Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: DSCOTY 2010: Compact Luxury SUVs
Dieselstation Car Forums > Parking Lot > Compare & Contrast
moe
For more on the DieselStation Car of the Year 2010 competition, please see this thread.

Acura RDX
Base MSRP:
$32,522
Available Engines: 2.3 liter turbo inline-4 with 240 HP and 260 ft.-lbs of torque
Available Transmissions: 5-speed automatic
Available Drivetrains: Front wheel drive, all wheel drive
EPA Fuel Economy: 19 City/24 Highway (FWD), 17/22 (AWD)
Curb Weight: 3743-3942 lbs.

Cadillac SRX
Base MSRP:
$33,330
Available Engines: 3.0 V6 with 265 HP and 223 ft.-lbs of torque
Available Transmissions: 6-speed automatic
EPA Fuel Economy: 18 City/25 Highway
Curb Weight: 4224 lbs.

Lexus RX (excluding RX Hybrid)
Base MSRP:
$37,625
Available Engines: 3.5 liter V6 with 275 HP and 257 ft.-lbs of torque
EPA Fuel Economy: 18 City/25 Highway (FWD), 18/24 (AWD)
Curb Weight: 4178-4343 lbs.

Mercedes GLK
Base MSRP:
$34,600
Available Engines: 3.5 liter DOHC V6 with 268 HP and 258 ft.-lbs of torque
Available Transmissions: 7-speed automatic
Available Drivetrains: Rear wheel drive, all wheel drive
EPA Fuel Economy: 16 City/22 Highway (RWD), 16/21 (AWD)
Curb Weight: 3926-4036 lbs.

Volvo XC60
Base MSRP:
$32,995
Available Engines: 3.2 liter inline-6 with 235 HP and 236 ft.-lbs of torque, 3.2 liter turbo inline-6 with 281 HP and 295 ft.-lbs of torque
EPA Fuel Economy: 18 City/27 Highway (I6 FWD), 16/22 (T6 AWD)
Curb Weight: 4012-4225 lbs.

BlackJack
I drove the XC60 a couple times at work and I gotta say, it's the best out of the bunch. Small, but roomy. Nice and simple inside with a panoramic sunroof too.
Bjorn
Ya, I gotta go with the volvo too...

The rest of the cars in this category are hideous. The SRX might be my choice if the XC60 wasn't here, but I think they got far too "Art and Science" with the exterior, like they didn't know when to stop adding creases.
Mr b00st
question...

?!?

Does this category only cover cars on sale now? Because the 9-4x should be hitting dealerships in mid-2010.

anyway, from these choices I'm going with the XC60. The Acura's quite ugly, the SRX is worse (although with the Saab turbo V6 it's probably nice), the GLK is not all that nice inside, and RX350... bleurgh.
moe
Because of the Spyker sale, etc., the 9-4X won't be making it to market until early 2011. That's the last I read at SaabsUnited, though you may know better than me. Either way, there are no reviews, no specs, and official pricing information available on the car, making it difficult for us vote for it based on anything other than the way it looks. In fact, scratch that, there aren't even official photos of the production version. A lot of those reasons are why you won't see the new 9-5 in this year's DSCOTY even though that actually is a 2010 model. If it's a Saab you want though, they will be represented in one of the categories.

I voted Volvo as well. The RDX is looking a bit dated. What once was a nice enough looking SUV, doesn't look quite as sharp as it did with all the very attractive new competition (is it just me or do most SUVs of this size look really good?). The beak really isn't helping matters, and the interior is just plain uninspiring, no matter how solidly it might be screwed together.

While the GLK doesn't look bad, it is reminiscent of the old Toyota Highlander (albeit better proportioned, which kind of kills it for me. I do think this is the best of MB's new SUVs though. The ML has always looked and felt Korean to me, and the GL still didn't really look like a Benz to me. I think the blocky interior recalls the old brick-style MBs, and gives it a feeling of solidity missing from its bigger brothers.

I guess "Don't mess with success" is the motto Lexus is going with here. I really do like the RX, I always have, but it's been under serious fire lately, and there are better cars to be had now. Still looks good outside, and I'm actually a huge fan of the interior. I find it genuinely fresh, and interesting. Still, it's a snore to drive, and it seems everything it does, the Volvo does better.

I think the SRX is one Cadillac's best executions of the Art & Science theme to date. It looks very sharp, and is supposed to be the sportscar of the segment. I'm not digging the interior though, and the XC60 is just a better all-rounder.

It's nice to see Volvo at the top of their game once again, and they absolutely nailed it with the XC60. It looks great outside, ushering in a new era of Volvo design. It's also supposed to be the best all-rounder in the segment, and I'm a huge fan of that beautiful, minimalist interior.
fiber optic
I can't decide. sad.gif

I'm torn between the MB, Cadillac, and Volvo. I really like the looks of the MB but I think I'd have a tough time actually bringing myself to buy one. The Cadillac is also good looking and I like the interior. And the Volvo has that sweet turbo torque.
clarkma5
These cars all suck. I think the XC60 sucks the least so it gets my vote.
SwissWhiskey
Went for the Volvo because it has the best interior, roomy, and looks good. My vote would of gone for the X1 if it we're on the list.

The GLK, it looks good, but the interior is just too cube-isch. Got a ride in one a year ago, freaky interior and harsh ride.

All the others look like shit.
DB9
I read somewhere that the new SRX is a lot more dumbed down then the previous gen (save for the looks). The mercedes just looks retarded, never been a fan. And I really like where volvo's going (design-wise at least). So, volvo for me.
dukenukem
QUOTE(clarkma5 @ Feb 13 2010, 12:44 PM) *
These cars all suck. I think the XC60 sucks the least so it gets my vote.
Razor
I'm fairly indifferent to this group, and I'd really vote for anything except the beige piece of shit (Lexus).

So...

I'm going GLK because it's the best looking and Mercedes didn't get the interior from IKEA, unlike my next choice.
Frederf
Mercedes. The only other one I'd rather drive than be shot through the head is the Volvo.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.