Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: DSCOTY 2010: Convertibles
Dieselstation Car Forums > Parking Lot > Compare & Contrast
moe
For more on the DieselStation Car of the Year 2010 competition, please see this thread.

Audi A5/S5 Cabriolet
Base MSRP:
$42,000
Available Engines: 2.0 liter DOHC turbo inline-4 with 211 HP and 258 ft.-lbs of torque, 3.0 liter DOHC supercharged V6 with 333 HP and 325 ft.-lbs of torque
Available Transmissions: CVT, 6-speed automatic, 7-speed DSG (S5 only)
Available Drivetrains: Front wheel drive, all wheel drive
EPA Fuel Economy: 23/30 (A5 FWD), 20/26 (A5 AWD), 17/26 (S5)
Curb Weight: 3308-3699 lbs.

Ford Mustang Convertible
Base MSRP:
$27,245
Available Engines: 2.4 liter SOHC V6 with 210 HP and 240 ft.-lbs of torque, 4.6 liter SOHC V8 with 315 HP and 325 ft.-lbs of torque
Available Transmissions: 5-speed manual, 5-speed automatic
Available Drivetrains: Rear wheel drive
EPA Fuel Economy: 18 City/26 Highway (V6 5MT), 16/24 (V6 5AT), 16/24 (V8 5MT), 17/23 (V8 5MT)
Curb Weight: 3401 lbs.

Infiniti G Convertible
Base MSRP:
$43,850
Available Engines: 3.7 liter DOHC V6 with 325 HP and 267 ft.-lbs of torque
Available Transmissions: 6-speed manual, 7-speed automatic
EPA Fuel Economy: 16 City/24 Highway (6MT), 17/25 (7AT)
Curb Weight: 4095-4110 lbs.

Lexus IS C
Base MSRP:
$39,440
Available Engines: 2.5 liter V6 with 204 HP and 185 ft.-lbs of torque, 3.5 liter V6 with 306 HP and 277 ft.-lbs of torque
Available Transmissions: 6-speed manual (N/A on IS350), 6-speed automatic
EPA Fuel Economy: 18 City/26 Highway (IS250 6MT), 21/29 (IS250 6AT), 18/25 (IS350)
Curb Weight: 3814-3880 lbs.

dukenukem
A5/ S5: Lovely looking car as a coupe .. not so much as a convertible.
G37: Ugly soapbox
Lexus: Bar of soap.
Mustang: Looks lovely and with the top down that V8 rumble sounds that much more awesome!
Bjorn
Eugh, both the Infinity and the Lexus look like shit with the top up. Neither look that great with it down for that matter. I don't think the Japanese can build a good looking FHT, aside from Mazda with the Miata RC.

Mustang doesn't do it for me in Cabrio form.

Audi A5 it is.
Razor
I hate convertibles. A5/S5 because of the possible 7 speed DSG, I like the dashboard, and it isn't the Lexus.
moe
I'm a convertible guy, and I'd take most cars in convertible form over their tin-top brethren. The slight drawback in terms of performance and weight are easily countered by the full-on convertible experience. Yet with this group, I'd take every single one of them in coupe form, because they leave me cold as convertibles. Except for the Lexus, because it simply doesn't have a coupe version.

I've voted for the car that is most likely to set you up as flame bait on DS, the IS C. Yes it's awkward from certain angles, but it is very pretty from others. And no, it's not sporty at all to drive, but I don't mind. In fact, I like that Lexus has positioned the IS C as more of a cruiser than the rest of its competition.

So before Razor throws up the expected "motion to ban whoever voted for the glorified Toyota," I did. It's awkward, and boring, but I'm oddly attracted to it...with no real explanation...maybe it's just because I'm boring and like Lexuses.

EDIT: Dammit Razor, you posted before me.
dukenukem
I bet if I stuck some wheels on a water bed you would love that too.
Razor
QUOTE(moe @ Feb 15 2010, 02:15 PM) *
So before Razor throws up the expected "motion to ban whoever voted for the glorified Toyota," I did. It's awkward, and boring, but I'm oddly attracted to it...with no real explanation...maybe it's just because I'm boring and like Lexuses.

Fair enough, I get a hard-on for the looks of the Gumpert Apollo. tongue.gif
clarkma5
Mustang convertibles are too girly, sorry...maybe if I saw a GT once in a blue moon. Also, same issue with the coupe, needs the 2011 motors.

The A5/S5 pairing are the most compelling convertibles Audi has ever done...that's not saying a WHOLE lot, but it's the best of this bunch.
Razor
QUOTE(clarkma5 @ Feb 15 2010, 02:39 PM) *
Mustang convertibles are too girly, sorry...maybe if I saw a GT once in a blue moon. Also, same issue with the coupe, needs the 2011 motors.

Yeah, I forgot to mention, the only person I know who owns a convertible Mustang is my cousin. She got it in white with a red interior. It's not this model year but you get the point.
BlackJack
You forgot the Volvo C70 Moe.

Out of the bunch, I would pick the Mustang.
moe
QUOTE(BlackJack @ Feb 16 2010, 12:31 AM) *
You forgot the Volvo C70 Moe.

I had it on the list until the very, very last minute (I deleted it seconds before posting). The Volvo US website, and Edmund's both list it as a 2011 model...same with the revised C30.
BlackJack
Good point. You win. THIS TIME.
caster
A5/S5 ftw...the G37 is a close second, Mustang is a decent 3rd, and the Lexus IS C can die and rot in hell.
moe
QUOTE(caster @ Feb 16 2010, 03:01 AM) *
A5/S5 ftw...the G37 is a close second, Mustang is a decent 3rd, and the Lexus IS C can die and rot in hell.

So much hate for the Lexus sad.gif It's the Infiniti I really don't like here. I just find it extremely tacky.
nismo
I picked the Audi, because it's the only one out of the bunch that doesn't look awkward from a rear 3/4 view, and looks good top up, or top down.
Razor
QUOTE(moe @ Feb 15 2010, 06:17 PM) *
So much hate for the Lexus sad.gif It's the Infiniti I really don't like here. I just find it extremely tacky.

The back of the Lexus looks like an old-gen SLK. Yeah, the ugly one.
porsche944
the hard tops appeal more to me than ragtops in general
Dr. Strangelove
Am I the only one who finds the Infiniti stunning?
caster
QUOTE(Dr. Strangelove @ Feb 15 2010, 07:59 PM) *

Its nice, but not stunning. A5/S5 is stunning..
porsche944
QUOTE(Dr. Strangelove @ Feb 15 2010, 11:59 PM) *

+1
dukenukem
QUOTE(caster @ Feb 15 2010, 10:02 PM) *
Its nice, but not stunning. A5/S5 is stunning..

The Zonda is stunning. The A5 is pretty.
Altostratus
As a lexus owner, i have to say......Mustang.
Frederf
G Convertible. I like the old-timey lines that give it a nice charming character. It's a tough head among 3-4 of them though Audi, Lexus, with none of them really standing out as all that great.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.