Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: DSCOTY 2010: Versatility
Dieselstation Car Forums > Parking Lot > Compare & Contrast
moe
For more on the DieselStation Car of the Year 2010 competition, please see this thread.

BMW 550i GranTurismo
Base MSRP:
$63,900
Available Engines: 4.4 liter turbocharged V8 with 400 HP and 450 ft.-lbs of torque
Available Transmissions: 8-speed automatic
Available Drivetrains: Rear wheel drive
EPA Fuel Economy: 15 City/21 Highway
Curb Weight: 4938 lbs.

Cadillac CTS Sports Wagon
Base MSRP:
$38.265
Available Engines: 3.0 liter V6 with 270 HP with 223 ft.-lbs of torque, 3.6 liter V6 with 304 HP and 273 ft.-lbs of torque
Available Transmissions: 6-speed automatic
Available Drivetrains: Rear wheel drive, all wheel drive
EPA Fuel Economy: 18 City/27 Highway (3.0 RWD), 18/26 (all other models)
Curb Weight: 4212 lbs.

Ford Transit Connect
Base MSRP:
$21,135
Available Engines: 2.0 liter I-4 with 136 HP and 128 ft.-lbs of torque
Available Transmissions: 4-speed automatic
Available Drivetrains: Front wheel drive
EPA Fuel Economy: 22 City/25 highway
Curb Weight: 3360-3425 lbs.

Honda Accord CrossTour
Base MSRP:
$29,670
Available Engines: 3.5 liter V6 with 271 HP and 254 ft.-lbs of torque
Available Transmissions: 5-speed automatic
Available Drivetrains: Front wheel drive, all wheel drive
EPA Fuel Economy: 18 City/27 Highway (FWD), 17/25 (AWD)
Curb Weight: 3852-4070 lbs.

Subaru Outback
Base MSRP:
$19,995
Available Engines: 2.5 liter horizontally opposed boxer 4 with 170 HP and 170 ft.-lbs of torque, 3.6 liter H-6 with 256 HP and 247 ft.-lbs of torque
Available Transmissions: 6-speed manual, CVT, 5-speed automatic
Available Drivetrains: All wheel drive
EPA Fuel Economy: 19 City/27 Highway, 18/25 (3.6)
Curb Weight: 3386-3658 lbs.

Volkswagen Jetta SportWagen
Base MSRP:
$19,5120
Available Engines: 2.6 liter DOHC I-5 with 170 HP and 177 ft.-lbs of torque, 2.0 liter turbo diesel I-4 with 140 HP and 236 ft.-lbs of torque
Available Transmissions: 5-speed manual, 6-speed manual, 6-speed automatic, 6-speed DSG
Available Drivetrains: Front wheel drive
EPA Fuel Economy: 22 City/30 Highway (I-5 manual), 23/30 (I-5 auto), 30/41 (TDI manual), 30/42 (TDI DSG)
Curb Weight: 3228-3286 lbs.

moe
This is an interesting category. I suppose you could call it the Wagons category, but there are also two large hatchbacks, and a compact van here as well. I contemplated putting the Flex/MKT in this segment, but those cars have actual competition. It's a different execution, but focused towards the Traverse/CX-9 segment. On the other hand, the CrossTour's closest competitor to me seems like the long gone Saab 900/9-3 hatchback...or the Venza I suppose. Perhaps the most questionable car included here is the Transit. It's really more of a commercial vehicle with its true rivals being much larger vans (Econoline/Sprinter). However, there really wasn't a place for it in the trucks section anywhere, and is much closer to being a car anyway. Besides, you can get the passenger version and haul your family and friends around...so there you go.

EDIT: b00st the 9-3X was supposed to feature in this category. There are reviews available, and some specs are available too. However, the complete spec list for the US isn't available, and neither is any pricing information. So expect a barrage of Saab's in next year's DSCOTY.
Bjorn
BMW and Honda are offensive to my eyes.

New outback has more plastic than substance.

Ford transit is pretty cool, hum.

The CTS wagon is cool, although I suspect it will follow the Magnum into history as a sales flop.

I would own a Jetta wagon TDI. It was actually my second choice after the Legacy, but I went for AWD over fuel economy.

Ultimately I would like to vote for the Jetta, but I think the Ford is a huge addition to our market. They have only ben on sale for a little while here, but already I see them everywhere.
Razor
The 5 Series GT is so ugly in person I almost told the BMW rep I knew why they were keeping it locked away in a no-photos tent.

I suspect the Honda isn't much better.

The Outback is boring.

The Ford... what?

So that leaves the Cadillac and the Jetta... hmmm...

Gotta go with the Jetta (TDI), unfortunately, because it really is a great car.
dukenukem
I am torn between the Outback and the CTS since the rest are either hideous or cargo trucks.

