Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: DSCOTY 2010: Subcompacts
Dieselstation Car Forums > Parking Lot > Compare & Contrast
moe
For more on the DieselStation Car of the Year 2010 competition, please see this thread.

Kia Soul
Base MSRP:
$13,300
Available Engines: 1.6 liter inline-4 with 122 HP and 115 ft.-lbs of torque, 2.0 liter inline-4 with 142 HP and 137 ft.-lbs of torque
Available Transmissions: 5-speed manual, 4-speed automatic (N/A on 1.6)
Available Drivetrains: Front wheel drive
EPA Fuel Economy: 26 City/31 Highway (1.6), 24/30 (2.0)
Curb Weight: 2560-2820 lbs.

Suzuki SX4 Sportback
Base MSRP:
$17,949
Available Engines: 2.0 liter inline-four with 150 HP and 140 ft.-lbs of torque
Available Transmissions: 6-speed manual, CVT
Available Drivetrains: Front wheel drive
EPA Fuel Economy: 23 City/30 Highway
Curb Weight: 2732 lbs.

Razor
Shame there are only two this year, but I have a feeling this will be a 100% sweep or really, really damn close to it.

EDIT: Someone voted for the Suzuki? Really?
Bjorn
^IIRC Clark is a big fan of the SX4. I don't think it looks nearly as good as the outgoing model.

As far as I'm concerned, the Soul could win the whole thing outright. Looks good, apparently drives OK. It's fresh and a chance for Kia to redefine themselves in North America, while distancing themselves from Hyundai.
moe
@ Razor: What's wrong with that? The Suzuki's a perfectly capable little car, though I wish they'd coupled the AWD system to the Sportback's more conventional styling.

This is kind of a gap year though. Next year will see the launch of the Fiesta, Mazda 2, and VW Polo, which are probably three of the best subcompacts on sale anywhere. So it'll be interesting. I did vote for the Kia myself. I've see them on the street, and I think it's a very, very characterful little car.

Bjorn, the crossover-style SX4 and sedan are still available. This is an addition to the range.
UserDrew
This is it for 2010?
clarkma5
The SX4 is a great little car but the Soul is probably that much better.
Synesthesia
QUOTE(UserDrew @ Feb 9 2010, 09:17 PM) *
This is it for 2010?

No, actually, it's not. It's for 2003.
Razor
QUOTE(Synesthesia @ Feb 9 2010, 11:37 PM) *
No, actually, it's not. It's for 2003.

You are a LIAR. 1996.

tongue.gif
caster
Can we move on to a more interesting category, hyping people up with subcompacts wasn't the best idea..lol jp biggrin.gif
moe
QUOTE(caster @ Feb 10 2010, 11:17 AM) *
Can we move on to a more interesting category, hyping people up with subcompacts wasn't the best idea..lol jp biggrin.gif

I was being lazy, and it was the easiest category to do, but I've hooked you guys up with Boy Racers now...so go vote.
Synesthesia
QUOTE(UserDrew @ Feb 9 2010, 09:17 PM) *
This is it for 2010?

Heh, now I'm guessing you meant "this is all there is for 2010", not "this is DSCOTY 2010"... tongue.gif
UserDrew
yeah, I was thought there would be more options for 2010 in this category.
Mr b00st
what happened to the AWD SX4? I want my vote back sad.gif
moe
Do you want to change it to the Soul, or just get rid of it all together? The AWD SX4 is still available, but not with the more conventional Sportback body-style.
moe
If you haven't gotten your votes in, do it tonight. I'll lock it sometime tomorrow afternoon (my afternoon).
BlackJack
Soul for me because well, it's the only one out of 2 listed that actually has soul.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.