Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: DSCOTY 2010: Compact SUVs
Dieselstation Car Forums > Parking Lot > Compare & Contrast
moe
For more on the DieselStation Car of the Year 2010 competition, please see this thread.

Chevrolet Equinox/GMC Terrain
Base MSRP:
$22,615
Available Engines: 2.4 liter inline-4 with 182 HP and 174 ft.-lbs of torque, 3.0 liter V6 with 264 HP and 222 ft.-lbs of torque
Available Transmissions: 6-speed automatic
Available Drivetrains: Front wheel drive, all wheel drive
EPA Fuel Economy: 22 City/32 Highway (2.4 FWD), 20/29 (2.4 AWD) 17/25 (3.0 FWD), 17/24 (3.0 AWD)
Curb Weight: 3761-4204 lbs.

Honda CR-V
Base MSRP:
$21,545
Available Engines: 2.4 liter DOHC i-VTEC inline-4 with 180 HP and 161 ft.-lbs of torque
Available Transmissions: 5-speed automatic
EPA Fuel Economy: 21 City/28 Highway (FWD), 21/27 (AWD)
Curb Weight: 3386-3554 lbs.

Hyundai Tucson
Base MSRP:
$18,995
Available Engines: 2.4 liter inline-4 with 176 HP and 168 ft.-lbs of torque
Available Transmissions: 6-speed manual (N/A with AWD), 6-speed automatic
EPA Fuel Economy: 22 City/30 Highway (FWD 6MT), 23/31 (FWD 6AT), 21/28 (AWD)
Curb Weight: 3178-3516 lbs.

Mazda CX-7
Base MSRP:
$22,300
Available Engines: 2.5 liter DOHC inline-4 with 161 HP and 161 ft.-lbs of torque, 2.3 liter DOHC DISI turbo inline-4 with 244 HP and 258 ft.-lbs of torque
Available Transmissions: 5-speed automatic (2.5), 6-speed automatic (2.3)
Available Drivetrains: Front wheel drive, all wheel drive (N/A on 2.5)
EPA Fuel Economy: 20 City/28 Highway (2.5), 18/25 (2.3 FWD), 17/23 (2.3 AWD)
Curb Weight: 3496-4001 lbs.

(European model pictured. Manual transmission not available on US model.)

Mitsubishi Outlander
Base MSRP:
$20,840
Available Engines: 2.4 liter DOHC MIVEC inline-4 with 168 HP and 161 ft.-lbs of torque, 3.0 liter SOHC MIVEC V6 with 230 HP and 215 ft.-lbs of torque
Available Transmissions: CVT (2.4), 6-speed automatic (V6)
EPA Fuel Economy: 21 City/27 Highway (2.4 FWD), 21/25 (2.4 AWD), 19/25 (V6 FWD), 18/24 (V6 AWD)
Curb Weight: 3527-3780 lbs.

SwissWhiskey
How about the GLK and the X1?

I went for the Mazda, aunt drives one, its not bad, but i'd rock the X1 anyday.
Razor
I'd have had the GLK.
moe
QUOTE(SwissWhiskey @ Feb 11 2010, 05:27 PM) *
How about the GLK and the X1?

I went for the Mazda, aunt drives one, its not bad, but i'd rock the X1 anyday.

QUOTE(Razor @ Feb 11 2010, 05:35 PM) *
I'd have had the GLK.

The X1 isn't sold in America, though the last-generation Toyota Highla...I mean, GLK will be in this year's DSCOTY, just not in this category. I stuck with my Terrain/Equinox vote. I really think these are the best mainstream cars GM North America has built in...well pretty much forever.
Razor
QUOTE(moe @ Feb 11 2010, 09:23 AM) *
The X1 isn't sold in America, though the last-generation Toyota Highla...I mean, GLK will be in this year's DSCOTY, just not in this category. I stuck with my Terrain/Equinox vote. I really think these are the best mainstream cars GM North America has built in...well pretty much forever.

