Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: DSCOTY 2010: Compacts
Dieselstation Car Forums > Parking Lot > Compare & Contrast
moe
For more on the DieselStation Car of the Year 2010 competition, please see this thread.

Audi A3 TDI
Base MSRP:
$29,950
Available Engines: 2.0 liter turbo direct injection clean diesel inline-4 with 140 HP and 236 ft.-lbs of torque
Available Transmissions: 6-speed dual-clutch automatic with hydraulic control
Available Drivetrains: Front wheel drive
EPA Fuel Economy: 30 City/34 Highway
Curb Weight: 3219 lbs.

Kia Forte/Forte Koup
Base MSRP:
$13,695
Available Engines: 2.0 liter inline-4 with 156 HP and 144 ft.-lbs of torque, 2.4 liter inline-4 with 173 HP and 168 ft.-lbs
Available Transmissions: 5-speed manual (2.0), 6-speed manual (2.4), 4-speed automatic (2.0 EX), 5-speed automatic (2.0 LX and 2.4 SX, N/A on 2.4 SX Koup)
EPA Fuel Economy: 25 City/34 Highway (2.0 manual and 4-speed auto), 27/36 (2.0 5-speed auto), 22/31 (2.4 5-speed auto), 22/32 (2.4 6-speed manual)
Curb Weight: 2707-2875 lbs.

Mazda 3
Base MSRP:
$16,045
Available Engines: 2.0 liter DOHC inline-4 with 148 HP and 135 ft.-lbs of torque , 2.5 liter DOHC inline-4 with 167 HP and 168 ft.-lbs of torque
Available Transmissions: 5-speed manual (2.0), 6-speed manual (2.5), 5-speed auto
EPA Fuel Economy: 25 City/33 Highway (2.0 manual), 24/33 (2.0 auto), 21/29 (2.5 manual), 22/29 (2.5 auto)
Curb Weight: 2868-3025 lbs.

Mitsubishi Lancer Sportback
Base MSRP:
$19,935
Available Engines: 2.4 liter DOHC inline-4 with 168 HP and 167 ft.-lbs of torque
Available Transmissions: 5-speed manual, CVT
EPA Fuel Economy: 20 City/27 Highway (manual), 21/27 (CVT)
Curb Weight: 3098-3164 lbs.

Volkswagen Golf
Base MSRP:
$17,620
Available Engines: 2.4 liter inline-5 with 170 HP and 177 ft.-lbs of torque, 2.0 liter turbo diesel inline-4 with 140 HP and 235 ft.-lbs of torque
Available Transmissions: 5-speed manual (2.4), 6-speed manual (TDI), 6-speed automatic (2.4), DSG (TDi)
EPA Fuel Economy: 23 City/30 Highway (2.4 5MT), 23/30 (2.4 6AT), 30/41 (TDI 6MT), 30/42 (TDI DSG)
Curb Weight: 2969-3041 lbs.

Aircooled
Audi- Too pricey for the segment

Kia- Yearight

Mazda- Hideous front end

Mitsu- Drone box cvt wut?

VW- Just right
caster
I know its more expensive than anything else, but G-d do I love A3s. I sometimes wonder if I should of picked up an S-Line one verses my car. The TDI makes it that much better and adding Quattro seals the deal. (Btw you didn't list AWD as a drivetrain)
Razor
Audi - Overpriced, but damn good.

Kia - Hmmmmm...

Mazda - SMILE FOR THE CAMERA!

Lancer - I like the looks, but... just... no.

Golf - It's good, but it's also insanely boring.

Koup FTMFW.

QUOTE(caster @ Feb 10 2010, 06:56 PM) *
I know its more expensive than anything else, but G-d do I love A3s. I sometimes wonder if I should of picked up an S-Line one verses my car. The TDI makes it that much better and adding Quattro seals the deal. (Btw you didn't list AWD as a drivetrain)

There is no AWD on the TDI model. It is just an overpriced Golf TDI.
Bjorn
Audi: I like it, but it's more than twice as expensive as the cheapest car here.

Kia: good looking, keeping Kia fresh, and non Hyundai ish, which given the new Sonata is not a bad thing.

Mazda: I love the new 3, in wagon form that is. I was considering one before I bought the Legacy.

Mitsubushi: Ugly, more $$ than the golf?? WTF Mitsubishi, what is it about this car that justifies nearly $20,000?

VW: Serious tossup between this and the Mazda.

Its hard choosing between the Mazda and the the VW for me, but I think the Mk. VI deserves mad props.
clarkma5
Gotta give it to the Kia Forte for being so damned good for such a great price...they look good inside and out, they supposedly are a match for the Mazda 3 in terms of driving dynamics, they're super well-equipped, they get reasonably good mileage, etc. etc.

A very well-deserved honorable mention to the Golf for being pretty much everything the MkV should've been.
OHirtenfelder
I was gonna vote Audi, but only then did I see the Kia, and the voted for that.
I have driven the new Cerato (Forte) and it really is a BRILLIANT package, especially for the price. And seeing as how the Koup is in the same category, I couldn't not vote for it. Definitely the best looking car here by a mile!
caster
QUOTE(Razor @ Feb 10 2010, 04:10 PM) *
There is no AWD on the TDI model. It is just an overpriced Golf TDI.

Ahh...I checked the website before I posted that just to make sure, but when I skipped over the fact that it says TFSI and not TDI..
moe
I voted for the Kia. Both the sedan and the Koup both look absolutely brilliant, and are up there with the class best. I've come to expect excellence from VW and Mazda in this segment, but the Kia is genuinely deserving of the win here. The Audi's nice, but the Golf TDI is better value, and I don't care much for the Lancer.
b0mb3r
I really like the Kia Koup... but I know that Golf is better built...
BlackJack
I went for the Golf as it's the best looking and the best bang for the buck.

I saw the Koup the other day in person and it's a lot smaller than expected.
Aircooled
The Golf better win!!
Vadvagool
Sat in a Forte and I was pretty impressed. My dad drove one and he was pretty impressed too.
Altostratus
forte koup for me.
moe
Thread will close tomorrow, we can't honestly have a second VW victory can we? I mean just look at the Koup.
infinity
Stop pushing your arab propaganda on us and just mod the DSCOTY forums

heart.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.