Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: DSCOTY 2010: Coupes
Dieselstation Car Forums > Parking Lot > Compare & Contrast
moe
For more on the DieselStation Car of the Year 2010 competition, please see this thread.

Chevrolet Camaro
Base MSRP:
$22,680
Available Engines: 3.6 liter V6 with 304 HP and 273 ft.-lbs of torque, 6.2 liter V8 with 426 HP and 420 ft.-lbs of torque
Available Transmissions: 6-speed manual, 6-speed automatic
Available Drivetrains: Rear wheel drive
EPA Fuel Economy: 17 City/29 Highway (V6), 16/24 (V8)
Curb Weight: 3728-3849 lbs.

Ford Mustang
Base MSRP:
$20,840
Available Engines: 2.4 liter SOHC V6 with 210 HP and 240 ft.-lbs of torque, 4.6 liter SOHC V8 with 315 HP and 325 ft.-lbs of torque
Available Transmissions: 5-speed manual, 5-speed automatic
EPA Fuel Economy: 18 City/26 Highway (V6 5MT), 16/24 (V6 5AT), 16/24 (V8 5MT), 17/23 (V8 5MT)
Curb Weight: 3401 lbs.

Hyundai Genesis Coupe
Base MSRP:
$22,000
Available Engines: 2.0 liter DOHC turbo inline-4 with 210 HP and 223 ft.-lbs of torque, 3.8 liter V6 with 306 HP and 266 ft.-lbs of torque
Available Transmissions: 6-speed manual, 5-speed automatic (2.0), 6-speed automatic (V6)
EPA Fuel Economy: 21 City/30 Highway (2.0 6MT), 20/30 (2.0 5AT), 17/26 (V6 6MT), 17/27 (V6 6AT)
Curb Weight: 3294-3397 lbs.

Mercedes E-Class Coupe
Base MSRP:
$48,050
Available Engines: 3.5 liter V6 with 268 HP and 258 ft.-lbs of torque, 5.5 liter V8 with 382 HP and 391 ft.-lbs of torque
Available Transmissions: 7-speed automatic
EPA Fuel Economy: 17 City/26 Highway (E350), 15/23 (E550)
Curb Weight: 3683-3783 lbs.

Nissan Altima Coupe
Base MSRP:
$22,440
Available Engines: 2.5 liter DOHC inline-4 with 175 HP and 180 ft.-lbs of torque, 3.5 liter DOHC V6 with 270 HP and 258 ft.-lbs of torque
Available Transmissions: 6-speed manual, CVT
Available Drivetrains: Front wheel drive
EPA Fuel Economy: 23 City/31 Highway (2.5 6MT), 23/32 (2.5 CVT), 18/27 (V6 6MT), 20/27 (V6 CVT)
Curb Weight: 3081-3333 lbs.

Bjorn
New Camaro does absolutely nothing for me. It looks like it's about 10-20% too big, to my eyes, and wasn't scaled up properly.

2010 Mustang, looks so good, hear it's good to drive, but I think I would wait till 2011 for the 5.0L, or for an ecoboost engine.

Genesis is beautiful, fun to drive and affordable, in four-pot turbocharged guise. Track pack, yes please.

Never been a fan of big Mercedes coupes, and I don't like the new E class all that much. After the greatness that was the C the E looks too fussy and bulky.

Altima coupe, looks OK, but it's FWD.

Genesis moved the game forward, and is my coupe of the year.
moe
The Altima does nothing for me...it is pretty though.

The Camaro looks really good on paper, but I don't think it lived up to its potential. It looks great, but ultimately it's flawed.

I can't honestly vote for the Mustang knowing the 2011 model will probably blow its competition into oblivion.

The Genesis is a great coupe at a great price. There isn't really much else to say.

