Curb Weight: 3924 lbs.

Jaguar XKR
Base MSRP:
$96,000
Available Engines: 5.0 liter supercharged V8 with 510 HP and 461 ft.-lbs of torque
Available Transmissions: 6-speed automatic
EPA Fuel Economy: 15 City/22 highway
Curb Weight: 3968-4079 lbs.

Lotus Evora
Base MSRP:
$73,500
Available Engines: 3.5 liter V6 with 276 HP and 258 ft.-lbs of torque
EPA Fuel Economy: 19 City/28 Highway
Curb Weight: 2976 lbs.

Porsche 911 GT3/GT3 RS
Base MSRP:
$112,200
Available Engines: 3.6 liter flat 6 with 435 HP and 317 ft.-lbs of torque, 3.6 liter flat 6 with 450 HP and 317 ft.-lbs of torque
EPA Fuel Economy: 14 City/21 Highway
Curb Weight: 3075 lbs.

Bjorn
M3 cabrio does nothing for me.

GT500 is a bargain, but I'm not moved by it.

XKR is a beautiful, but there is something about it that feels less good than it could be.

Leaving the Evora and the GT3.

I honestly love boh of these cars, and get this desire to work harder every time I see one.

The GT3 might be an evolution of the previous car, but wow, I honestly didn't think the 997 GT3 Mk. 1 could get better.

Hoever, I think I'm going to give it to the Evora. It brings Lotus kicking and screaming into the 21st century, and is the first car to give Porsche a run for their money in a long long time.
BlackJack
I voted for the GT3RS. It's possibly the greatest and sleekest car of its kind. Simply a win for me.
moe
Evora. I pretty much started worshipping the car after it won EVO's COTY. The article they wrote, and why it was better than the GT3 absolutely sold me.
moe
QUOTE(Bjorn @ Feb 21 2010, 07:55 PM) *
It brings Lotus kicking and screaming into the 21st century, and is the first car to give Porsche a run for their money in a long long time.

I hate that phrase, and I think Lotus has been very much a part of it using the construction techniques on their cars. Also, I didn't realize a year was a long, long time. You know, since the R8 already made the 911 shit itself.
Razor
Evora. Everything else here is pretty bland.
Synesthesia
Ahh I love the GT3 but yeah, it's such a slight change over the predecessor. I'm going for the Evora.
DB9
I think this ones pretty tough. I had no idea the Shelby was that cheap, but I absolutely love the Evora too. Also, how does the XKR get better city mileage than highway mileage? I thought that was only the case for hybrids...
moe
QUOTE(DB9 @ Feb 21 2010, 11:34 PM) *
I think this ones pretty tough. I had no idea the Shelby was that cheap, but I absolutely love the Evora too. Also, how does the XKR get better city mileage than highway mileage? I thought that was only the case for hybrids...

Uhh, it isn't that cheap. I'm just an idiot, I fixed it though. Still affordable alongside this bunch though. Also, fixed the MPG for the Jag.
clarkma5
God I adore the GT3 RS so much, I don't care if it costs twice as much as everyone else here, it's still a fucking bargain. (That said, it really should be in a different category).

http://media.il.edmunds-media.com/porsche/...f_fd_1_1600.jpg
dukenukem
The only 2 cars from the list that I care about are the GT500 and the GT3. Not sure which one moves me more.
infinity
GT3RS with the Evora a close 2nd.

Everything is pales in comparison IMO.
caster
I have to give it to the GT3, after seeing one in the canyons and how it handles and sounds, I fell in love with it even more..
dukenukem
I give it to the GT3. I love the new GT500 but I love the Porsche even more.
Bjorn
QUOTE(moe @ Feb 21 2010, 10:25 AM) *
I hate that phrase, and I think Lotus has been very much a part of it using the construction techniques on their cars. Also, I didn't realize a year was a long, long time. You know, since the R8 already made the 911 shit itself.

Personally, I consider the Elise to be really long in the tooth. The series 2 has been with us since 2002, and while Lotus has been upgrading it constantly, a series 3, or a completely different car needs to be produced soon. The Europa was a bit of a half measure IMHO, and the Esprit was ancient. The Evora is the future of Lotus IMHO, the rest of the lineup is their past.

Also, while the R8 is amazing, I don't think it unseated the 911.
moe
QUOTE(Bjorn @ Feb 22 2010, 05:56 AM) *
Personally, I consider the Elise to be really long in the tooth. The series 2 has been with us since 2002, and while Lotus has been upgrading it constantly, a series 3, or a completely different car needs to be produced soon. The Europa was a bit of a half measure IMHO, and the Esprit was ancient. The Evora is the future of Lotus IMHO, the rest of the lineup is their past.

Also, while the R8 is amazing, I don't think it unseated the 911.

I don't think the Elise/Exige ever needed a significant overhaul. It still looks fresh, and is one of the best sportscars on sale thanks to constant evolution.

I think whether the R8 unseated the 911 or was up to you. Run for its money? Definitely.
moe
QUOTE(clarkma5 @ Feb 22 2010, 12:19 AM) *
That said, it really should be in a different category.

It was a tough call, but I was doing my best to categorize the sportscars, and keep the Porsches separate.
SwissWhiskey
Though one!

I love the M3, but think the convertible is pointless, and gay. The 335i convertible does the job. The normal M3 coupe is magic because its turns into a razor sharp monkey if you mash the throttle. Coupe would of gotten my vote (but then look at my avater... i'm a fanboy).

The 2011-2010 Shelby is my alltime favourite muscle car, but when put next to the M3 and GT3... well you can't really compare.

997.2 GT3 gets my vote, the definition of a focused sportscar. Its the only good looking Porsche in production (turbo maybe...) and the only one I would buy.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.