Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: DSCOTY 2010: Luxury SUVs
Dieselstation Car Forums > Parking Lot > Compare & Contrast
moe
For more on the DieselStation Car of the Year 2010 competition, please see this thread.

Acura MDX
Base MSRP:
$42,230
Available Engines: 3.7 liter VTEC V6 with 225 HP and 406 ft.-lbs of torque
Available Transmissions: 6-speed automatic
Available Drivetrains: All wheel drive
EPA Fuel Economy: 16 City/21 Highway
Curb Weight: 4550-4627 lbs.

Audi Q7 TDI
Base MSRP:
$50,900
Available Engines: 3.0 liter turbo diesel V6 with 225 HP with 406 ft.-lbs of torque
Available Drivetrains: All wheel drive
EPA Fuel Economy: 17 City/25 Highway
Curb Weight: 5512 lbs.

Range Rover
Base MSRP:
$79,275
Available Engines: 5.0 liter V8 with 375 HP and 375 ft.-lbs of torque, 5.0 liter Supercharged V8 with 510 HP and 461 ft.-lbs of torque
Available Drivetrains: Four wheel drive
EPA Fuel Economy: 12 City/18 Highway
Curb Weight: 5697-5891 lbs.

Lexus GX
Base MSRP:
$51,970
Available Engines: 4.6 liter V8 with 301 HP and 329 ft.-lbs of torque
Available Drivetrains: Four wheel drive
EPA Fuel Economy: 15 City/20 Highway
Curb Weight: 5305-5340 lbs.

Lincoln MKT
Base MSRP:
$44,200
Available Engines: 3.7 liter V6 with 268 HP and 267 ft.-lbs of torque, 3.5 liter twin-turbo V6 with 355 HP and 350 ft.-lbs of torque
Available Drivetrains: Front wheel drive (not available with EcoBoost), all wheel drive
EPA Fuel Economy: 17 City/23 Highway, 16/22 (V6 with AWD and EcoBoost)
Curb Weight: 4499 lbs.

Bjorn
Audi Q7 is the only one I would be caught dead in.

Maybe the Range Rover, but that's it. The Acura is ugly (and MDX drivers all seem to have something to prove - not that holding that against an entire car is OK or anything, but it is enough for me to reject it outright.) Lexus is not an IS, and is therefore not the only Lexus that holds its own.

The guy who styled the Lincoln should get free Lasik. I have liked Lincolns as of late, but this looks like a badly styled and upside down boat.
moe
Had to be the Range. It created the segment, and still very much sits at the top of it. Classy, imperious, and crushingly competent in every way. It's among the few SUVs I would actually own.

The only other car I'd vote for here is the Lincoln, but they really, really messed up the styling. On a whole I don't think it looks bad, it might even by stylish, but that corporate face messes up everything (just on this car, seems to work fine on the rest of the range). That, and the Flex costs a lot less, and isn't ugly.
Razor
Sorry, hate to nitpick, but are the stats on the Q7 correct? A RWD SUV from AUDI? And the EXACT same horsepower and torque from the Range Rover from a 3.0L TDI?
moe
Ugh, I wasn't paying attention when I was inputting the RR info, and probably typed it in over the Q7's data. I'm on my way out, so I'll fix it later. Thanks Razor.
dukenukem
I chose the Range Rover for being the douchiest of douches.
Asher
Voted for the RR, has the class.

QUOTE(moe @ Feb 18 2010, 09:58 AM) *
Ugh, I wasn't paying attention when I was inputting the RR info, and probably typed it in over the Q7's data. I'm on my way out, so I'll fix it later. Thanks Razor.

Looks like the Acura has the Q7's info. smile.gif
DB9
Q7 is over 20k less than the range rover, weighs about 100lbs less, has 510 horsepower, and still gets better fuel economy. Seems pretty easy to me.
clarkma5
Not really a Range Rover fan but it wins here. I can't vote for the Q7 in good conscience (the worst car Audi makes) even though I'd probably consider it second out of this group.

And dear god, the MKT...wtf. So ugly.
Synesthesia
Range Rover. Yeah it's really expensive, but it's pretty damn cool. I'm actually kind of digging the Lincoln. Obviously it looks ridiculous, but I kind of like it. I wish the sides and back were stylistically more similar to the front.
SwissWhiskey
Wherever you go the Range has got stance, is class and bold. Its a bit snob but who cares. Gets my vote.

Moe where is the X5? (X5 xdrive35 (3.0SD) got introduced this year in the states).
moe
^ I had no idea. I don't think that would change the fact that RR is going to win here. I need to fix the details on this thread (when I'm less tired and lazy), does anyone want to see the X5 added here?
clarkma5
The X5 diesel was launched last year...it was in the 2009 DSCOTY. Did quite well, too.
moe
I'd completely forgotten about that.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.