The E-class is the real winner for me here. After, the pretty disappointing 2nd-gen CLK, this is a fantastic return to form. It's pricey, but I think it's worth it. It's gorgeous, and the mini-CL styling even affords it a slice of its big brother's glamor.
OHirtenfelder
I'm with Bjorn on this. The rest are good, but the Genesis has just upped it's ante so much. It gets my vote!
Altostratus
Genesis Coupe FTMFW
infinity
For me it was a toss-up between the Genesis and E Coupe. Then I realized if I had the cash for the E coupe I could just buy two Genesis and still have some $$ left over for mods thumbs_up.gif

Genesis coupe.
dukenukem
Mustang or Camaro? Too hard to pick one.
Razor
If I lived where the weather conditions weren't so harsh, I would own a Genesis 3.8 now.
fiber optic
QUOTE(dukenukem @ Feb 12 2010, 12:06 PM) *
Mustang or Camaro? Too hard to pick one.

I went with the Camaro. mellow.gif

Haha just kidding.
clarkma5
Hyundai Genesis Coupe for me, if I were to buy a car right now it'd be down to the Genesis Coupe R-Spec and the 2010 GTI so yeah. Mustang would've won if this was with the 2011 engines, though (next year...)
dukenukem
Merc: Meh .. only for old ladies and moe
Nissan: Only for girls
Mustang: Lovely looking car but just cant get other the fact that 2011 model will be just soooo much better
Camaro: Love the looks and power and the brashness (is that a word?)
Hyundai: Good car but I can never call it good looking. No matter what bodykit you slap on it.

Winner for me: Camaro
Synesthesia
QUOTE(dukenukem @ Feb 13 2010, 01:03 AM) *
brashness (is that a word?)

Yes.

I voted 'stang. I don't care that there will be a better one next year, it's still great now. I know the Genesis is great too, I don't know, I just don't like it. The exterior is awkward and the interior is boring.
Pez
QUOTE(dukenukem @ Feb 12 2010, 10:03 PM) *
Merc: Meh .. only for old ladies and moe
Nissan: Only for girls
Mustang: Lovely looking car but just cant get other the fact that 2011 model will be just soooo much better
Camaro: Love the looks and power and the brashness (is that a word?)
Hyundai: Good car but I can never call it good looking. No matter what bodykit you slap on it.

Winner for me: Camaro

My thoughts exactly, but I picked the 'stang.
BlackJack
I'm more of an import guy, so the Genesis gets my vote. It's a great all around car and like the first gen MS3, slap on a few mods and you have an awesome looking car.

Camaro is nice, but it's too 'thick'. Too big to compare to the old camaro. Mustang gets my second vote. It's surprising how they finally redid the suspension and you can actually drive it around.
SwissWhiskey
Too bad the Scirocco R isn't sold in the states.

Merc gets my vote, it looks great with proper rims.

My vote would of gone for the Camaro if it weren't that heavy. Off course there is always the Hotchkis suspension which drastically improves handling, but like the RS6, weight kills it. Lets hope the Z28 can cure that. Mustang is close behind the Camaro, but I'd rather work my ass off and get the 2011 GT500 with the new lighter engine which will definitely cure the last touches of the understeer.
DB9
2010 Mustang is such an improvement over the previous years thats its difficult not to vote for it... But, like others, the 2011 will bring the heat even more.. until then: the hyundai.
Frederf
Genesis got my vote. I really, really respect the Mustang as a great car so it's a solid 2nd place. I'm not so knowledgeable so I didn't know the 2011 is going to be better than the 2010
DB9
QUOTE(Frederf @ Feb 17 2010, 07:43 PM) *
Genesis got my vote. I really, really respect the Mustang as a great car so it's a solid 2nd place. I'm not so knowledgeable so I didn't know the 2011 is going to be better than the 2010

Yea, new 5.0 engine. The base 2011 Mustang will have nearly as much horsepower as the 2010 Mustang GT.
MustangAficionado
Genesis pretty much for the same reason everyone else gave.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.