Edit: I would shoot myself in the face before wasting $20k on wallpaper paste that is the VW.
infinity
Uhm. I don't think the Transit should be in the same category as any of the rest of these cars. It's....a van.

Also, Jetta SportWagon. It's the only one that's not hideous (or a van).
nismo
I voted Legacy. That interior is really really nice. Navi screen is HUGE, I just am afraid to see what the non navi's radio looks like.
Dr. Strangelove
I test drove the Transit Connect at a Ford press event. I think it fits here, because there are no other cars like it for sale in the US. It think it's great and it got my vote.
clarkma5
CTS Sport Wagon. Second choice would be the Jetta, I guess.
Synesthesia
Whoa, they're going to bring the Transit to the US? Freaking cool!
Bjorn
^They already have them up here in Canada. Look kinda strange, like a Dodge sprinter hit with a shrink ray.
clarkma5
One of my neighbors has had one for a solid six months now. They use it for some sort of crappy "kitchens for under $9,995" business which I'm sure is an affront to quality construction but oh well.
UserDrew
Ah, the Ford Transit. It's the quit possibly, and I have this from the highest of authorities, the best car ever built. thumbs_up.gif

They've been selling here since at least august. I saw some on a lot in Frankfort, Ky. Just the other day I saw one on the road but it could've been from Mexico.
fiber optic
The CTS Wagon got my vote.

I've seen exactly one of the transit vans and it's much smaller than I was expecting. And more of a commercial vehicle than one I'd buy for personal use.
moe
Not sure what I want to vote for, so I'm going to think aloud here.

5 GT - I don't find it absolutely revolting (it's on the right side of acceptable), and I'm beginning to understand it. It's a very narrow niche mind you, and I'm not sure it'll be met with much success. Leif said something about it being a Saab once, and that kind of stuck with me. It's everything a Saab should be, and everything a BMW should not. If it weren't the expensive V8 model, I might've voted for it.

CTS - This thing belongs in an art gallery, seriously. Striking, modern, and distinctly Cadillac. I think it's the best-looking car Cadillac has ever made, and once it gets the V treatment, it'll be one of the best performing too.

Transit - It's a new sort of vehicle for the market, and is already proving to be successful. The right car at the right time for Ford, and I expect a raft of imitators (especially considering that Chrysler has access to a similar vehicle through Fiat and GM through Opel). Practical, versatile, and good value for just about anyone...it's no driver's car though.

CrossTour - another universally hated car, that I really don't mind. It's about as practical as many of the new crossovers, without actually being one. It's a midsize hatch, which is something of a rarity these days. It doesn't look too bad from certain angles, but I've yet to see one in real life. My problem with it is the horrid interior (my problem with all new Accords), and why is the suspension raised again?

Outback - really does nothing for me. A good car? Of course, but it's more of the same formula since its conception. I'd also much rather have a Legacy Wagon than this...sucks that that's no longer a possibility in many markets.

Jetta - The new corporate nose has cleaned up what I thought was a pretty uninspiring little car. The new interior is also an example for cars in its segment, and in the segment above. Restrained, well-designed, and well-built...the TDI option is worthwhile too, and it's not too bad to drive.

So I'm deciding between the CTS, Transit, and VW (whoa, what?) right now. I guess I'll go with the CTS.
SwissWhiskey
Voted for the Jetta? (Golf) Wagon because thanks to its understeer I am still alive and not dead in a ravine with my head in a tree. (I wasn't driving...)

Best out the bunch, practical, and the interior is awesome for the price.
Dr. Strangelove
QUOTE(moe @ Feb 19 2010, 11:03 AM) *
Not sure what I want to vote for, so I'm going to think aloud here.

Transit - It's a new sort of vehicle for the market, and is already proving to be successful. The right car at the right time for Ford, and I expect a raft of imitators (especially considering that Chrysler has access to a similar vehicle through Fiat and GM through Opel). Practical, versatile, and good value for just about anyone...it's no driver's car though.

Not everything has to be.
moe
QUOTE(Dr. Strangelove @ Feb 25 2010, 07:56 PM) *
Not everything has to be.

Yeah, I know that. I think the Transit is a very significant car for North America, but the Cadillac is just rolling artwork and is a driver's car.
moe
I think we're going to need a tie breaker here. Is there a procedure for that Clarkma?
Razor
QUOTE(moe @ Feb 28 2010, 05:53 AM) *
I think we're going to need a tie breaker here. Is there a procedure for that Clarkma?

Yeah, it's called changing my vote to the CTS Wagon so a van doesn't win.
moe
I've decided to do a tie-breaker thread. You can vote for the Caddy there.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.