Highlander? What?
DB9
Like i said in the previous thread, the terrain's engine is built for economy, not for fun, but it does have decent looks (at least in the front). I went for Mazda, however.
moe
QUOTE(Razor @ Feb 11 2010, 07:42 PM) *
Highlander? What?

I think the GLK looks exactly like the old Toyota Highlander.
porsche944
in the otther thread i picked the terrain solely for looks, b/c lets face it if i wanted a fun car im not buying a compact SUV. so now ill just abstain because the equinox is as ugly as the terrain is pretty. also @ the mitsu suv, THATS the car darth vader would drive, it looks like him from the front!
clarkma5
I reiterate my vote for the Equinox/Terrain, though the equinox is my pick because I think it looks far less stupid than the GMC.
moe
QUOTE(porsche944 @ Feb 12 2010, 03:15 AM) *
in the otther thread i picked the terrain solely for looks, b/c lets face it if i wanted a fun car im not buying a compact SUV. so now ill just abstain because the equinox is as ugly as the terrain is pretty. also @ the mitsu suv, THATS the car darth vader would drive, it looks like him from the front!

See this is why I separated the two to begin with...ah well.
moe
I may have to redo this segment again. I skipped the Hyundai Tucson, and it's all-new for 2010.
moe
Allright, sorry guys, but I forgot the 2010 Hyundai Tucson which was too significant to leave out as it's all-new (and pretty sexy for an SUV if I might say so myself). I'm sure many of you may want your votes changed, so just let me know what you voted for originally, and what you want it changed to and I'll take care of it. Sorry I've been a bit sloppy with this category.

So back to the SUVs, I really, really want to vote the Tucson, but I still prefer the butch looks of the Terrain.
Razor
QUOTE(moe @ Feb 12 2010, 06:58 AM) *
Allright, sorry guys, but I forgot the 2010 Hyundai Tucson which was too significant to leave out as it's all-new (and pretty sexy for an SUV if I might say so myself). I'm sure many of you may want your votes changed, so just let me know what you voted for originally, and what you want it changed to and I'll take care of it. Sorry I've been a bit sloppy with this category.

So back to the SUVs, I really, really want to vote the Tucson, but I still prefer the butch looks of the Terrain.

Change my vote from Equinox/Terrain to Tucson.
DB9
Haha the tuscon offers a manual? I'll have to mull over this decision a little more...
moe
QUOTE(Razor @ Feb 12 2010, 10:13 PM) *
Change my vote from Equinox/Terrain to Tucson.

Done.

Funnily enough, I went out to see my girlfriend after editing this thread, and saw the new Tucson on the road. It looks even better in reality.
Bjorn
The Mazda is gorgeous, I always stare when one drives by . . . and I hate this segment.
Mr b00st
Voted for the Hyundai, which i seem to find myself doing a lot lately. My order of preference here would be:

1) Hyundai Tuscon. Far and away the best looking to me, efficient powertrain, killer warranty, friendly dealers....
2) CR-V. My mom's got one, it's fantastic, but it's quite bland next to the new Tucson. Sure is nice to drive though, if you're not in a hurry.
3) Mitsubishi Outlander. Mainly for the torque-vectoring AWD system in the GT model.

the Evil Empire twins don't interest me, and I'm not sold on the CX-7.
moe
I'm changing my vote from the GM twins to the Tucson. I just feel it's a better car, if not the best in the segment.
BlackJack
After looking at this again, I'd like to change my vote to the Tuscon.

I saw one yesterday on the road (test drive it seems) and it really caught my attention.
moe
QUOTE(BlackJack @ Feb 14 2010, 10:37 PM) *
After looking at this again, I'd like to change my vote to the Tuscon.

I saw one yesterday on the road (test drive it seems) and it really caught my attention.

What was your original vote for?
BlackJack
GM twins.
moe
Done.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.